CRM 4.0 Client wont connect RRS feed

• Question

• We have the Outlook Client installed on a number of workstations for CRM 4.0 in Laptop mode (offline access) and whilst the installation went OK, when we select to configure Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook, we get the following message on all machines:

"The configuration wizard cannot connect to the microsoft crm server. this might indicate that the server is down"

CRM is configured to use either of these Intranet addresses:
    http://crm
    http://SERVER:5555
    http://[externalurl]

what i have checked:
    1. obvious one, can access CRM from all three urls
    2. nslookup for both to make sure they are pointing to the right place
    3. have uninstalled client and reinstalled
    4. tried changing the intranet to the extrnalurl (made the dns entries)

at a loss, the server is up and can be accessed in Internet Explorer
    4. have uninstalled client and applied rollup patch 5 (CRM server is uptodate with patches)

Mark Masiak Infologic.uk.com
    Monday, July 20, 2009 5:49 PM

Answers

• fixed this:

It would appear that one of the Data Entris in MSCRM_CONFIG.dbo.DeploymentProperties was missing:

the Value in NVarCharColumn should be SERVERNAME:5555

for each of the following Rows with ColumnName:
    ADSdkRootDomain
    ADWebApplicationRootDomain
    AsyncSdkRootDomain

or

USE MSCRM_CONFIG
    Update dbo.DeploymentProperties SET NVarCharColumn = '<server>:<port>' WHERE ColumnName = 'AsyncSdkRootDomain'
    Update dbo.DeploymentProperties SET NvarCharColumn = '<server>:<port>' WHERE ColumnName = 'ADSdkRootDomain'
    Update dbo.DeploymentProperties SET NvarCharColumn = '<server>:<port>' WHERE ColumnName = 'ADWebApplicationRootDomain'

• Marked as answer by Mark-Masiak Monday, January 11, 2010 6:26 PM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 6:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

Make sure the laptop or computer where you installed CRM Client are in the same domain as CRM.
    Best Regards,
    Gagandeep Singh
    http://mscrmnovice.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, July 20, 2009 7:40 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mark-Masiak Monday, July 27, 2009 6:56 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2009 7:12 PM
  • tx

they are both in the same domain

however i have just been trying to run config wizard remotely and get a different error

"the underlying connection was closed: an unexpected error occured on receive"
    "mandatory updates for Microsoft Dynamics CRM could not be applied successfully. try running the application again"

mark

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:14 PM
  • ok i have located the problem

i've put some monitoring on 

the CRM Server was moved a few weeks back from SERVERDC01 to SERVERMS02 

the browser/nslookup/dns all point to SERVERMS02

The CRM Wizard has cached somewhere SERVERDC01 as the location of the CRM Server, where will that be registery, ini file, Outlook?

Mark

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:22 PM
  • Try running the configuration wizard and enter the IP address of the new CRM machine.  See if that works.
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Monday, July 27, 2009 7:13 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mark-Masiak Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:38 AM
    Monday, July 27, 2009 7:13 PM
  • thanks donna

i had tried that, i've been searching through the registry too and cant see anything obvious.

mark
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:39 AM
  • Did you run a search in the registry for the value of the old server.  if you find it, backup the registry and change the value to your new server.

Also check your IE settings and ensure the old server is not listed in any of the trusted sites.  Clear all cookies, cache, history, etc. and close the browser.

Best Regards, Donna
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:41 PM
  • if your server name changed then re-set your SPN on the server.
    Look at your dns setting and flush your dns if possible.
    Tiaan van Niekerk http://crmdelacreme.blogspot.com Skype:tiaan.van.niekerk1
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:40 AM
  • Yes Donna had searched through the registry

Tiaan had reset the DNS and flushed DNS and ARP

i did notice that the uninstall had not totaly cleard the SQL info so i removed all of the SQL from the machine which still didn't work

Have also tried the IP address that didn't work

i have resolved this now though by tricking the computer to thinking that SERVERDC01 is SERVERMS02 

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

entered

SERVERDC01     [IP of SERVERMS02]

this allowed me to install and setup with the correct server location etc however it still insists that the CRM server is located at SERVERDC01 so i can't remove this entry

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:08 PM
  • This is a shot in the dark, but it may help lead you to a solution.

When you moved the CRM server, did you just move the database and install against an existing database or did you do a full on redeployment?

In the mscrm_config database, check the deployment properties table and review the nvarcharcolumn for any entries pointing to the old url.

This KB may provide more insight as well:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/970630

• Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:37 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mark-Masiak Monday, January 11, 2010 5:02 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:55 PM
  • it's been a long time and I've been operating without CRM Client but really need the client installed now so refresh:

Originally CRM 4.0 was installed on SERVERDC01 on SBS 2003 on IP ...10

we then Installed SBS 2008 on SERVERDC02 on IP ...14
          but moved CRM to SERVERMS02 on IP ...18
          The SQL SQLServer 2008 was also installed on SERVERMS02
          IIS is configured with ports/headers
              SERVERMS02:5555
              CRM:80
              crm.domain.com:80 (external access)

All the Servers and desktops are connected to the SBS2008 Domain and are all up to date.

the client install was then trying to connect to the old SERVERDC01 so using the hosts file tricked it until there was a sync error and the client needed to be removed.

I've not been able to get the client to configure since then. Last week I tried to rename the SERVERMS02...18 back to SERVERDC01...18/10 as that server is now decommissioned.

I tried configuring again but got this error:

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Configuration Wizard?

The configuration wizard cannot connect to the Microsoft CRM server. This might indicate that the server is down.

I’ve now installed CRM UPDATE 7 and CRM UPDATE 8 on the CRM Server SERVERDC01...18/10 and tried the client install.

I’ve watched the client install and its now going to the correct server CRM:80 at the right IP ...18:5555 but fails with

Unable to connect to the remote server

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not

properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed

because connected host has failed to respond ...14:5555

I’ve tried connecting to http://...18:5555 but it comes back with the same error:

Unable to connect to the remote server

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not

properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed

because connected host has failed to respond ...14:5555

The IP ...14 belongs to the SBS Server SERVERDC01...14   nothing ever to do with the CRM except the AD?

I’ve also tried creating a security certificate for the server but it still comes back with the same error when connecting with a SSL

Monday, January 11, 2010 6:05 PM
  • fixed this:

It would appear that one of the Data Entris in MSCRM_CONFIG.dbo.DeploymentProperties was missing:

the Value in NVarCharColumn should be SERVERNAME:5555

for each of the following Rows with ColumnName:
    ADSdkRootDomain
    ADWebApplicationRootDomain
    AsyncSdkRootDomain

or

USE MSCRM_CONFIG
    Update dbo.DeploymentProperties SET NVarCharColumn = '<server>:<port>' WHERE ColumnName = 'AsyncSdkRootDomain'
    Update dbo.DeploymentProperties SET NvarCharColumn = '<server>:<port>' WHERE ColumnName = 'ADSdkRootDomain'
    Update dbo.DeploymentProperties SET NvarCharColumn = '<server>:<port>' WHERE ColumnName = 'ADWebApplicationRootDomain'

• Marked as answer by Mark-Masiak Monday, January 11, 2010 6:26 PM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 6:26 PM
  • I too ran into this problem after installing Rollup 7&9. Does anyone know if the rollups remove the value in 'AsyncSdkRootDomain'? Things were fine until we applied the rollups.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 6:44 PM
  • The other references in this post are regarding people who actually moved their CRM machine.  I haven't heard of an issue with the rollups wiping out values in the AsyncSDKRootDomain.

Regards, Donna

Windows Live Blog

Friday, April 30, 2010 7:06 PM
  • If all the value under MS_CONFIG are correct. please  check the CRM server is in same Domain and check that Port used(5555) is not blocked in Firewall
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:16 PM