help! my hp mediasmart server thinks it's in evaluation mode! RRS feed

• Question

•  

This morning my hp server decided to throw a 'critical warning'. when i went to check it now complains

"0 days remain before your evaluation copy of windows home server expires".

any idea how to fix this? could it be related to the fact that it is now 1/1/08 ?

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 9:39 PM

Answers

• It's a bug that both HP and Microsoft are aware of. Hope we get a fix soon. It shouldn't impact your WHS system other than the warning.

Terry

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 10:01 PM

All replies

• It's a bug that both HP and Microsoft are aware of. Hope we get a fix soon. It shouldn't impact your WHS system other than the warning.

Terry

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 10:01 PM
  • Has this been fixed?  I just started getting this warning today.  I have to say this looks very "unprofessional".

Saturday, February 9, 2008 7:05 AM
  • Keith

I havent seen any additional responses on this from HP. My advice would be to contact HP if you are experiencing this.

Just to clarify, this bug ONLY affects HP MediaSmarts.

Andrew

Saturday, February 9, 2008 7:38 AM
  •  

I don't think that the bug is limited to HP MediaSmarts.  I have an oem built system (read built by ME), with an activated copy of WHS, and I've gotten the warning on a couple of occasions. Each time I get the warning, I've checked for updates (there were none), and checked the status of my system's activation (replies "already activated").  The warning eventually disappears, and the server status icon goes from red to green.

System function has not been impaired at any time ...although the same can't be said of my heart. 

I hope the bug is fixed soon.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 9:51 PM
  • http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01291962&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3548165&lang=en

This document applies to HP MediaSmart Server EX470 and EX475.
    After a user transfers several hundred gigabytes of data to the HP MediaSmart Server, a notification via the task tray appears on all clients. The dialog box for this notification informs the clients connected to the server on the network that their trial license of the Windows Home Server is about to expire, prompting them to upgrade. This dialog box is erroneous and should be ignored. Simply close the dialog box and continue using the MediaSmart Server. This message may appear more than once.
    The operating system is automatically activated during the first installation/setup. There is no need to activate the unit after setup.
    The cause at this time is unknown. Hewlett Packard and Microsoft are working together to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

Friday, February 29, 2008 2:27 AM
  • I've been encountering this exact same issue on a freshly DIY build using an eval copy downloaded directly from the MS site. I did notice it started after copying nearly 1TB of data from a workstation to the WHS shares, though that occurred mere hours after completing the initial install and setup (just clarifying that it may or may not be directly related to the data copy to the shares, I didn't have enough time between install and populating the shares to say one way or the other).

However, it continues to show up occasionally, lasts for a short while, then reverts back to healthy with a 08/27/09 expiration date.

As a new user I am seriously shocked/frightened that my freshly built server was about to become unusable via some odd bug. Then relieved when it magically fixed itself. Then shocked again. Then relieved again. ;)

I'm not looking forward to this going on indefinitely particularly after reading a couple reports here where this occurs even AFTER actually registering/activating.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 4:10 PM