Size of Sys volume RRS feed

• Question

• Is there away of forcing a larger system volume than 10gb?

Reason I ask is that I upgraded to CTP and installed the new Connect software and it re-enabled backups for my primary pc which should not have been a huge issue as I have, or so I thought, sufficient storage space to cover the 325gb backup.

Since the initial backup I keep getting reaccuring 'warning's that the sys volume has less than 5gb of free space but by the time I check from the remote desktop, I've always got 6+gb.

I've gone through the drive and there is not much that can be trimmed away that I can find...

Checking again this morning, my data volume is now down to 1.99gb of free space but that should not be an issue with the 'sys' warnings.

Also, since the pc backup I am getting the dreaded non-stop 'disk balancing' that never seems to end.  It was up to 132% completed yesterday prior to the reboot for the Tuesday patch installs.

Speaking of which, you'd think there would be a way to tag IE 7 to not be downloaded to WHS considering we are not suppose to log into it for every day use....

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 3:29 PM

Answers

•  

1. The Sys volume was increased to 20Gig in the later builds.

2. There were known issues with size reporting in CTP build. So trust what Disk Management/Explorer says.

3. I'm presuming the 132% shown is for Backup clean up (since storage balancing never shows progress %). This is a known issue as well. This text gets reset after a server restart. Nothing to worry about, just stale status.

4. IE 7 is marked as a mandatory update for Windows Server 2003, which is what WHS is based on. So this has to be installed, no matter whether the console is actively loggedinto or not.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 3:39 PM

All replies

•  

1. The Sys volume was increased to 20Gig in the later builds.

2. There were known issues with size reporting in CTP build. So trust what Disk Management/Explorer says.

3. I'm presuming the 132% shown is for Backup clean up (since storage balancing never shows progress %). This is a known issue as well. This text gets reset after a server restart. Nothing to worry about, just stale status.

4. IE 7 is marked as a mandatory update for Windows Server 2003, which is what WHS is based on. So this has to be installed, no matter whether the console is actively loggedinto or not.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 3:39 PM
  • Thanks for the info.

Maybe I will do a new clean install to increase the size of the sys volume.... will get rid of the red critical warning about drive spacing being below 5gb hopefully.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 4:29 PM
  • Where did you hear that newer builds will have a 20GB SYS (C:\) volume?

If this is true how does an upgrade work? 

Can you use something like a Partition Magic to shrink the D:\ and expande the C:\?

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 4:53 PM
  •  Pugsly0014 wrote:

Where did you hear that newer builds will have a 20GB SYS (C:\) volume?

If this is true how does an upgrade work? 

Can you use something like a Partition Magic to shrink the D:\ and expande the C:\?

He is on the "Windows Home Server Team" so I think he sould know it will be 20GB.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 5:12 PM
  •  

Anonymous,

I had a similiar problem with the red critical warning about drive space being below 5GB on the SYS drive.  I was able to fix this by deleting several log files created by WHS. Dileep K, a member of the Windows Home Server Team,  describes in this post (link) where to find these logs and how to safely remove them.

If you need to submit a problem report the logs would be needed by MS to evaluate the problem so you will need to submit the report with the logs before they are deleted.  Just in case, I moved the logs to a flash drive for safe keeping in case they were needed again.  Then I deleted them from the SYS Drive (C: ) on the server.

Hope this helps you out like it did me.

Regards,

Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:57 AM