Why does microsfot security essentials not work on my windows home server? RRS feed

• Question

• Beside the obviouse reasons, why doesn't windows secuerty essentials not work on my whs? why do they not make a corpate server edition that will be compatible with server 2003? or do they have a competing product that I haven't read about. I am a home user that has 6 differnt computers that I work from and hate the idea of not having an AV for my server. After reading posts for hours, I haven't found a definet answer or an affordable alternative.

Thanks,

Rob
    Monday, December 21, 2009 12:31 PM

Answers

• Microsoft has no anti-virus/malware products for Windows Home Server, whether free or paid.

There are a few AV vendors that have products specifically for Windows Home Server, however. There's Avast! and fSecure that you can buy, there's a version of McAfee that some OEMs distribute with their servers, and there's even a version of Bitdefender that the publisher says will work on your server. I have Avast!, and like the fact that it integrates into the console and permits monitoring of antivirus status on all connected home computers.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 21, 2009 2:23 PM

All replies

• Microsoft has no anti-virus/malware products for Windows Home Server, whether free or paid.

There are a few AV vendors that have products specifically for Windows Home Server, however. There's Avast! and fSecure that you can buy, there's a version of McAfee that some OEMs distribute with their servers, and there's even a version of Bitdefender that the publisher says will work on your server. I have Avast!, and like the fact that it integrates into the console and permits monitoring of antivirus status on all connected home computers.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 21, 2009 2:23 PM
  • i am usng avast as well. How do i get rid of the old mcaffe that came preinstalled?

also avast just monitors but does not defend the other computers right?
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:13 AM