SYS volume is failing RRS feed

• Question

• It's now almost every day that the yellow network health warning pops up, it reports that the SYS volume is failing and needs to be repaired. After running the repair task (which does a chkdsk scan and rebuilds the server storage index) I am fine for a day or two, until I get the next warning...

How can I find out what is causing it ? I looked through the log files, and in qsm.log I find these log lines repeatedly (don't know if they are causing the warnings though):

Monitor::CheckDisk FmIfsFinished MSG:CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)..

ERROR: could not get free space for volume c482adad-d499-4238-8e74-2b3428c09e12 (0x80070003)
    ERROR: could not get free space for volume 466d0d60-99d5-4afa-8bf4-7c6706867609 (0x80070003)

I do not think that there is anything physically wrong with the drive, I ran a drive check just recently and everything seemed fine. It would be great if anyone could help me with this...

Thanks,
    Dirk

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 6:01 PM

Answers

• Dirk, in every case I've seen, when you get into a repeated cycle of chkdsk/more errors/chkdsk again/more errors/lather/rinse/repeat, you have a hard drive (or controller, but more likely the drive) that's about to fail. So planning now to replace it is the right thing to do.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 8:27 PM
  • Also, if it's plugged into a faulty UPS it can cause weird issues as well.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:38 PM
  • I've been experiencing the same behavior where every day or so, WHS will report that the SYS drive is failing. Running repair as well as CHKDSK seemed to temporarily resolve the problem but it always returned.

In any event, the problem was that my primary hard drive was overheating. I didn't discover this until running some extended drive diagnostics which indicated that the drive was reporting a SMART heat warning. I installed a new 90mm fan in front of my drives and they are running at a steady 38 degrees Celsius and the "drive failing" message has yet to reappear.

Hopefully this will help others who are at their wits end.

Cheers,
    Ted
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 5:43 AM
  • We aren't ignoring the problem, we are treating this issue with the appropriate priority.  And this is NOT connected to the KB946676 bug.  Answers do not come overnight or after a few days when I have to go work with the PMs and Developers, go to meetings to discuss the issue, and then give them time to analyse and try to figure out a solution.

We are changing the way we collect logs in a forthcoming update and looking at a solution to deal with False Positives and how often CHKDSK runs and how home server will try to inform the user when it thinks something is going wrong with a disk. 

Quite a few of these SYS... messages have been reporting problems with hard drives, while some have not. 

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 1:33 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

We aren't ignoring the problem, we are treating this issue with the appropriate priority.  And this is NOT connected to the KB946676 bug.  Answers do not come overnight or after a few days when I have to go work with the PMs and Developers, go to meetings to discuss the issue, and then give them time to analyse and try to figure out a solution.

We are changing the way we collect logs in a forthcoming update and looking at a solution to deal with False Positives and how often CHKDSK runs and how home server will try to inform the user when it thinks something is going wrong with a disk. 

Quite a few of these SYS... messages have been reporting problems with hard drives, while some have not. 

Bump back to the answer I gave over a month ago ... The forthcoming update is "Power Pack 1"

It helps to read the answered posts in the thread.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:53 PM

All replies

• Try downloading UBCD and using it to test your hard drive.  It sounds as if you have a malfunctioning drive, but not necessarily bad sectors.  The problem could be in the firmware or SMART section of the drive.  See what UBCD provides for you.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:45 PM

•  mtgarden wrote:
    Try downloading UBCD and using it to test your hard drive. It sounds as if you have a malfunctioning drive, but not necessarily bad sectors. The problem could be in the firmware or SMART section of the drive. See what UBCD provides for you.

Thanks for pointing me to UBCD, this is really a neat tool. I ran the Seatools on the drive, but it reported no errors. It's now every day that the server status changes to yellow because of the failing SYS volume. Interestingly, after I run "Repair" from the WHS console, it turns green again - but when I run chkdsk afterwards again, it still reports errors with the filesystem. It suggests to run it with /f /r, and after doing this (it gets scheduled for the next boot since it cant lock the drive), and running chkdks again, it still reports the same error. This makes me believe that it might not actually be a physical problem, but something hosed in the WHS internal structures.

Anyway, to rule out a physical defect, I ordered a new disk as a replacement. Since I don't know of any way to clone the C: and D: drive to avoid reinstalling everything right now, I probably wait until RC1 comes out where most likely I will have to do a new install anyway.

Thanks for the feedback,

Dirk

Friday, May 18, 2007 6:31 PM
  • Dirk, in every case I've seen, when you get into a repeated cycle of chkdsk/more errors/chkdsk again/more errors/lather/rinse/repeat, you have a hard drive (or controller, but more likely the drive) that's about to fail. So planning now to replace it is the right thing to do.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 8:27 PM
  • Hi Dirk,

I have had the same issue, I initially thought it was the hard drive so replaced it with a new 320G Seagate PATA Drive. I re-installed WHS and within a week experienced the same issue. I then assumed it must be the hard drive controller, so I swapped the drives around so that the system drive was on the second ATA controller. Again the problem went away to then come back. I then decided it must be the M/board (it was an old A7N8X running a Athlon 2400XP).

I went out and bought a new M/B, CPU & RAM (Core 2 Duo). Re-installed RTM version of WHS and again one week later have had the same issue. I have changed the drives around and the problem seems to re-occur. When I 'repair' the drive the issue goes away for a few days.

It is interesting to note that this issue only warrants a yellow warning and is not rated as severe. I would be keen to better understand what determines the 'SYS volume failing' error.

Cheers
    Paul.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 10:08 AM
  • Evening,

I don't know if it's the same in your case, but I had problems similar to this, which turned out to be a failing power supply.

HTH,

Colin

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 5:09 PM
  • I've been seeing the same problem for the last 2-3 weeks.  sys volume goes yellow every couple days, run repair and all's well for a while.  I've downloaded the ultimate boot cd and run the vendor specific tools on the drive (a Seagate 300 gb PATA) and not found any problems.  No SMART errors reported at all.   I guess it could be a power supply that's starting to go but I would think one of the five other internal drives would be having issues as well (not to mention the mobo, memory, cpu).

Is there a  WHS specific log file we should be checking to determine what is actually causing the drive to be flagged as failing? I'd actually put this on the back burner since I was planning on ordering a replacement hard drive. 

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 10:18 PM
  • I contemplated whether it was the power supply, but it is a high end unit running 5 internal hard drives, plus M/B, Vid Card,... I would have thought other components would have had issues if the PS was failing.

I can not see how this could be it, yet I must admit it is the only common factor through all the changes I have made. I am interested to see if this is a common fault that people have seen?

Cheers

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 10:10 AM
  • Also, if it's plugged into a faulty UPS it can cause weird issues as well.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:38 PM
  • Is there any information logged about what is failing?  My SYS drive is listed in the WHS console as Unhealthy (was healthy last night before I went to bed) and there's nothing in any of the event logs to indicate any errors.  There may be some buried in the WHS logs (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs) but I'm not finding anything obvious.

What symptoms make a drive appear "Unhealthy" to WHS?

tomf

Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:40 PM
  • I've been experiencing the same behavior where every day or so, WHS will report that the SYS drive is failing. Running repair as well as CHKDSK seemed to temporarily resolve the problem but it always returned.

In any event, the problem was that my primary hard drive was overheating. I didn't discover this until running some extended drive diagnostics which indicated that the drive was reporting a SMART heat warning. I installed a new 90mm fan in front of my drives and they are running at a steady 38 degrees Celsius and the "drive failing" message has yet to reappear.

Hopefully this will help others who are at their wits end.

Cheers,
    Ted
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 5:43 AM
  • Strange as it sounds, it seems that the UPS may have been my issue.  I was running about 70% capacity on a 350 VA UPS so I didn't think that would be an issue but it must have been spiking higher or mis-reporting capacity.  I swapped in an 800 VA UPS and the SYS volume failures have dissappeared.

Thanks Joel!

I'd still like to see some detail on what WHS is using to determine that the drive is failing since there is nothing in the event log and nothing obvious in the WHS logs.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 4:46 PM
  • UPS only have a 2 year life or sometimes less.  Whether they appear to work or not, when they go bad they cause major problems.  :-)  Glad it helped!
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 8:03 PM
  •  

I also have a failing SYS drive. I am going to try the UBCD to check the drive integrity, but as the system case on my WHS has been very warm to the touch lately I suspect the drive may be overheating.

Is there a method in place to swap out the sys drive? the storage pool on all other installed drives needs to be seperated because they are linked by default) can I able to at least syphon off any user data stored on it, like with the other drives "remove" option?

Having to rebuild WHS from scratch every time including a users sys drive needed replacing would realy suck the big one. 

Monday, August 13, 2007 3:18 AM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:
    UPS only have a 2 year life or sometimes less.  Whether they appear to work or not, when they go bad they cause major problems.  :-)  Glad it helped!

I've never had one that lasted 2 years.  The batteries always die on me and they cost more to replace than the ups does when you add shipping.

Friday, September 28, 2007 4:11 AM

I´ve change computer and
    the same behavior where every day or so comes back.

Have anyone get this right?
    ///Bizit
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 7:18 AM
  •  Jeshimon wrote:

Joel Burt wrote:
    UPS only have a 2 year life or sometimes less.  Whether they appear to work or not, when they go bad they cause major problems.  :-)  Glad it helped!

I've never had one that lasted 2 years.  The batteries always die on me and they cost more to replace than the ups does when you add shipping.

I too had noticed that my home UPS units (typical small, 350 - 500 consumer-oriented APC units) were only lasting 1-2 years; however, the larger (1200 - 2000) APC UPSs I purchased for work were at 7+ years and still ticking.  So I bought 2 APC 1200 UPSs for the home and they have been running for over 4 years now, and the work UPSs are still going as well.

Monday, November 12, 2007 2:36 PM
  •  

My $0.02

I was getting regular error messages about my sys drive as well.  I plugged the PC into a non-battery backed-up outlet and pulled out the UPS' USB cable, and the problem disappeared.  I am now testing to see if the UPS was simply overloaded, or if the battery is failing, or if the UPS iself is failing. 

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:29 PM

• I am currently experiencing the same. My UPC is not even a month old.
    The SYS harddrive has been purchased specially for the server about 4 months ago. All SMART diagnostics are green, no problems reported...

I never had an UPC before so I am majorly confused now how this can happen at all...

Has it "oficially" been acknowledged that the UPC is the problem?
    What exactly is happening and why is only the SYS drive affected?
    Is "it" concerning the complete drive including the DATA partition?
    Can I ignore the issue as long as the independantly read out SMART values are OK?
    Sunday, November 25, 2007 3:22 PM
  • I hade the same thing happening to me yesterday after installing the latest AVAST antivirus.

Never had this problem before, so I removed AVAST and the problem went away.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 3:53 PM

• So did anybody find out yet what exactly is urging WHS to describe a drive as imminently failing?

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:58 PM
  •  jdifool wrote:

So did anybody find out yet what exactly is urging WHS to describe a drive as imminently failing?

Something about the UPS service, if I am diagnosing my problem right.

I said above that moving my WHS off the battery backup onto a normal outlet solved my problem.  It ran this way for about 2 weeks without seeing the error message pop up again.  I thought it was a dying UPS or something.

So I bought a new APC 850W (overkill) UPS and hooked it up.  Within two days I saw the same message. 

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 8:57 PM
  • Nope.  I've seen this error, I wont have a UPS any more.  I feel strongly that they are a waste of energy, time and money.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 11:09 PM
  • I have a brand new HP MediaSmart server and this error appeared right after running an automatic update. I ran the repair utility and it found nothing wrong. I ran chkdsk at the server level and it found nothing wrong. Now the drive is reporting that it is healthy.  I am *not* running a UPS.
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:45 AM
  •  Jeshimon wrote:

Joel Burt wrote:

My suggestion would be 'you get what you pay for'.  Cheap UPSes are generally a waste of time, IMO. 

I've also never seen a UPS (worth owning) that's cheaper to replace than putting in new batteries. 

As an example,  I run an APC SmartUPS (700VA) for my PC, and a Liebert UPStation GTX (700VA) for my WHS.   A set of batteries for either of these are about $40 at my local electronics shop.  The APC is about $500 to replace, and the Liebert is more like $800-$900 (we get stung on pricing of these locally).  Both of these devices are fantastic - particularly the Liebert which is a true online model.  I picked them both up second-hand for about what you'd pay for a 'cheap' UPS - the Liebert is probably 7 years old or more already.

Seriously - if you want a UPS, get a real one.  Buying a cheap UPS is akin to buy a $50 power supply, or using the one that 'came with the case'. Stick out tongue
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:53 AM
  •  Tenoq wrote:
     Jeshimon wrote:

Joel Burt wrote:

My suggestion would be 'you get what you pay for'.  Cheap UPSes are generally a waste of time, IMO. 

I've also never seen a UPS (worth owning) that's cheaper to replace than putting in new batteries. 

(...)

Seriously - if you want a UPS, get a real one.  Buying a cheap UPS is akin to buy a $50 power supply, or using the one that 'came with the case'.

Well, this is all very nice to learn but I still just can not understand how an UPC however cheap it might have been is triggering WHS to claim that a certain harddrive will fail...
    Any idea about this?
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:29 PM
  • My last one was an APC Smart ups 1000.  It was far from cheep.  That was the LAST one I'll ever have.  From my experience all a UPS in the home does is WASTE energy for a couple of years and then fail.  I may have gotten through a few power outages with them, but the benefits are not worth the cost to me, especially when you consider the life expectancy.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:34 PM
  •  Tenoq wrote:

The APC is about $500 to replace, and the Liebert is more like $800-$900 (we get stung on pricing of these locally).

No one locally has the batteries.

UPS refurbed with new batts:

http://www.upsforless.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=35
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 3:42 PM

• So did anybody find out yet what exactly is urging WHS to describe a drive as imminently failing?

I'm curious about that too. What is WHS actually saying is wrong when this error is reported?  There's nothing that shows up in any of the event logs, so is this an error that should be getting raised and logged by the OS but isn't in most cases?

I'd be interested in knowing if your failing UPS's are Auto Voltage Regulating too. 
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 11:36 PM
  • Where do you live?  I live in a country town in a backwater country (Australia) and I can still easily get batteries for either UPS by driving about 20 minutes to the nearest Jaycar.  As I said, they cost a pittance.  They're obviously not 'APC-approved' ones, but a 12V lead-acid battery is a 12V lead-acid battery.  It's not car or bike battery that might need so much CCA to start the thing - they just need to be an appropriate voltage and Ah rating. 

As for why a faulty UPS can cause HDDs issues - that's an easy one to answer.  Bad power can cause pretty much any hardware component in a PC to fail: but the two most likely to die are RAM and HDDs.  If a HDD is receiving intermittent or insufficient power then it's bound to have trouble storing data properly, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't permanently electrically damaged.  The reason I know all this is because I work in a computer shop in an area where power is atrocious.  Every storm half a dozen boxes come in with blown PSUs and/or HDD corruption.  Some of our customers walk away with a UPS; others come back in 6 months with the same problem and then get a UPS. Stick out tongue

Saturday, December 1, 2007 1:30 AM
  •  Tenoq wrote:
    Where do you live?  I live in a country town in a backwater country (Australia) and I can still easily get batteries for either UPS by driving about 20 minutes to the nearest Jaycar.  As I said, they cost a pittance.  They're obviously not 'APC-approved' ones, but a 12V lead-acid battery is a 12V lead-acid battery.  It's not car or bike battery that might need so much CCA to start the thing - they just need to be an appropriate voltage and Ah rating. 

I am stranded in Iowa.  There is also from factor and terminal connections.  A battery for a John Deere combine would be easy to come by.  Small form factor sealed lead acid, not so much.  There is lot of lithium and ammonia though.  I had to wait almost a week for a fan belt for my Dakota pickup, and that was from the Dodge dealer when it was still very new.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 1:43 AM
  • Maybe try accessing the WHS via remote desktop and changing the power options in the control panel so that the hard disk spins down afte 5 minutes.  That would reduce any heat issues you may be having.

Saturday, December 1, 2007 11:05 AM
  • A bunch of folks on the thread have asked 'How do I see what's going on when .... ?' 

Um, I don't know, but the 1st place I'd look to see details behind an uninformative warning message is the event log.

In case anyone is really low on the learning curve, do the following fom a PC on your home network:

Click Start -> Run and type "MSTSC"

enter the name of your WHS ("Server" by default)

username is administrator, password is your WHS password

you'll see the desktop of the WHS

Click Start -> All Programs -> Adminstrative Tools -> Event View

Poke around.  There is a separate WHS log, as well as the system logs.  If any of the guys getting odd error reports via the console learn anything from the logs, please post it here!

Thanks,

-andy

Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:58 AM
  • Andy,

don't forget the multitude of logs in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Those logs do show in the event viewer.

Jim

Sunday, January 20, 2008 4:43 AM
  • I've tried all these things on my HP MediaSmart but still get the "Sys drive is failing message"--with or without power supply, with or without setting the drives to spin down, etc. However HP will not replace the unit because they say this is a "false" message. It's not very comforting, though. If the SYS drive does go, does that mean I'll lose all the data stored on the three other drives or just the 20 gig partition for the SYS drive?
    Monday, January 21, 2008 4:48 PM
  • I have long said that this was an 'erroneous error message'.  I guess HP agrees.  I doubt you have a hardware problem, but if the drive itself was really failing you would see other failure indications.  If it really fails and you only have the one drive then all is indeed lost.  After 100+ days of 24/7 operation I have come to trust mine.  I run repair when told and go about my business. 

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:06 PM
  • Was also having same problem.  I formatted and reinstalled the software on the server and havent had any problems since

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:53 AM
  • I'm not in a position to even try a full format.  If it is happening on HP servers I'm not sure even that will make it go away forever.  I've had as long as 3 weeks without it showing up, but it still came back.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 3:37 AM
  • If it really fails and you only have the one drive then all is indeed lost.

I have four drives in the unit altogether. I just want to make sure I understand--if the SYS drive really does go bad, will the data on the other three drives get wiped out if I put in a new hard drive and reinstall WHS or will that data still be accessible?

I'm mostly thinking about the security on the folders in which that data is stored, i.e. if the SYS drive goes I assume the security is lost even if the files are there?

I'm not sure how this works -- I bought this server and the extra drives as storage space for about 1 terrabyte of stuff and currently am not feeling too comfortable storing data on this drive due to the "SYS Drive is Failing" messages. Thanks!
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:45 PM
  •  Boaster01 wrote:
    If it really fails and you only have the one drive then all is indeed lost.

I have four drives in the unit altogether. I just want to make sure I understand--if the SYS drive really does go bad, will the data on the other three drives get wiped out if I put in a new hard drive and reinstall WHS or will that data still be accessible?

I'm mostly thinking about the security on the folders in which that data is stored, i.e. if the SYS drive goes I assume the security is lost even if the files are there?

I'm not sure how this works -- I bought this server and the extra drives as storage space for about 1 terrabyte of stuff and currently am not feeling too comfortable storing data on this drive due to the "SYS Drive is Failing" messages. Thanks!

Nope.  Given that you have folder duplication on the files in duplicated folders are on 2 different physical drives.  If the drive really does fail you just replace it and do a 'repair install'.  It will take a while to balance, you will loose any customization, user accounts and PC backups, but the data will be there.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Hello all!

Reading the whole thread, I still didn't find an answer to the question asked by several contributors: What makes WHS give this (probably false) error message? Reading other threads about "sys failing" also, there are people having exchanged most parts of their systems, without getting rid of the message (for more than days or a few weeks) - still most of those failing sys drives seems to have survived for months! I've had mine for nearly half a year. It seems more and more WHS owners are resting assured the error message is indeed false. It would be fine to have this officially acknowledged by someone at MS. When the user interface presents error messages, there should be some kind of explanation in the underlying system. WHS isn't built from scratch, it's built upon Windows. What makes WHS report that all those sys drives are failing, when we can't find anything in the Windows event logs or anywhere else I can think of? Somebody should point all of us to the underlying system actually reporting the error. I doubt WHS is so hardware-aware that it makes the conclusion about the failing sys drive all by itself (if it's not only one of its internal databases that have become inconsistent, but in that case it is still a WHS bug and shouldn't tell people that they have failing hardware).

Regards, Christen

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 9:40 AM
  •  

My HP MediaSmart gives me the "Sys volume is failing" message from time to time.

From what I can gather in these forums, the cause is likely one of these two things:

#1 --> This is a FALSE message, turning our network status to yellow. This is unnacceptable. A bug, needs fixing.

#2 --> There really is a hardware failure, but it is NOT the UPS, and it is NOT the system drive.

Either way, I'm going to contact HP and demand that they either replace my HP MediaSmart / System drive (if they want to waste time and money on a wild goose chase), otherwise, HP should put pressure on Microsoft to fix the bug.

Friday, February 8, 2008 4:12 PM
  • For anyone with a minute... My WHS had a melt down and I was wondering if
    anyone has any ideas as to what I could have done different. It was a bad drive, just not

the sys vol.

For some reason yesterday WHS started telling me that the backup service
    could not start.  I would try to start it manually but all I would get was a
    window telling me that the service started and then stopped as some services
    do when there is nothing to do.  I could not do backups or restores from any
    PC in the house.  Turns out that one of the hard drives failed and had to be
    removed.  I did that, and 6 hours later WHS was still trying to remove the
    drive, but the drive was not responding.  So I was stuck with no options.  I
    rebooted and all seemed to be well, no more error messages when the server
    booted, but upon launching the console, I got the message that the backup
    service was not started and some functionality would not be available.  I
    tried a reinstall of the server only to have the same problem.  The error
    logs (which I should have saved, duh, but didn't) showed the service not
    running.  The only thing left was to try and copy most of my files in the
    personal folders and shared folders to an external drive and reinstall.  Did
    that and all is well this morning (with a drive replacement).  I thought
    that if a drive failed, WHS was not to do what it did to me, but to just
    keep on truckin' as it were.
    Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Billy The Kidd

Friday, February 8, 2008 11:40 PM
  • Yep, whenever my UPS battery dies I discard the battery at the local recycling center, and then resell the UPS on eBay.  Even with complete honesty, it's not unusual to get 50% to 60% of the original cost of the UPSfor it w/o battery.  There's one born every minute on eBay... ;-)

Oh, I also see about 18 to 24 months before battery goes belly up.  It's almost like clockwork.  I've been using variants of the 2200va Back UPS and Back UPS Pro for almost 10 years now, and they usually die right aorund 20 to 22 months of age.

- Ryan

Saturday, February 9, 2008 1:45 AM
  •  Poofy2007 wrote:

Hi Dirk,

I have had the same issue, I initially thought it was the hard drive so replaced it with a new 320G Seagate PATA Drive. I re-installed WHS and within a week experienced the same issue. I then assumed it must be the hard drive controller, so I swapped the drives around so that the system drive was on the second ATA controller. Again the problem went away to then come back. I then decided it must be the M/board (it was an old A7N8X running a Athlon 2400XP).

I went out and bought a new M/B, CPU & RAM (Core 2 Duo). Re-installed RTM version of WHS and again one week later have had the same issue. I have changed the drives around and the problem seems to re-occur. When I 'repair' the drive the issue goes away for a few days.

It is interesting to note that this issue only warrants a yellow warning and is not rated as severe. I would be keen to better understand what determines the 'SYS volume failing' error.

Cheers
    Paul.
    Sure sounds like a power supply to me.  It could be the cable though and that is cheaper to try than a power supply.
    Saturday, February 9, 2008 1:54 AM
  • I am having the same problem.
    Saturday, February 9, 2008 7:39 AM
  • I too am having this problem and I know it is not a hardware issue because I replaced every single component in the system and I am still getting error messages. If I reboot the server there seems to be a much longer time between errors than if I just run chkdsk.

This is obviously another problem with the OS. Can it possible have something to do with the corruption of files issue?

Any word on when that fix will be released?

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:37 AM
  • At the risk of banging my well-worn drum again, wouldn't it be nice if WHS actually gave accurate error messages, instead of telling you things that are completely erroneous?
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:55 AM
  • I'm with Jeshimon here - most (if not all) error messages you receive in WHS other than backup failures have been, in my experience, unwarranted, and the suggested fixes simply not targeted at the reported problem.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:58 AM
  •  catsaver wrote:
    At the risk of banging my well-worn drum again, wouldn't it be nice if WHS actually gave accurate error messages, instead of telling you things that are completely erroneous?

Yes, it would be nice.  It seems everything you try lets you think it is fixed for a while.  In 137 days I have had the drive failing message 16 times.  That means that chkdsk was run without error at least 260 times during that period WITHOUT error, not exactly an indicator of impending disaster. 

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:20 AM
  • I tried to find this bug (the "System volume is failing" message issue) on Microsoft Connect but couldn't find it. It surely must be on there, so I didn't resubmit it. If we could find the issue number we could track it that way.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 2:56 PM
  • I think we must all be making it up.  I would think by now someone with some credibility would have seen it.  I know I see it, I know other here see it, yet they still insist it is a hardware problem.  Others have changed everything in the computer only to see the problem come back.  We have 4 pages of posts on this topic and the problem affects HP Mediasmart Servers.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 12:02 AM
  • There are much more than 4 pages of posts about this issue, as there are numerous other threads dealing with it. I don't have the HP Mediasmart, but the same sys failing issue all the same. It sure isn't hardware. It's the corruption bug or another bug, and it really annoys me that nobody at Microsoft makes a statement about it.

Christen

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:06 PM
  • Christen, the WHS team is very much "heads down" working on KB946676 right now. Don't look for them to make statements about relatively minor user interface issues.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:48 PM
  •  

Ken, I really like the first part of your answer, the part about the team being "heads down" on the corruption issue. That's perfectly understandable.

But you are being too clever when saying "relatively minor". While that's technically true because the corruption bug is so significant it overshadows this one, you make it sound like this one's not a showstopper on it's own. In case you haven't noticed, people are buying new hard drives and/or changing hardware because of this possibly incorrect message.

If it turns out in the final analysis that it IS hardware problems and not related to the WHS software, then great. But if it is determined to be a bug, my guess would be that once the corruption bug is taken care of, this could become as much of a showstopper...

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 5:11 PM
  • I agree that it's more than a "minor" user interface issue. After I upgraded from RC to the evaluation version (with a brand new system drive), everything was running fine for about 3 weeks, and then I got the infamous yellow warning again. Since then I am getting the warning in regular intervals, about every 7 to 8 days. Once I repair the disk I have my peace for a week, and then I get the next warning. That's going on now for months. It is definitely not a hardware issue - I tested the drive extensively multiple times with different tools - and they never detected any problem with the drive.

The point is: it's not just an user interface issue, but it defeats the very purpose of running an OS that should give you good indications about the health of your system. If I can't rely on the warnings that WHS issues, I'll simply get used to ignore them (basically what I am doing right now), and in case there will be a *real* problem down the line, I won't have the chance to detect it.

Based on the numerous reports from other users here in the forum, I really hope that this issue will get some more attention from the developers in the future.

Regards,

Dirk

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:58 PM
  •  dflachbart wrote:

Based on the numerous reports from other users here in the forum, I really hope that this issue will get some more attention from the developers in the future.

At the very least an admission that there is a problem worth looking into.
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:43 AM
  • I agree this probably boils down to a user interface issue, but in the meantime users have been buying new harddrives and having a lot of work with replacements, reinstallation etc. Probably some are still doing so, unaware it is a bug. I was among those told by serious posts in this forum that this was hardware failure for sure. Luckily, I trusted myself more. But to avoid more frustration, work and cost - I think it is worth a statement.

Friday, March 7, 2008 10:44 AM
  •  Christen A wrote:

I agree this probably boils down to a user interface issue, but in the meantime users have been buying new harddrives and having a lot of work with replacements, reinstallation etc. Probably some are still doing so, unaware it is a bug. I was among those told by serious posts in this forum that this was hardware failure for sure. Luckily, I trusted myself more. But to avoid more frustration, work and cost - I think it is worth a statement.

Yeah, I bought into the MVPs telling me it was a hardware problem, I bought a new hard drive and put it as secondary storage, when it was failing too I was told it must be the motherboard.  I stopped listening there.  I knew the hardware was pretty solid from gaming on it.  Others have bought new motherboards, hard drives, entire computers have been replaced and the issue is still there.  If you WHS gets rebooted about once a week you'll probably never see it. 

Sunday, March 9, 2008 7:09 AM

• Well this was wishful thinking on my part... I reinstalled my WHS server a week ago (switched from the eval to the OEM version) and hoped that maybe this might end now. But this morning, exactly one week after the install, the yellow SYS volume failing warning came back. Also note that I switched drives around when I performed the new install - I am now using a SATA drive for my system partition that had been functioning as a DATA drive in my previous WHS installations - and this drive had never had any WHS warnings before.

Regards,
    Dirk

Sunday, March 9, 2008 3:47 PM
  • ok i to am having the same problem here.
    I have 3 different OEM software custom builds using different hardware and configs and am getting the error on all 3 and i cannot get any of them to go away. Actually when i try a repair it hangs for days and wont stop until i restart. I have ran spinrite and still doesn't help.
    actually on one it only has 2 drives but i get
    sys failing
    primary failing
    secondary failing.
    all of them
    replaced drives and still same thing.
    mixed use of pata and sata drives so it is not an either or

one 6 drives and i get sys failing error even after replacing sys drive.
    Got to be a software bug because i have different MB and still the same problem. lets keep this to the top so something gets solved
    Monday, March 10, 2008 3:10 PM
  •  smartmoney wrote:
    ok i to am having the same problem here.
    Actually when i try a repair it hangs for days and wont stop until i restart. I have ran spinrite and still doesn't help.

My symptoms are quite different than yours.  I can run repair and it completes in fairly short order.  Next time (there WILL be one) I will time it and post GB/sec, I track the occurances of this problem.  In 163 days of data I've had it appear 19 times on various disks, that means that chkdsk ran at least 307 time without error.  On one of the drives it happened the day after I added it to the pool, and it has only happened once since on that drive.  Virtually the only time my server gets restarted is when a software update requires it or I make a hardware change.  It usually occurs when I make massive changes to the data on the server, but the longest I've gone without seeing it is about 3 weeks.

Monday, March 10, 2008 3:55 PM
  •  

Regarding the “SYS Volume …” failing messages, we don’t want to summarily rule out that these are false messages, as people may indeed being having problems with one or more hard drives in their home servers.  However, it may not be the SYS partition (the C Drive) that in some cases may be causing the issue. To help narrow the issue down, please answer the following questions so we can understand each person’s specific environment / circumstances:

·     What is the exact text of the error message you are seeing?

·     Is this an OEM product (e.g. HP, Fujitsu Siemens, Tranquil) or a home-built home server?

·     How many hard drives, what size?  Internal?  External?

·     Do you have have UPS system hooked up to your home server?  which one?

·     Are you running any Add-Ins?  Which ones?

·     Have you loaded any software on your home server using a Remote Desktop session? 

·     How much free space do you have on your C: drive (SYS) on your home server?

·     What is the status of the hard drives in the Server Storage tab on the Windows Home Server Console?

·     Did you run the “Repair” option on any hard drives using the Windows Home Server Console?

·     Did “Repair” fix the issue?  For how long?

Assuming the “Repair” option does not fix your issue, and you keep seeing this error message come back, then please try the following:

·     Open a Remote Desktop session to your home server

·     Open a CMD prompt from the Administrative Desktop – Start – Run – CMD

·     Run the CHKDSK command for each of the hard drives on your home server and save the results into a log file:

o   Operating System partition (SYS)

§  CHKDSK C: > SYS_volume.log  

o   Primary Data partition (DATA)

§  CHKDSK D: > DATA_disk0.log

o   If you have more than 1 hard drive, then you will need to find the ‘Mount Points’ for your additional hard drives by navigating to the C:\FS directory and type ‘dir’ to see the ‘Mount Points’ for your other hard drives.  For example, you have 3 hard drives, you may see 2 sub-directories, listed as “<JUNCTION>” under the c:\FS directory (for example, you may see E and F)

§  CHKDSK C:\fs\E > DATA_disk1.log

§  CHKDSK C:\fs\F > DATA_disk2.log

§  Etc. (if you have more disks)

·      Analyze these log files and report any error messages or inconsistencies that you may see - what drive is reporting errors via CHKDSK?  (SYS, DATA, Data Disk 1, Data Disk 2, etc.)?

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 12:04 AM
  • Hi Todd,

I am excited to see some official response to this issue. Here are my answers to your specific questions:

What is the exact text of the error message you are seeing?

I get the yellow health warning icon, and when I log into the WHS console it tells me that my SYS volume is failing and needs to be repaired. I always find the same output in the qsm log file:

[3/16/2008 6:04:19 PM  e74] Executing C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /C chkdsk.exe C: >"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\chkdsk.log"
    [3/16/2008 6:07:05 PM  e74] Chkdsk done

[3/16/2008 6:07:05 PM  e74] SetObjectSelfHealth (SYS) QSM_OS_HEALTHY => QSM_OS_FAILING

Unfortunately it seems the ouput is piped via ">" and not ">>" into the chkdsk.log, so that the following runs on the other hard drives overwrite the error logs.

Is this an OEM product (e.g. HP, Fujitsu Siemens, Tranquil) or a home-built home server?

This is a home-built server (Abit P35 Pro motherboard, Intel Q6600, 2 GB RAM).

How many hard drives, what size?  Internal?  External?

3 x internal SATA (500 GB system, 500 GB data, 250 GB data) in WHS storage pool
    1 x internal IDE (350 GB), not managed by WHS
    1 x external USB (200 GB), not managed by WHS

Do you have have UPS system hooked up to your home server?  which one?

Yes, I recently (about a month ago) installed a new APC ES 500. It can be ruled out that this has anything to do with the problem, since I am experiencing this issue over half a year now, and I didn't have any UPS before

Are you running any Add-Ins?  Which ones?

I am running the following Add-Ins:

• SageTV
    • mtorrent
    • only recently: Server Storage, and Program Launcher

Have you loaded any software on your home server using a Remote Desktop session?

Yes, several:
    • SVN server
    • SyncBackSE
    • DirMon2 / Comskip (commercial detection of TV recordings)
    • various drivers (PVR-150, STB Firewire, Canon printer)
    • Windows Resource Kit

How much free space do you have on your C: drive (SYS) on your home server?

12 GB

What is the status of the hard drives in the Server Storage tab on the Windows Home Server Console?

The ones in the WHS pool are all "Healthy", except for the drive containing the SYS volume which is turning unhealthy once a week

Did you run the “Repair” option on any hard drives using the Windows Home Server Console?

Yes, once I get the yellow health warning I run "Repair" on the system drive

Did “Repair” fix the issue?  For how long?

Yes, "Repair" always fixes the issue. But it lasts only for about a week, after 7-8 days the warning comes back.

If you read through my previous posts you will see that this issue is haunting me for a long time now, with different hardware configurations. I had the problem with my old Celeron board and RC1, it continued with my new board/CPU and the Evaluation copy, and it is still persisting after I upgraded to the OEM version. I had it happening with an IDE system drive (tested error free several times with appropriate tools), and now it continues to happen on a SATA drive (when I reinstalled to OEM I thought I might try this out for a change) - the same SATA drive that I had previously running in WHS as a DATA drive for several months and which *never* failed on me before.

I appreciate that your are taking time to look into this further. Hope you guys will finally figure out whether this is indeed a false message or not. It seems a *lot* of people are experiencing the same problem.

Regards,
    Dirk

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 1:12 AM
  •  

Volume with name "SYS" is failing. Please try to run Repair to fix errors for disk ST350063 0AS SCSI disk drive

·     Is this an OEM product (e.g. HP, Fujitsu Siemens, Tranquil) or a home-built home server?

OEM, HP MediaSmart

4 hard drives, 3 500 gigs and one 750 gig

APC Back-UPS ES550 (but got this same error many times before I had a UPS)

WHIIST

·     Have you loaded any software on your home server using a Remote Desktop session? 

No

·     How much free space do you have on your C: drive (SYS) on your home server?

15.1 gigs

·     What is the status of the hard drives in the Server Storage tab on the Windows Home Server Console?

Drive that contains System partition is flagged as "Unhealthy", others are "Healthy"

·     Did you run the “Repair” option on any hard drives using the Windows Home Server Console?

Yes

Fixes it for 3-4 days, then it recurs. Sometimes it goes away on its own without repair.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 1:34 AM
  • The next time I see it I will take screen shots of the whole thing.  Nice to see someone admit it might be a problem after all this time. 

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 6:12 AM
  •  dflachbart wrote:
    Hi Todd,

Unfortunately it seems the ouput is piped via ">" and not ">>" into the chkdsk.log, so that the following runs on the other hard drives overwrite the error logs.

This is a known issue and will be fixed in Power Pack 1, such that each disk volume will have a separate CHKDSK log file.  For now, if you do see this error.  Try to follow the steps in my post for gathering CHKDSK logs before using the 'REPAIR' option in the Console.  Be sure to note the exact error in the Console and which drive(s) are 'supposedly' having issues...

thx in advance.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:26 PM
  • Thanks Todd, will do. I'll probably have the next chkdsk output by Monday...

Regards,

Dirk

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:34 PM
  • What is the exact text of the error message you are seeing?

Volume with name "SYS" is failing. Please try to run Repair to fix errors for disk ST3120814A

Home Built Server Asus P4B P4 1.5ghz  512mb Ram oem software cd bought software not test vers home server software

3 hard drives  1. 120gb  2. 200gb  3.  40gb

APC Back-UPS ES550 (but got this same error many times before I had a UPS)

WHIIST, Webfolders4WHS, Jungle Disk

Eset Nod 32 antivirus. only installed software on the server

16.0 gigs

Drive that contains System partition is flagged as "Unhealthy" (120gb hd), others are "Healthy" (200gb and 40gb)

Yes

Sometimes it just hangs on repair for days and i have to restart and sometimnes it Fixes it for 3-4 days, then it recurs. Sometimes it goes away on its own without repair.

·     Run CHKDSK on Failing Disk

done that and it shows no errors in the log file on the failing drive.

I have replaced the drive and same error. I have shuffeled the drives around in different order and same error on sys drive only no matter which one is in place currently.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:53 PM
  • log file for sys drive for above posting. SYS drive is currently showing failing msg when this was ran.

The type of the file system is NTFS.
    The volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk
    might report errors when no corruption is present.
    Volume label is SYS.

WARNING!  F parameter not specified.
    Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
     0 percent complete. (0 of 17840 file records processed)       
     1 percent complete. (1784 of 17840 file records processed)       
     2 percent complete. (3568 of 17840 file records processed)       
     3 percent complete. (5352 of 17840 file records processed)       
     4 percent complete. (7136 of 17840 file records processed)       
     5 percent complete. (8920 of 17840 file records processed)       
     6 percent complete. (10704 of 17840 file records processed)       
     7 percent complete. (12488 of 17840 file records processed)       
     8 percent complete. (14272 of 17840 file records processed)       
     9 percent complete. (16056 of 17840 file records processed)       
    17840 file records processed.                                 

File verification completed.
    10 percent complete. (1 of 17 large file records processed) 
    17 large file records processed.                           

0 bad file records processed.                             

0 EA records processed.                                   

5 reparse records processed.                              

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
    10 percent complete. (1 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    10 percent complete. (507 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    11 percent complete. (764 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    11 percent complete. (1271 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    12 percent complete. (1526 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    12 percent complete. (2027 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    13 percent complete. (2282 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    13 percent complete. (2785 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    14 percent complete. (3044 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    14 percent complete. (3549 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    15 percent complete. (3807 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    15 percent complete. (4314 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    16 percent complete. (4571 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    16 percent complete. (5071 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    17 percent complete. (5332 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    17 percent complete. (5837 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    18 percent complete. (6098 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    18 percent complete. (6604 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    19 percent complete. (6857 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    19 percent complete. (7362 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    20 percent complete. (7614 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    20 percent complete. (8115 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    21 percent complete. (8376 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    21 percent complete. (8883 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    22 percent complete. (9139 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    22 percent complete. (9640 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    23 percent complete. (9900 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    23 percent complete. (10404 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    24 percent complete. (10666 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    24 percent complete. (11171 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    25 percent complete. (11425 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    25 percent complete. (11932 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    26 percent complete. (12191 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    26 percent complete. (12698 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    27 percent complete. (12952 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    27 percent complete. (13455 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    28 percent complete. (13709 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    28 percent complete. (14211 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    29 percent complete. (14476 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    29 percent complete. (14983 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    30 percent complete. (15233 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    30 percent complete. (15735 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    31 percent complete. (15995 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    31 percent complete. (16497 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    32 percent complete. (16758 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    32 percent complete. (17263 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    33 percent complete. (17525 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    33 percent complete. (18031 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    34 percent complete. (18287 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    34 percent complete. (18787 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    35 percent complete. (19043 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    35 percent complete. (19543 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    36 percent complete. (19805 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    36 percent complete. (20305 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    37 percent complete. (20566 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    37 percent complete. (21066 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    38 percent complete. (21328 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    38 percent complete. (21828 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    39 percent complete. (22090 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    39 percent complete. (22590 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    40 percent complete. (22852 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    40 percent complete. (23352 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    41 percent complete. (23614 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    41 percent complete. (24114 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    42 percent complete. (24376 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    42 percent complete. (24876 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    43 percent complete. (25138 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    43 percent complete. (25638 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    44 percent complete. (25900 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    44 percent complete. (26400 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    45 percent complete. (26662 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    45 percent complete. (27162 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    46 percent complete. (27424 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    46 percent complete. (27924 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    47 percent complete. (28186 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    47 percent complete. (28686 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    48 percent complete. (28947 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    48 percent complete. (29447 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    49 percent complete. (29709 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    49 percent complete. (30209 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    50 percent complete. (30471 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    50 percent complete. (30971 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    51 percent complete. (31233 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    51 percent complete. (31733 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    52 percent complete. (31995 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    52 percent complete. (32495 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    53 percent complete. (32757 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    53 percent complete. (33257 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    54 percent complete. (33519 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    54 percent complete. (34019 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    55 percent complete. (34281 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    55 percent complete. (34781 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    56 percent complete. (35043 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    56 percent complete. (35543 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    57 percent complete. (35805 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    57 percent complete. (36305 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    58 percent complete. (36566 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    58 percent complete. (37066 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    59 percent complete. (37328 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    59 percent complete. (37828 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    60 percent complete. (38091 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    60 percent complete. (38591 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    61 percent complete. (38852 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    61 percent complete. (39352 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    62 percent complete. (39614 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    62 percent complete. (40114 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    63 percent complete. (40376 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    63 percent complete. (40876 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    64 percent complete. (41138 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    64 percent complete. (41638 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    65 percent complete. (41900 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    65 percent complete. (42400 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    66 percent complete. (42662 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    66 percent complete. (43162 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    67 percent complete. (43424 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    67 percent complete. (43924 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    68 percent complete. (44186 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    68 percent complete. (44686 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    69 percent complete. (44947 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    69 percent complete. (45447 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    70 percent complete. (45709 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    70 percent complete. (46209 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    71 percent complete. (46471 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    71 percent complete. (46971 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    72 percent complete. (47233 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    72 percent complete. (47733 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    73 percent complete. (47995 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    73 percent complete. (48495 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    74 percent complete. (48757 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    74 percent complete. (49257 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    75 percent complete. (49519 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    75 percent complete. (50019 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    76 percent complete. (50281 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    76 percent complete. (50781 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    77 percent complete. (51043 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    77 percent complete. (51543 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    78 percent complete. (51805 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    78 percent complete. (52305 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    79 percent complete. (52566 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    79 percent complete. (53066 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    80 percent complete. (53328 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    80 percent complete. (53828 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    81 percent complete. (54090 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    81 percent complete. (54590 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    82 percent complete. (54852 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    82 percent complete. (55352 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    83 percent complete. (55614 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    83 percent complete. (56114 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    84 percent complete. (56376 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    84 percent complete. (56876 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    85 percent complete. (57138 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    85 percent complete. (57638 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    86 percent complete. (57900 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    86 percent complete. (58400 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    87 percent complete. (58662 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    87 percent complete. (59162 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    88 percent complete. (59424 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    88 percent complete. (59924 of 60140 index entries processed)      
    60140 index entries processed.                                

Index verification completed.
    5 unindexed files processed.                              

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
    89 percent complete. (177 of 17840 descriptors processed)        
    90 percent complete. (3224 of 17840 descriptors processed)        
    91 percent complete. (6272 of 17840 descriptors processed)        
    92 percent complete. (9319 of 17840 descriptors processed)        
    93 percent complete. (12367 of 17840 descriptors processed)        
    94 percent complete. (15415 of 17840 descriptors processed)        
    17840 security descriptors processed.                         

Security descriptor verification completed.
    2145 data files processed.                                   

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    98 percent complete. (0 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (1048576 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (2097152 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (3145728 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (4194304 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (5242880 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (6291456 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (7340032 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (8388608 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (9437184 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (10485760 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (11534336 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (12582912 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (13631488 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (14680064 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (15728640 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (15773696 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (16822272 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (17870848 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (18919424 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (19968000 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (21016576 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (22065152 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (23113728 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (24162304 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (25210880 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (26259456 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (27308032 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (28356608 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (29405184 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (30453760 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (31502336 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (32550912 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (33599488 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    100 percent complete. (33935360 of 33939264 USN bytes processed)          
    33939264 USN bytes processed.                                    

Usn Journal verification completed.

20972825 KB total disk space.
       4032888 KB in 15425 files.
          4468 KB in 2146 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        118421 KB in use by the system.
         65536 KB occupied by the log file.
      16817048 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
       5243206 total allocation units on disk.
       4204262 allocation units available on disk.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:56 PM
  • Screenshots

Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:20 PM
  • Todd,

I just had the same problem this morning and documented it (along with detailed screen shots) on my blog at: http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2008/03/volume-with-name-sys-is-failing.html

In any case, here are the answers to your form questionnaire:

Volume with name SYS is failing. Please try to run Repair to fix errors for disk XXXX.

OEM. It is from an HP EX470

3 x 500 GB internal (including the SYS drive), 2 x 500 GB external (i.e. in an eSATA port multiplier external enclosure) and 1 x USB (used for System Backups with Power Pack 1)

It is plugged into an APC Back-UPS Pro 1100, although I don't have the data cable attached

Jungle Disk for WHS 1.02.2, Window Home Server Toolkit 6.0.1639.0

More than likely, but not in the past few days.

10.9 GB

All Storage Hard Drives now read "Healthy", 2 Non Storage Drives read "Not Added" and the Server Backup Hard Drive reads "100% Free"

Yes, on the SYS drive as suggested in the error message above

Yes, not sure for how long. I'm writing this only 10 minutes after it was corrected.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:26 PM
  • LiveGadgets

" **** Update ****
    There is some speculation on the Windows Home Server MSDN forum that this is caused by a faulty UPS. I'll keep you informed as things progress."

this is misinformation posted on your blog. If you follow this thread there are several people including me that have the errors without the ups. I currently have it installed as a safe measure but i have had it happen without it and even with a different ups. I have 3 different systems running (office, home and friends) and all exibit the same failure. only thing in common is they are custom builds but different configs. dont spread rumor as this is not the problem.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 8:13 PM
  • It CANNOT be ups because people without one see it.

Friday, March 21, 2008 3:38 PM
  • Thanks guys for the updated info.  One new small request, BEFORE you hit the Repair button in the Console, try to collect the CHKDSK logs for all of your hard drives.

·     Open a Remote Desktop session to your home server

·     Open a CMD prompt from the Administrative Desktop – Start – Run – CMD

·     Run the CHKDSK command for each of the hard drives on your home server and save the results into a log file:

o   Operating System partition (SYS)

§  CHKDSK C: > SYS_volume.log  

o   Primary Data partition (DATA)

§  CHKDSK D: > DATA_disk0.log

o   If you have more than 1 hard drive, then you will need to find the ‘Mount Points’ for your additional hard drives by navigating to the C:\FS directory and type ‘dir’ to see the ‘Mount Points’ for your other hard drives.  For example, you have 3 hard drives, you may see 2 sub-directories, listed as “<JUNCTION>” under the c:\FS directory (for example, you may see E and F)

§  CHKDSK C:\fs\E > DATA_disk1.log

§  CHKDSK C:\fs\F > DATA_disk2.log

§  Etc. (if you have more disks)

·      Analyze these log files and report any error messages or inconsistencies that you may see - what drive is reporting errors via CHKDSK?  (SYS, DATA, Data Disk 1, Data Disk 2, etc.)?

Friday, March 21, 2008 8:18 PM
  • ·     What is the exact text of the error message you are seeing?

- I get the yellow health warning icon, and when I log into the WHS console it tells me that my SYS volume is failing and needs to be repaired

·     Is this an OEM product (e.g. HP, Fujitsu Siemens, Tranquil) or a home-built home server?

- It is homebuild: IBM T40 - Pentium M 1,50 GhZ - 1,50 GB RAM -

·     How many hard drives, what size?  Internal?  External?

- 100 GB internal HardDisk - 2x 500 GB external USB WesternDigital harddisks

·     Do you have have UPS system hooked up to your home server?  which one?

- No

·     Are you running any Add-Ins?  Which ones?

- WIndows Home Server Disk Management Add in

·     Have you loaded any software on your home server using a Remote Desktop session?

Yes: eMule, Napster, mTorrent,

·     How much free space do you have on your C: drive (SYS) on your home server?

13,8 GB

·     What is the status of the hard drives in the Server Storage tab on the Windows Home Server Console?

internal harddisk is red, external harddisks are green

·     Did you run the “Repair” option on any hard drives using the Windows Home Server Console?

Yes

·     Did “Repair” fix the issue?  For how long?

Yes, it always repairs the issue for about 6 or 7 days

I receive the following (german) error message for SYS_volume, when I run chkdsk as you suggest:

" CHKDSK hat freien Speicher gefunden, der in der Volumebitmap als
    zugeordnet gekennzeichnet ist.
    Windows hat Probleme im Dateisystem festgestellt.
    Fuehren Sie CHKDSK mit der Option /F (Fehlerbehebung) aus, um die Probleme zu
    beheben."

Translation:
    CHKDKS has found free space, which has been marked in the volumebitmap as assigned.
    Windows found problems in the filesystem.
    Execute CHKDSK with option /F to solve the problems.
    Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:27 AM
  • Arrrgghhh....this just happened to me this morning...Of course here I am cooking Easter supper for my wife's family so I don't have a ton of time to play with this.

Some background.  Last night I set up another media center PC with Vista and had it updating the shared media from the home server over the network.  The music is in a share on a drive that is outside of the storage pool. 95% of my data with the exception of backups and some stuff needed remotely is outside of the storage pool.

I have 4 computers in my office including the Home server that run off a switch that is plugged into the wall which goes back to the wiring closet patch panel and the router etc.

The switch hung up last night and I had to unplug and replug in the switch.  The mediacenter PC was updating the files when I went to bed so I did not back it up.  This morning I checked before starting my samosa's and I had a red error saying that the mediacenter PC did not have an antivirus on it.  Fair enough.  I click on it to back it up and went upstairs to the  kitchen.  When I came back I checked the console of WHS and the back was proceeeding but there was a Sys Drive Failing message.  GREAT!

So I let the back up finish and check out his message and saw that many people had it fix itself by rebooting the WHS.  So I did that and check on it 1/2 hour latter.  The drive message is gone.  Yeah..

But wait so are all my backups.  They still show in the console but if you try to access them you get an error.

The server space is showing too much space available for the backups to be there.  Looks like only the last backup for the  MediaCenter PC I just set up is there.

- I get the yellow health warning icon, and when I log into the WHS console it tells me that my SYS volume is failing and needs to be repaired

·     Is this an OEM product (e.g. HP, Fujitsu Siemens, Tranquil) or a home-built home server?

- It is homebuild: ASUS P5S00 MB, P4 550J 3.0 CPU, 1 gig blitz memeory DDR

- 120 WD1200JB IDe HardDisk  - 2x 500 GB WD5000AAKS Sata Drives

- Yes APC 500

- Tool Kit, Webguide

·     Have you loaded any software on your home server using a Remote Desktop session?

Yes: Media Portal

·     How much free space do you have on your C: drive (SYS) on your home server?

13,8 GB

·     What is the status of the hard drives in the Server Storage tab on the Windows Home Server Console?

internal harddisk was red, external harddisks are green, After reboot all are green.

·     Did you run the “Repair” option on any hard drives using the Windows Home Server Console?

No

So now when I try and access the backups they error out and then disappear from the console

So...what to do? 

Do I try to reinstall bearing in mind that the new MediaCenter4 PC looks like it has a backup.  This makes me think that I will not get all the rest back.

What to do?????  Any other options other than a reinstall??  I really like to recover the backups if possbile.

Oh well back to cooking supper while I ponder this...

Sunday, March 23, 2008 5:05 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

Thanks guys for the updated info.  One new small request, BEFORE you hit the Repair button in the Console, try to collect the CHKDSK logs for all of your hard drives.

Hi Todd,

as promised, exactly 8 days after the last health warning, my WHS icon turned yellow again. I performed chkdsk on all four disks, and only the system drive (partition C) showed an error in the log. The exact message in the WHS console was:

Volume with name SYS is failing. Please try to run repair to fix errors for Disk Samsung HD501LJ

And here's the chkdsk log:

Volume label is SYS.

0 percent complete. (0 of 27872 file records processed)       
     1 percent complete. (2788 of 27872 file records processed)       
     2 percent complete. (5575 of 27872 file records processed)       
     3 percent complete. (8362 of 27872 file records processed)       
     4 percent complete. (11149 of 27872 file records processed)       
     5 percent complete. (13936 of 27872 file records processed)       
     6 percent complete. (16724 of 27872 file records processed)       
     7 percent complete. (19511 of 27872 file records processed)       
     8 percent complete. (22298 of 27872 file records processed)       
     9 percent complete. (25085 of 27872 file records processed)       
    27872 file records processed.                                 
    10 percent complete. (1 of 28 large file records processed) 
    28 large file records processed.                           
    0 EA records processed.                                   
    4 reparse records processed.                              
    10 percent complete. (1 of 97914 index entries processed)      
    10 percent complete. (501 of 97914 index entries processed)      
    10 percent complete. (1010 of 97914 index entries processed)      
    11 percent complete. (1221 of 97914 index entries processed)      
    11 percent complete. (1723 of 97914 index entries processed)      
    11 percent complete. (2233 of 97914 index entries processed)      
    12 percent complete. (2441 of 97914 index entries processed)

[...]    

88 percent complete. (95387 of 97914 index entries processed)      
    88 percent complete. (95887 of 97914 index entries processed)      
    88 percent complete. (96387 of 97914 index entries processed)      
    89 percent complete. (96610 of 97914 index entries processed)      
    89 percent complete. (97110 of 97914 index entries processed)      
    89 percent complete. (97610 of 97914 index entries processed)      
    90 percent complete. (97833 of 97914 index entries processed)      
    97914 index entries processed.                                
    91 percent complete. (4564 of 27872 descriptors processed)        
    92 percent complete. (9456 of 27872 descriptors processed)        
    93 percent complete. (14348 of 27872 descriptors processed)        
    94 percent complete. (19240 of 27872 descriptors processed)        
    95 percent complete. (24132 of 27872 descriptors processed)        
    27872 security descriptors processed.                         
    2403 data files processed.                                   
    98 percent complete. (0 of 37043760 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (1048576 of 37043760 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (2097152 of 37043760 USN bytes processed)          

[...]

99 percent complete. (29847552 of 37043760 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (30896128 of 37043760 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (31944704 of 37043760 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (32993280 of 37043760 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (34041856 of 37043760 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (35090432 of 37043760 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (36139008 of 37043760 USN bytes processed)          
    37043760 USN bytes processed.                                    
    Windows found problems with the file system.
    Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

8228876 KB in 25308 files.
          7908 KB in 2404 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        131521 KB in use by the system.
      12604520 KB available on disk.

3151130 allocation units available on disk.

Regards,
    Dirk

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 11:57 PM
  • ·     What is the exact text of the error message you are seeing?

Same as the others in this thread.

Home-built based on Proliant ML1xx.

All drives (3) are internal SATA, the sys drive is 160G, the others 320G and 400G.

Yes - Powerware 5115, but didn't have in the beginning.

None

None

Not sure (16G according to the log below)

Healthy, except when the sys drive turns unhealthy.

Yes, every time I'm told to (about once a week).

Yes, seemingly (if I'm to trust the colour of the home server icon). I haven't logged the dates, but it seems the exact same error occurs with quite regular intervals of a week or two.

Junctions were named 4 and N. Here are my logs (all of them, but truncated):

Volume label is SYS.

0 percent complete. (0 of 17088 file records processed)       
     1 percent complete. (1709 of 17088 file records processed)        
    .. 8 percent complete. (13671 of 17088 file records processed)       
     9 percent complete. (15380 of 17088 file records processed)       
    17088 file records processed.                                 

10 percent complete. (1 of 10 large file records processed) 
    10 large file records processed.                           

0 EA records processed.                                   

3 reparse records processed.                              

10 percent complete. (1 of 57475 index entries processed)      
    10 percent complete. (505 of 57475 index entries processed)      
    ..75 percent complete. (56610 of 57475 index entries processed)      
    76 percent complete. (56973 of 57475 index entries processed)      
    57475 index entries processed.                                

77 percent complete. (1438 of 17088 descriptors processed)        
    78 percent complete. (4891 of 17088 descriptors processed)        
    79 percent complete. (8344 of 17088 descriptors processed)        
    80 percent complete. (11797 of 17088 descriptors processed)        
    81 percent complete. (15250 of 17088 descriptors processed)        
    17088 security descriptors processed.                         

1743 data files processed.                                   

97 percent complete. (0 of 37162512 USN bytes processed)          
    97 percent complete. (1048576 of 37162512 USN bytes processed)          
    ..99 percent complete. (36544512 of 37162512 USN bytes processed)          
    100 percent complete. (37158912 of 37162512 USN bytes processed)          
    37162512 USN bytes processed.                                    

4006312 KB in 15167 files.
          4472 KB in 1744 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        120741 KB in use by the system.
      16841300 KB available on disk.

4210325 allocation units available on disk.

Volume label is DATA.

0 percent complete. (0 of 24000 file records processed)       
     1 percent complete. (2400 of 24000 file records processed)        
    .. 8 percent complete. (19200 of 24000 file records processed)       
     9 percent complete. (21600 of 24000 file records processed)       
    24000 file records processed.                                 

10 percent complete. (1 of 2 large file records processed) 
    2 large file records processed.                           

0 EA records processed.                                   

11 percent complete. (3399 of 10707 reparse records processed)    
    12 percent complete. (6800 of 10707 reparse records processed)    
    13 percent complete. (10201 of 10707 reparse records processed)    
    10707 reparse records processed.                              

13 percent complete. (1 of 65735 index entries processed)      
    13 percent complete. (506 of 65735 index entries processed)      
    ..89 percent complete. (64987 of 65735 index entries processed)      
    90 percent complete. (65337 of 65735 index entries processed)      
    65735 index entries processed.                                

91 percent complete. (1804 of 24000 descriptors processed)        
    92 percent complete. (5205 of 24000 descriptors processed)        
    93 percent complete. (8606 of 24000 descriptors processed)        
    94 percent complete. (12006 of 24000 descriptors processed)        
    95 percent complete. (15407 of 24000 descriptors processed)        
    96 percent complete. (18808 of 24000 descriptors processed)        
    97 percent complete. (22208 of 24000 descriptors processed)        
    24000 security descriptors processed.                         

672 data files processed.                                   

98 percent complete. (0 of 34960464 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (1048576 of 34960464 USN bytes processed)          
    ..99 percent complete. (34136064 of 34960464 USN bytes processed)          
    100 percent complete. (34959360 of 34960464 USN bytes processed)          
    34960464 USN bytes processed.                                    

135307462 KB total disk space.
       1675316 KB in 10763 files.
          4416 KB in 673 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        128414 KB in use by the system.
     133499316 KB available on disk.

33826865 total allocation units on disk.
      33374829 allocation units available on disk.

Volume label is DATA.

0 percent complete. (0 of 13808 file records processed)       
     1 percent complete. (1381 of 13808 file records processed)        
    .. 8 percent complete. (11047 of 13808 file records processed)       
     9 percent complete. (12428 of 13808 file records processed)       
    13808 file records processed.                                 

10 percent complete. (1 of 1019 large file records processed) 
    1019 large file records processed.                           

0 EA records processed.                                   

0 reparse records processed.                              

11 percent complete. (289 of 44046 index entries processed)      
    11 percent complete. (803 of 44046 index entries processed)      
    ..92 percent complete. (43898 of 44046 index entries processed)      
    93 percent complete. (43931 of 44046 index entries processed)      
    44046 index entries processed.                                

94 percent complete. (1663 of 13808 descriptors processed)        
    95 percent complete. (3792 of 13808 descriptors processed)        
    96 percent complete. (5922 of 13808 descriptors processed)        
    97 percent complete. (8051 of 13808 descriptors processed)        
    98 percent complete. (10181 of 13808 descriptors processed)        
    99 percent complete. (12310 of 13808 descriptors processed)        
    13808 security descriptors processed.                         

631 data files processed.                                   

312560608 KB total disk space.
     252543004 KB in 10767 files.
          3512 KB in 633 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
         89424 KB in use by the system.
      59924668 KB available on disk.

78140152 total allocation units on disk.
      14981167 allocation units available on disk.

Volume label is DATA.

0 percent complete. (0 of 11264 file records processed)       
     1 percent complete. (1127 of 11264 file records processed)        
    .. 8 percent complete. (9012 of 11264 file records processed)       
     9 percent complete. (10138 of 11264 file records processed)       
    11264 file records processed.                                 

0 large file records processed.                           

0 EA records processed.                                   

11 percent complete. (463 of 38287 index entries processed)      
    12 percent complete. (921 of 38287 index entries processed)      
    ..92 percent complete. (37572 of 38287 index entries processed)      
    93 percent complete. (38030 of 38287 index entries processed)      
    38287 index entries processed.                                

94 percent complete. (801 of 11264 descriptors processed)        
    95 percent complete. (2634 of 11264 descriptors processed)        
    96 percent complete. (4466 of 11264 descriptors processed)        
    97 percent complete. (6299 of 11264 descriptors processed)        
    98 percent complete. (8132 of 11264 descriptors processed)        
    99 percent complete. (9965 of 11264 descriptors processed)        
    11264 security descriptors processed.                         

533 data files processed.                                   

390700768 KB total disk space.
      13004600 KB in 10657 files.
          3112 KB in 535 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
         89140 KB in use by the system.
     377603916 KB available on disk.

97675192 total allocation units on disk.
      94400979 allocation units available on disk.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 10:39 AM
  •  Jeshimon wrote:
    The next time I see it I will take screen shots of the whole thing.  Nice to see someone admit it might be a problem after all this time. 

One of the volumes in the data store was reported as failing.  This drive has been reported as failing once before.  It was installed new on 03/06/2008.  The chkdsk of D: shows:

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>d:

D:\>chkdsk
    Volume label is DATA.

11344 file records processed.
    38 large file records processed.
    0 EA records processed.
    10495 reparse records processed.
    45325 index entries processed.
    11344 security descriptors processed.
    575 data files processed.
    36495136 USN bytes processed.

291587782 KB total disk space.
      15575708 KB in 10691 files.
          6528 KB in 576 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        122598 KB in use by the system.
     275882948 KB available on disk.

72896945 total allocation units on disk.
      68970737 allocation units available on disk.

D:\>

on 3/26/2008 I had run WHSCleanup, it came up with a single error, the doc file for WHSCleanup which I had open in word on another computer.

It is unclear to me at this point in time how things are really working.  I am unclear on a couple of things.  I have read and understand the theory, but realistic observations lead me to question some things...

In observing Duplication info while copying large video files to my WHS it is clear that they are landing on a drive other than DATA, which happens to be the largest available drive which also happens to have the least free space.  The files get migrated off, the volume goes from 91% full and red as indicated by disk management add in down to about 84% and yellow.

When I do a directory /s of D: I get:

Total Files Listed:
                9622 File(s) 596,115,715,083 bytes
                1671 Dir(s)  282,785,558,528 bytes free

What should be my D: DATA drive is what is left from a 298 GB drive after 20 GB system partition is taken from it or 278 GB clearly we don't fully the mechanism and it is not fully documented. 

Sunday, March 30, 2008 7:24 PM
  • Dear T. Headrick

We felt hope when you entered this discussion, as you seemed honest and admitted this might be a bug, which should be dealt with. You asked for more details, and several WHS operators have answered. Could you please take the time to look at this matter? The WHS still indicates the SYS volume is failing about once a week.

Regards,

Christen

Monday, April 7, 2008 5:03 AM
  •  Christen A wrote:

Dear T. Headrick

We felt hope when you entered this discussion, as you seemed honest and admitted this might be a bug, which should be dealt with. You asked for more details, and several WHS operators have answered. Could you please take the time to look at this matter? The WHS still indicates the SYS volume is failing about once a week.

Regards,

Christen

Hi Christen,

I'm sure they aren't simply ignoring the problem, it's probably just that with the corruption bug situation our issue naturally doesn't have the highest priority. My SYS volume also keeps failing once a week, so I guess I simply have to remain patient.

Regards,

Dirk

Monday, April 7, 2008 12:17 PM
  • OK, OK, but I think it is worth looking into. First, it might be connected to the corruption issue. Files becoming corrupt and file system errors (or strange warnings of such) are more than likely related. It's anyway a serious issue, making people exchange hardware and spending hours on testing - so there should be a warning about this a place everybody would notice it. Furthermore, both issues make me wonder how WHS passed the beta phase. The corruption issue must be caused by bad design (it wouldn't take so long to fix it unless there is need for some serious rewriting of the whole thing). To this date, WHS has cost me too many hours of work, and with these errors it's not really to any use yet. Microsoft should give away some serious extras to fix this first impression. WHS obviously isn't their flagship product, but it could have given people a far better impression (I'll stick to Novell at work and buy as few Windows servers as at all possible). I wrote in my first post that I missed a way to backup the server itself, but was told by several "besserwissers" that there was really no reason for doing that. Then I was told that I certainly had a HDD problem when I reported the sys failing message. Turns out I was right both times, there are definitely reasons for backing up WHS (like people losing files due to the corruption issue), and the sys failing message is false (or at least not hardware related). So what can I really trust WHS to do? To this date, nothing.

I just hoped that the fact that one of the moderators asked us detailed questions, would mean that they would start troubleshooting this.

Christen

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:21 AM
  • We aren't ignoring the problem, we are treating this issue with the appropriate priority.  And this is NOT connected to the KB946676 bug.  Answers do not come overnight or after a few days when I have to go work with the PMs and Developers, go to meetings to discuss the issue, and then give them time to analyse and try to figure out a solution.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 1:33 PM
  • It's great the problem isn't ignored any longer, I didn't mean that. But it was ignored when I first posted, and searching the forums, you'll find a lot of people not getting the attention they deserved (when exchanging close to all components in their computers). The first thing to do would be to rewrite the error message, perhaps a short one as it is today and a button labeled "details". Hitting the details button should give the user some hint about what made the message appear (i.e. bad sectors found, file system inconsistency, SMART error from the disk firmware). Then it will be important to fix this false positive, OR if this is really something with the file system, fix what causes that error. I'm pretty sure (99%+) my problem is not hardware related, but I don't know whether it is a false positive or a WHS file system problem/bug (a real problem, but not one that can be solved by the user).

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 7:41 AM
  • You weren't ignored, the vast majority of helpers on here don't work for Microsoft and do it in their spare time. Also, it is a busy forum and some posts get pushed down the line quite quickly.

Even though the M/s employees don't regularly post on here in relation to problems, they do read and hear about them all. So, just because they don't leap in and answer every post in detail, doesn't mean something is being done about it.

Colin

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 8:35 AM
  • Maybe I used a wrong term (I'm not English-speaking, as some may have figured out), but if you read all posts/threads about the issues I took part in (sys failing and backup of WHS itself), you should be able to see that facts true to me and several others were ignored or not dealt with and the reasons/excuses given was incorrect. I don't remember who said what, and didn't expect all writers to be employed at Microsoft, but among those being wrong were names with hundreds of posts. Whether positioned to do so or not, they spoke as if they knew - but obviously didn't. So my conclusion is the same, I need a backup of WHS itself, preferably offsite (hosted service on the internet), and the sys failing message isn't hardware related (false positive or bug). With regard to the sys failing message, my honest opinion is that such kind of problems should be listed somewhere people will look, so that more people will be aware of it and not use time and money to find problems (exchange hardware) that are impossible to find by the end user. This must rely on MS publishing it on their website, WHS pages. Maybe MS might implement a way of pushing messages like this to WHS operators? If the WHS icon went orange or yellow, the hint might read "you have important messages from the WHS team, please click to read". As it is now, there are users not even knowing about the corruption issue. People out there are loosing pictures and such - that is important!

Christen

Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:54 AM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

Good that you are looking into this problem that we have. It reports that I have problem with the files on the HD but It is really not the hard drive itself, I still receive the same message after changing the HD two times (to new ones). So something is corrupting the files on the disk.

/ Mats

Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:19 PM
  • After  6 months of mostly error free usage, I experienced this error message for the first time.  Here's the twist for my machine.  Over the last 6 months, I've had 3 different situations where the server refused to accept my administrator password.  The only way to resolve the issue was to hard power down the server and power it back up.  Today, not only did I get the SYS volume error, but the server refused to take my password.

After I hard rebooted the server, it reported the hard disk as being healthy.  Here are my responses to the questions in the thread:

SYS Volume on Hard Drive ST332062A is failing.  I never could get into the Console to verify the error.

Is this an OEM product (e.g. HP, Fujitsu Siemens, Tranquil) or a home-built home server?

Homebuilt.  P4 2.4Ghz with 1GB RAM.

4 Total:  SYS is 300GB Internal on IDE.  Additionals:  80GB on IDE, 300GB External on IEEE1394, 500GB External on eSATA (eSATA and IEEE1394 are add-on PCI cards)

Yes.  Tripplite 1200VA with full line-conditioning.

Yes -- Server Event Monitor, Disk Management Add-in, Duplication Info Add-In, Photosync Beta2, WHS Toolkit

No

16GB Free

After the hard reboot (see above), all report healthy

NA.  Repair is not available since all report healthy.  I manually ran chkdsk on all 4 disks and it came up clean on all 4.

In reviewing the system logs, there was one set of error messages that may have generated the warning.  Here they are below:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error DeviceIoControl(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy521 - 00000180,0x00090020,00B05070,0,00B06078,4096,[0]).  hr = 0x80070005.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error DeviceIoControl(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy522 - 0000016C,0x00090020,00B05070,0,00B06078,4096,[0]).  hr = 0x80070005.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error DeviceIoControl(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy524 - 0000016C,0x00090020,00B05070,0,00B06078,4096,[0]).  hr = 0x80070005

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error DeviceIoControl(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy525 - 00000160,0x00090020,00B05070,0,00B06078,4096,[0]).  hr = 0x80070005.

This occurred interleaved with the regularly scheduled chkdsk that ran at Midnight last night..

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 12:41 AM
  • I can consistently reproduce this error. If I disconnect my router, within 3-4 minutes the "SYS Drive failing" message appears--each time.
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 12:14 AM
  • I didn't get this error for a few weeks now, but it has finally come back twice this week. Here's my answers to the survey:

·     What is the exact text of the error message you are seeing?

- Yellow health icon says "Windows Home Server health at risk."

- In the "Home Network Health" dialog box in the Console, it says "Storage Status - Volume with name Primary Volume is failing. Please try to run Repair to fix errors for disk ST350063 0AS SCSI Disk Device."

- HP MediaSmart EX470

- 3 x 500GB + 1 x 1000GB, all internal SATA II

- The home server is plugged into a UPS, but no status communications cables (USB/Serial) are attached.

- Keepvault backups

- No

- 14.3 GB on the C: "SYS" partition, 366 GB in the D: "DATA" partition

- The Primary Volume is red (Unhealthy), the rest are green (Healthy)

- Yes, it works every time (done this about 8-10 times in past 4 months)

- Yes, it always repairs the issue for 1 to 30 days

...I also ran CHKDSK and got these results:

C:\>chkdsk
    Volume label is SYS.

29184 file records processed.
    32 large file records processed.
    0 EA records processed.
    5 reparse records processed.
    98828 index entries processed.
    29184 security descriptors processed.
    2322 data files processed.
    35887680 USN bytes processed.

5825152 KB in 26740 files.
          7808 KB in 2323 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        132165 KB in use by the system.
      15007700 KB available on disk.

3751925 allocation units available on disk.

Odi

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:29 AM
  • bump this up. I have heard nothing about a possible fix or something for this issue. anyone out there?
    we have given the M$ people data and all i hear is crickets. how bout an update. you have time to update your blog so hows bout a shout out.
    i am tired of seeing these bugs and not getting anything done about it.
    (sorry just ranting). Sad
     i know is not a ups thing cause we are in storm season and i have mine NOT currently plugged into a UPS and i'm tired of the hard drop-outs with power flickers and am going back to the UPS setup.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:45 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

We aren't ignoring the problem, we are treating this issue with the appropriate priority.  And this is NOT connected to the KB946676 bug.  Answers do not come overnight or after a few days when I have to go work with the PMs and Developers, go to meetings to discuss the issue, and then give them time to analyse and try to figure out a solution.

Bump back to the answer I gave over a month ago ... The forthcoming update is "Power Pack 1"

It helps to read the answered posts in the thread.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:53 PM
  •  

I just experienced the SYS volume failing message when returning from 5 days away from home. I have 3 computers beeing backed up, and the setup during my away-days were:

- one desktop running (XP)

- one desktop turned off (Vista)

- one laptop away (Vista)

The error indications were:

- WHS icon: yellow warning and a message indicating that my SYS volume was failing

- the disk activity indicator on the WHS was "very busy" - indicating constant high disk activity

- the WHS icon on the XP desktop indicated that a backup still was in progress (8 o'clock in the evening), even though the nightly backup was finished in 2 minutes and 8 sec at 01:00). When inspecting the backup-list, no backups were missing and no backup error indications were shown.

Answers to your form questionnaire:

Volume with name SYS is failing. Please try to run Repair to fix errors for disk XXXX.

OEM. It is a Fujitsu Siemens SCAELO

2 x 500 GB internal (including the SYS drive). Only internal drives as supplied by Fujitsu Siemens.

APC Back-UPS  RS 800

Diskeeper Defragmenter

Squeeze Center music server.

14,4 GB

All Storage Hard Drives now read "Healthy"

No, I restarted the server.

Did not try "Repair", restart fixed the problem, Still running OK.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 8:01 AM
  • Add one more WHS with this issue....

I get the yellow health warning icon, and when I log into the WHS console it tells me that my SYS volume is failing and needs to be repaired.

This is a home-built server (ASUS m2n-vm AMD 4800+ 2 GB RAM 2 x Seagate 750G).

How many hard drives, what size?  Internal?  External?

2 x internal SATA (750 GB system, 750 GB data) in WHS storage pool

Do you have have UPS system hooked up to your home server?  which one?

Yes, Powerware 5110 connected by USB, running latest LanSafe V5.1.3

Event Viewer 1.1
    Have you loaded any software on your home server using a Remote Desktop session?

No

How much free space do you have on your C: drive (SYS) on your home server?

16 GB

What is the status of the hard drives in the Server Storage tab on the Windows Home Server Console?

The ones in the WHS pool are all "Healthy", except for the drive containing the SYS volume which is turning unhealthy once a week

Did you run the “Repair” option on any hard drives using the Windows Home Server Console?

Yes, once I get the yellow health warning I run "Repair" on the system drive. 

Did “Repair” fix the issue?  For how long?

Yes, "Repair" always fixes the issue. But it lasts only for about a week, then the warning comes back.

There are no errors in the System log that indicate any hardware or disk write failures....

TonyT
    Monday, May 19, 2008 11:26 AM
  •  

A while ago I added my voice to the collection of people that are having the sys volume fail warning. I would get this warning every 6-7 hours. I purchased drives, a good UPS and replaced the power supply modules - nothing worked.

This weekend I decided to clean up the wiring to the server. I removed ALL surge protectors and brought power out directly from the fuse panel into an outlet by the server in the basement. Plugged in an APC Smart-Ups 1500.  So far its been over 24 hours and all is still green.

I may be premature but I bet a lot of people are using surge protectors. Run a good extention cord from an outlet directly to the server, see if you get less or no warnings. It's worth a shot To be honest, I ran an extention from an outlet at first with no surge protectors and found my warnings were much less. Now that I am going through the UPS I have not seen any warnings ----- Yet ?

I will be monitoring this thread and post to it when I have more updates.

Monday, May 19, 2008 10:11 PM
  •  pfostini wrote:

I removed ALL surge protectors and brought power out directly from the fuse panel into an outlet by the server in the basement. Plugged in an APC Smart-Ups 1500.  So far its been over 24 hours and all is still green.

Using a surge protector WITH a ups is counter-indicated due to the non sinusoidal wave form.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:16 AM
  •  

I am glad to see a reason for it. Not many people will know that. I for one just needed to bring my UPS outlets closer to the server since it has 3 redundent powers supplies and with that, 3 seperate plugs. I finally went to an industrial supply store and purchased a good quality, plain old plugstrip with just a circuit breaker in it.

Not many stores sell plugstrips with no surge protectors in them.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:31 PM
  • ·     What is the exact text of the error message you are seeing?

Simply the yellow warning that the Sys drive is failing and to repair it. The only errors I can find in the log that could possibly pertain to this error are a metric ton of :

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine IEventSystem:Tongue Tiedtore. hr = 0x80040206.

Homebrew Opteron 170, A8R32-MVP, addin SI3132 sata card, 2 gigs of ram, dual 500watt psu's

10 drives, all internal, all sata.

1x250 WD (system)

1x750 Seagate

8x750 WD's

Yes. Opti UPS Thunder Shield 1700B

I don't have bad power, and it's only gone on UPS for 5 seconds once in the last 3 months

Advanced Admin Console 0.4.0

ASoft AutoExit 1.0.1081

Digital ArcHound 1.3.18

Disk Management 1.0.5.0

Other than system drivers at initial configuation 12 months ago, no.

14 gigs

All healthy now.

Yes, the system drive.

It seems to have fixed it, I will start breaking stuff when it happens again.

My concern is that if this is in fact a software error and not a hardware error (as all the utilities I've run on the drive tell me it's tip top) is that when something bad actually happens, I won't notice it because the damn server's been crying wolf too many times.

I'd just like to stress the fact that I've been running this same hardware since RC1 was available, and that today is the first occurance of this "issue". I'm only concerned because according to other people in this thread, this problem is very simmilar to herpies, once you get it, it keeps on comming back.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:41 PM
  • Quote:

" I'm only concerned because according to other people in this thread, this problem is very simmilar to herpies, once you get it, it keeps on comming back. "

Well it does come back. I thought I had it with the surge protectors being an issue ,  but ...... It's Back .......

I know for sure it's not hardware, everything has been changed out. I will answer the same questions as Matt

* What is the exact text of the error message you are seeing?

Simply the yellow warning that the Sys drive is failing and to repair it.

*  Is this an OEM product (e.g. HP, Fujitsu Siemens, Tranquil) or a home-built home server?

home-built Supermicro serverboard X5DA8 Dual Xeon Proccessor, 600 watt tripple redundant PS, 9 drives, 4 gigs of Ram, Esata card.

* How many hard drives, what size?  Internal?  External?

9 drives.  1 SCSI 300 gig sys drive , 4 Pata internal 500 gig drives, 4 1TB External Esata/ Sata drives.

*  Do you have have UPS system hooked up to your home server?  which one?

APC Smart-UPS 1500 - Power is clean

ArcSoft Auto Exit

Event viewer

Lights out

Whiist

WHS toolkit

Disk Management

Wake on Lan

I get the error even when there are no add-ins installed

* Have you loaded any software on your home server using a Remote Desktop session?

No

* How much free space do you have on your C: drive (SYS) on your home server?

11.1 gigs

* What is the status of the hard drives in the Server Storage tab on the Windows Home Server Console?

Always on restart - all is healthy but wait a few hours Then "

Volume with name SYS is failing. Please try to run Repair to fix errors for disk FUJITSU MAW3300NC SCSI Disk Device."

* Did you run the “Repair” option on any hard drives using the Windows Home Server Console?

Yes, the system drive.

*   Did “Repair” fix the issue?  For how long?

Yes but only for 4-5 hours

I too have been running RC1 with the same hardware without this glitch. I ran several tests on the drives, replaced PS modules, Rewired AC, Bought another SCSI 300 gig sys drive ( same issues ).  Another video card, Network card, Esata Card and a replacement motherboard. All this one change at a time and I get the same warning..

Volume with name SYS is failing. Please try to run Repair to fix errors for disk FUJITSU MAW3300NC SCSI Disk Device.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:12 AM
  • Sign up for the Power Pack 1 beta on http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer.  This issue of false positives should be fixed in the Power Pack 1 release.   The beta is forthcoming in the first part of June. You can download an evaluation version of Windows Home Server if you don't want to test the beta on your production home server.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:22 AM

• Have signed up for PP-1 Beta... but must confess that the problem has been fixed since I double checked my power to discover that my UPS was in fact connected behind a GPO that had a surge suppressor in it.  Since switch power outlets my nightly SYS drive failing alerts have stopped all together (1 week and counting)....

Who would have picked it as a power problem !!!

Thanks to the forum for providing the collective troubleshooting resource
    Cheers
    TonyT
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 8:53 AM
  • WHS continues to report [once or twice a day with no activity on server] that SYS vol is failing... Repair corrects yellow caution.  Before repair:  CHKNTFS - not dirty, tools - Disk Check - no errors, CHKDSK - reports file system errors that need fixing but it isn't obvious to me what those errors are.  After repair: CHKDSK does not report errors until the next yellow flag.  Primary drive WD750Gb SATA1 backed-up by Acronis True Image bootable CD to WD250Gb SATA2 which is disabled in WHS.  Still looking for answer... working... ed

System Info:  Vision/Xeon Q6600 Intel CoreDuoQuad 2.4Ghz/4Gb DDR2-800/RAID disabled, SATA1=WD750Gb SATA2=WD250Gb[disabled in WHS used to Image SATA1 (SYS & DATA)] 2ea WD250Gb spare drives in rack but not connected/WHS oem installed by user 15-Apr-08/no external drives/Ultra-1000AP 600Watt UPS 13%load/No Add-Ins/no software installed remotely/PerfectDisk08, StarDot DVR, UPSMON+, all Win critical & hardware Updates installed and maintained via WHS console... KB941914 installed 15-Apr-08 but listed files don't match/no c:\fs\/no WHS backup used [no computers running NTFS save WHS] however service is active.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator
     4:52:50 27-May-08>chkdsk
    Volume label is SYS.

21840 file records processed.
    18 large file records processed.
    0 EA records processed.
    2 reparse records processed.
    72094 index entries processed.
    21840 security descriptors processed.
    2473 data files processed.
    34391504 USN bytes processed.

6004828 KB in 17563 files.
          5368 KB in 2474 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        122941 KB in use by the system.
      14839688 KB available on disk.

3709922 allocation units available on disk.

4:53:11 27-May-08>

4:55:46 27-May-08>chkntfs C:
    C: is not dirty.

4:55:54 27-May-08>

5:58:57 27-May-08>chkdsk
    Volume label is SYS.

0 EA records processed.
    72102 index entries processed.
    2472 data files processed.
    37635520 USN bytes processed.

6005952 KB in 17573 files.
          5364 KB in 2473 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        126013 KB in use by the system.
      14835496 KB available on disk.

3708874 allocation units available on disk.

5:59:14 27-May-08>
     7:09:49 28-May-08>chkdsk
    Volume label is SYS.
    0 EA records processed.
    72148 index entries processed.
    2472 data files processed.
    37148912 USN bytes processed.
       6285076 KB in 17613 files.
          5372 KB in 2473 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        125501 KB in use by the system.
      14556876 KB available on disk.
       3639219 allocation units available on disk.
     7:10:09 28-May-08>chkdsk d:
    Volume label is DATA.
    672 file records processed.
    0 large file records processed.
    0 EA records processed.
    2343 index entries processed.
    672 security descriptors processed.
    34 data files processed.
    1135888 USN bytes processed.
     711591142 KB total disk space.
       9616244 KB in 596 files.
           200 KB in 35 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
         89886 KB in use by the system.
     701884812 KB available on disk.
     177897785 total allocation units on disk.
     175471203 allocation units available on disk.
     7:10:37 28-May-08>
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:34 AM
  • I Jinxed it !!!  Its back this morning ; Sys Volume failing.....

chkdsk /f on C:, Event log showed in the Winlogon event:

Checking file system on C:
    Volume label is SYS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.                        
    Cleaning up instance tags for file 0x3797.
    Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
    Cleaning up 3 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 3 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 3 unused security descriptors.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.

5224908 KB in 15595 files.
          4536 KB in 1832 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        119253 KB in use by the system.
      15624128 KB available on disk.

3906032 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    b0 48 00 00 1f 44 00 00 0f 55 00 00 00 00 00 00  .H...D...U......
    3e 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 f4 01 00 00 00 00 00 00  >...............
    38 c9 4d 01 00 00 00 00 3c 18 f4 07 00 00 00 00  8.M.....<.......
    68 e3 6b 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  h.k.............
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 be 7a 9f 13 00 00 00 00  .........z......
    99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 3d 9f 82 7c 05 00 00 00  ..6.....=..|....
    eb 3c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 30 e7 3e 01 00 00 00  .<.......0.>....

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.

Preceeding events between the prior automated chkdsk run, and the one that flag the disk integrity error include:

1) a quantity of Volsnap events : "The oldest shadow copy of volume C:\fs\4 was deleted to keep disk space usage for shadow copies of volume C:\fs\4 below the user defined limit."

2) a warning from Perflib

<<The configuration information of the performance library "C:\WINDOWS\system32\infoctrs.dll" for the
    "InetInfo" service does not match the trusted performance library information
    stored in the registry. The functions in this library will not be treated as trusted.>>

Could either of these be related ?

TonyT
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 9:48 PM
  • I posted this in a different thread, but what finally seemed to resolve the problem for me was adding more memory to my WHS. I had the 512 meg that HP shipped it with and got this error 3-4 times a week. Since upgrading to 2 gigs I haven't gotten it at all.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 6:23 PM
  • Hi Boaster01

I've got 2G brand name memory onboard already, so I guess that's not the issue - but memory issues are a good idea - been caught out by faulty/low quality memory causing all sorts of seemingly unrelated symptoms on other PC's...

Cheers,
    Tony
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 9:33 AM
  • bump....
    Friday, June 20, 2008 3:24 AM
  • I was also getting the sys volume failing message, every couple of days, until I replaced the motherboard in the server. I also loaded the chipset drivers that came with the new motherboard. All the of hardware in the server is the same (CPU, RAM, Harddrives). Since I replace it, I haven't had the SYS volume failure message. It's been about 2 weeks now.

I'm not sure if the new motherboard, or loading the chipset drivers fixed the issue. I don't think I loaded the chipset drivers for the old motherboard when I built the server originally.

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:36 AM
  • Anything you do can fix it for a couple of weeks, but clearly the HDD's have NOTHING to do with this error message.  It is an erroneous error message.

Friday, June 20, 2008 6:23 PM
  • It's an erroneous error message, but appears to be hardware related. I have two servers here, neither of which have ever exhibited the error message. Both of those, are 'proper' servers, with full Server 2003 compatibility and drivers. Another one, with a Gigabyte consumer motherboard, also with server 2003 drivers, regularly showed the error - so I dismantled it!

(All hard drives were identical).

Colin

Friday, June 20, 2008 6:59 PM
  • I am wondering if Power Pack one cleaned some of this up. I have not seen the error since PP1 was installed.

Friday, June 20, 2008 7:58 PM
  • I have multiple units all displaying this error and i installed pp1 one one machine and the error has not shown up on it so i upgraded the others and so far it looks good.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 8:52 PM
  •  pfostini wrote:
    I am wondering if Power Pack one cleaned some of this up. I have not seen the error since PP1 was installed.

Nope, it hasn't for me... I installed the Power Pack on my server, but I am still getting the same error as usual.

Regards,
    Dirk

Friday, June 20, 2008 11:34 PM
  •  dflachbart wrote:
     pfostini wrote:
    I am wondering if Power Pack one cleaned some of this up. I have not seen the error since PP1 was installed.

Nope, it hasn't for me... I installed the Power Pack on my server, but I am still getting the same error as usual.

Regards,
    Dirk

I have not seen the error since March 29th when I moved all but SYS to an inexpensive add on IDE controller.  I can say with confidence the problem is fixed on my server.

Saturday, June 21, 2008 4:42 AM
  • I am still experiencing the pro******lem following the PP1 update. To those who have said, in this thread and elsewhere, that this is a minor pro******lem: The real damage that this ******ug is doing is that it is teaching users to ignore the message. Those who are really experiencing imminent drive failure are, in effect,&n******sp; ******eing deprived of the warning that might give them a much smoother recovery.&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;&n******sp;
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:33 PM
  •  Boaster01 wrote:
    I have a brand new HP MediaSmart server and this error appeared right after running an automatic update. I ran the repair utility and it found nothing wrong. I ran chkdsk at the server level and it found nothing wrong. Now the drive is reporting that it is healthy.  I am *not* running a UPS.

I have been having the same problem with my HP MediaSmart server for a number of weeks now. Mine also started after they did an update. I don't have a UPS attached to my server. It also doesn't appear to be overheating.  Even during a backup, the front of the drive bay stays relatively cool to the touch.

If the drive is truly failing, is there a simple way to clone it onto a larger replacement?
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:24 PM
  • OPB,

Some people have successfully used something like Acronis to duplicate the first drive, while others have had failure!

You do know that you can do a re-install, which preserves all your data. The procedure should be in your HP info.

However, as this appears to be a reasonably common error message, if you aren't getting any other symptoms, I wouldn't bother doing a re-install.

Maybe, to be on the safe side, if you know the manufacturer of the hard drives, you could use their own diagnostic tools to check them out.

Colin

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:57 PM
  • IF after loading Power Pack 1 you are still getting this error message - then PLEASE file a bug report on Connect with your Server logs.  It is highly likely that you have a failing hard drive if you still see this message after updating your home server to Power Pack 1. 

To confirm the circumstances - the team needs your logs from your home server and a screen shot of your Server Storage tab, and a screenshot of the error message.

Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:17 PM
  • Will lodge a bug report - I have replaced my WHS server with a new HP Proliant, have installed all the latest drivers, installed brand new Seagate 750G server drives (NS not AS), installed PP1, and 2 weeks later - the infamous SYS volume failing is back... AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 11:58 PM
  • I have also started to get sys faling once a week. Also it seems to happen when backing up my Vista machine to WHS.

Also VolSnap craps out with the error message:

The shadow copy storage volume specified for shadow copies on volume C: could not be added.

VSS

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error DeviceIoControl(\\?\Volume{85d11578-790b-11dd-ad74-000ae487596c} - 00000178,0x0053c020,000377C8,0,00039C88,4096,[0]). hr = 0x80070057.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:28 PM
  • Nudge... no new news on this it appears...?
    - I'm still doing a chkdsk /f every week, regular as clockwork.
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:26 PM
  • TonyT65 said:

Nudge... no new news on this it appears...?
    - I'm still doing a chkdsk /f every week, regular as clockwork.

Hello,

What is the Connect Feedback ID number for your bug report?

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Connect Feedback ID ?
    Bug Report ?

"Bug report" consists of various posts to this subject on this and other forumns seeking community feedback. Bug Data - Event Viewer details (always a volume index inconsistency issue).  

From this and other forums I sense this SYS DRIVE FAILING is an ongoing issue, that existed pre PP1 - If anything PP1 just padded out the duration between it occurence to something like 10 to 14 days from the previous 3 to 5 day cycle.

This is my third server hardware setup (now a brand new Compaq Proliant ML110 G4 server with W2003 driver set) and my third set of hard disks (now Seagate Serevr grade drives, not consumer PC drives) - No mater what hardware, driver set, CPU, powersupply, hard disk type I use I am consistently seeing this SYS Drive Failing alert on a regular and consistent cycle.  Given the range of brand new HD I have used (seagate 320G consumer PC drive, then 500G Samsung consumer drive, now Seagate 750G server drive) I would find it extremely unlikely to be a case of 3 bad HD in a row - if it is I'm going to buy a lottery ticket, :)

I've even changed powersupply and now use an active UPS (Powerware) to rule out mains power related possibilities.

After 7 years of simple, trouble free NAS box use on my home LAN, WHS is proving to be an "adventure" in uncertainty... :(

Cheers,
    TonyT
    Sydney
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:52 PM
  • TonyT65 said:

Connect Feedback ID ?
    Bug Report ?

"Bug report" consists of various posts to this subject on this and other forumns seeking community feedback. Bug Data - Event Viewer details (always a volume index inconsistency issue).  

From this and other forums I sense this SYS DRIVE FAILING is an ongoing issue, that existed pre PP1 - If anything PP1 just padded out the duration between it occurence to something like 10 to 14 days from the previous 3 to 5 day cycle.

This is my third server hardware setup (now a brand new Compaq Proliant ML110 G4 server with W2003 driver set) and my third set of hard disks (now Seagate Serevr grade drives, not consumer PC drives) - No mater what hardware, driver set, CPU, powersupply, hard disk type I use I am consistently seeing this SYS Drive Failing alert on a regular and consistent cycle.  Given the range of brand new HD I have used (seagate 320G consumer PC drive, then 500G Samsung consumer drive, now Seagate 750G server drive) I would find it extremely unlikely to be a case of 3 bad HD in a row - if it is I'm going to buy a lottery ticket, :)

I've even changed powersupply and now use an active UPS (Powerware) to rule out mains power related possibilities.

After 7 years of simple, trouble free NAS box use on my home LAN, WHS is proving to be an "adventure" in uncertainty... :(

Cheers,
    TonyT
    Sydney

Can you please check if you have the same problem as me? Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Need one of the chkdsk logs right after you get the SYS failing warning, name of the log is chkdsk_C.log (remember only right after you get the SYS failing message and have run a repair).

I get the following error:

Correcting errors in the uppercase file.

I sendt inn a error report wit the CAB number of: 515625072

The drive failure message pops up mostly after midnight when one task or another is run and drive consistency is checked.

• Edited by mleru Tuesday, September 30, 2008 3:10 PM
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 3:09 PM
  • Hi - will check next week when the error comes back again.... thanks.

Where do I find the error report that you filed?  Sounds similar in that the SYS failing always seems to happen during the night some time, and the alarm shows up in the morning.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 12:42 PM
  • Hi, I used the WHS toolkit. It has a buildt inn method of sending logs to MS.

The toolkit kan be downloaded here: Whs Toolkit

I don't know any other way to file a bugreport :(

Try to watch what happens at midnight one time and see if chkdsk events pop up in the event logs on the server. 
    Also last time I had the "Shadow Copies" (My Computer --> SYS(C:) --> Properties --> Shadow Copies ) tab for the SYS volume open when the task activated.

What I saw was a "300" pop under the "Used" tab , indicating that a shadow copy being made. Even if it is disabled both in registry and in the shadow copies configuration. What I'm wondering is what service or task is calling VVS.

I'll try to run Process Explorer from Sysinternals to see what is happening at midnight tonight. Just hope it runs today, as it is not always happens.  
    • Edited by mleru Thursday, October 2, 2008 4:45 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 4:41 PM
  • Error is the same as always... the chkdsk run at midnight turns up 5 unindexed records are discovered approx every 10 days.  chkdsk /f fixes this, and the cycle repeats 10 days later....

Volume label is SYS.

0 percent complete. (0 of 18704 file records processed)       
     1 percent complete. (1871 of 18704 file records processed)       
     2 percent complete. (3741 of 18704 file records processed)       
     3 percent complete. (5612 of 18704 file records processed)       
     4 percent complete. (7482 of 18704 file records processed)       
     5 percent complete. (9352 of 18704 file records processed)       
     6 percent complete. (11223 of 18704 file records processed)       
     7 percent complete. (13093 of 18704 file records processed)       
     8 percent complete. (14964 of 18704 file records processed)       
     9 percent complete. (16834 of 18704 file records processed)       
    18704 file records processed.                                 

10 percent complete. (1 of 20 large file records processed) 
    20 large file records processed.                           

0 EA records processed.                                   

3 reparse records processed.                              

10 percent complete. (1 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    10 percent complete. (507 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    10 percent complete. (1009 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    10 percent complete. (1517 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    10 percent complete. (2022 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    10 percent complete. (2526 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    10 percent complete. (3032 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    10 percent complete. (3534 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    11 percent complete. (3662 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    11 percent complete. (4166 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    11 percent complete. (4674 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    11 percent complete. (5179 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    11 percent complete. (5683 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    11 percent complete. (6183 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    11 percent complete. (6688 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    11 percent complete. (7193 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    12 percent complete. (7331 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    12 percent complete. (7831 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    12 percent complete. (8334 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    12 percent complete. (8838 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    12 percent complete. (9341 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    12 percent complete. (9846 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    12 percent complete. (10355 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    12 percent complete. (10863 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    13 percent complete. (10991 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    13 percent complete. (11498 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    13 percent complete. (12006 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    13 percent complete. (12513 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    13 percent complete. (13020 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    13 percent complete. (13527 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    13 percent complete. (14031 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    13 percent complete. (14533 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    14 percent complete. (14659 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    14 percent complete. (15160 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    14 percent complete. (15664 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    14 percent complete. (16172 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    14 percent complete. (16673 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    14 percent complete. (17177 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    14 percent complete. (17679 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    14 percent complete. (18183 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    15 percent complete. (18318 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    15 percent complete. (18827 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    15 percent complete. (19332 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    15 percent complete. (19836 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    15 percent complete. (20336 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    15 percent complete. (20836 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    15 percent complete. (21336 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    15 percent complete. (21836 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    16 percent complete. (21982 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    16 percent complete. (22482 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    16 percent complete. (22982 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    16 percent complete. (23482 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    16 percent complete. (23982 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    16 percent complete. (24482 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    16 percent complete. (24982 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    16 percent complete. (25482 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    17 percent complete. (25647 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    17 percent complete. (26147 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    17 percent complete. (26647 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    17 percent complete. (27147 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    17 percent complete. (27647 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    17 percent complete. (28147 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    17 percent complete. (28647 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    17 percent complete. (29147 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    18 percent complete. (29312 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    18 percent complete. (29812 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    18 percent complete. (30312 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    18 percent complete. (30812 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    18 percent complete. (31312 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    18 percent complete. (31812 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    18 percent complete. (32312 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    18 percent complete. (32812 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    19 percent complete. (32976 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    19 percent complete. (33476 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    19 percent complete. (33976 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    19 percent complete. (34476 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    19 percent complete. (34976 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    19 percent complete. (35476 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    19 percent complete. (35976 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    19 percent complete. (36476 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    20 percent complete. (36641 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    20 percent complete. (37141 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    20 percent complete. (37641 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    20 percent complete. (38141 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    20 percent complete. (38641 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    20 percent complete. (39141 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    20 percent complete. (39641 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    20 percent complete. (40141 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    21 percent complete. (40306 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    21 percent complete. (40806 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    21 percent complete. (41306 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    21 percent complete. (41806 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    21 percent complete. (42306 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    21 percent complete. (42806 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    21 percent complete. (43306 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    21 percent complete. (43806 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    22 percent complete. (43970 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    22 percent complete. (44470 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    22 percent complete. (44970 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    22 percent complete. (45470 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    22 percent complete. (45970 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    22 percent complete. (46470 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    22 percent complete. (46970 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    22 percent complete. (47470 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    23 percent complete. (47635 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    23 percent complete. (48135 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    23 percent complete. (48635 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    23 percent complete. (49135 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    23 percent complete. (49635 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    23 percent complete. (50135 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    23 percent complete. (50635 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    23 percent complete. (51135 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    24 percent complete. (51299 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    24 percent complete. (51799 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    24 percent complete. (52299 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    24 percent complete. (52799 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    24 percent complete. (53299 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    24 percent complete. (53799 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    24 percent complete. (54299 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    24 percent complete. (54799 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    25 percent complete. (54964 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    25 percent complete. (55464 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    25 percent complete. (55964 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    25 percent complete. (56464 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    25 percent complete. (56964 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    25 percent complete. (57464 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    25 percent complete. (57964 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    25 percent complete. (58464 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    26 percent complete. (58629 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    26 percent complete. (59129 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    26 percent complete. (59629 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    26 percent complete. (60129 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    26 percent complete. (60629 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    26 percent complete. (61129 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    26 percent complete. (61629 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    26 percent complete. (62129 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    27 percent complete. (62293 of 62733 index entries processed)      
    62733 index entries processed.                                

27 percent complete. (5000 of 18704 descriptors processed)        
    27 percent complete. (10000 of 18704 descriptors processed)        
    28 percent complete. (12893 of 18704 descriptors processed)        
    28 percent complete. (17893 of 18704 descriptors processed)        
    18704 security descriptors processed.                         

1941 data files processed.                                   

98 percent complete. (0 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (1048576 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (2097152 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (3145728 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (4194304 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (5242880 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (6291456 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (7340032 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (8388608 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (9437184 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (10485760 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (11534336 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (12582912 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (13631488 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (14680064 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (15728640 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    98 percent complete. (16777216 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (17371136 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (18419712 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (19468288 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (20516864 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (21565440 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (22614016 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (23662592 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (24711168 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (25759744 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (26808320 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (27856896 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (28905472 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (29954048 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (31002624 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (32051200 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (33099776 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (34148352 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (35196928 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    99 percent complete. (36245504 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    100 percent complete. (36311040 of 36311208 USN bytes processed)          
    36311208 USN bytes processed.                                    

4123032 KB in 16390 files.
          4892 KB in 1942 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        121869 KB in use by the system.
      16723032 KB available on disk.

4180758 allocation units available on disk.

• Edited by TonyT65 Sunday, October 12, 2008 1:21 AM
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 1:20 AM
  • Tony, if you haven't, could you submit a bug report on Connect including logs from your server collected using the WHS Toolkit? A bug report here in the forums just doesn't include enough information for Microsoft to be able to research the issue.

Also, can you give us information about everything you've installed on your server other than WHS itself? The problem you're experiencing isn't a common one. (I've never seen it on any of my servers or those I've helped friends and acquaintances with.) I have to think it's something about your server's environment or configuration.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 1:25 PM
  • Hi Ken

I have the whs toolkit now installed on my PC.  I'll wait for the next expected instance of this error (~10 days - 2 = 8 days)  to come up again and then capture the WHS logs using the toolkit within 12 hours for diagnosis and Connect TT submission - unless you feel its worth collecting and sending now....?

As said before, this is the 3rd hardware system I have used for my OEM WHS install + PP1 and 3rd set of drives, etc etc.  Not having the skills or knowledge to dig into MS logs myself and figure out the sequence of OS events, I'm very keen for someone to provide diagnosis. 

The issue has been present for as long as I have used WHS ~ 1 year.  On my current (3rd) system (ML110 G4) I had no Add-ins installed for a long time, but the SYS Drive Failing arrived every 10 days.  I just accepted the regular error alert and lived with regular chkdsk /f every 11 days.  I recently installed Sam Woods' WHS Disk Management V1.0.9.8.  There have been no other add-ins installed or removed beyond this one.  I have 2 x Segate NS grade 750G sata2 drives installed to Storage with most folders with duplication ON, and another 750G AS grade Seagate on the server as a WHS backup (not in storage pool).

... so its a pretty vanilla setup.

Cheers
    Tony
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:46 AM
  • I strongly disagree it isn't a common issue. There are quite a lot of people reporting this, not to mention all those users that have never even heard about this forum. You are asking ordinary users to file bug reports. Why didn't Microsoft just put ordinary error reporting into this product? Disk related errors should give some kind of understandable error somewhere (in the event log, to mention one place). As WHS report my sys drive being unhealthy, somewhere in the code someone at Microsoft did define what could trigger that exact error message. So please tell us what makes Windows Home Server state the drive as being unhealthy! That might help us all figure out why this happens. Luckily I didn't exchange any hardware when I first was told this was definitely hardware related. Yeah - it isn't, and I was right from the very beginning!
    Monday, October 20, 2008 4:51 PM
  • Christen,

If you are experiencing this, could you please follow the method mentioned by Ken above and file your report on Connect.

It isn't a common problem, even though there are some people reporting it. I now run 4 servers, and have sold over 30 servers, not one of these have ever exhibited this 'bug' and none of my customers have suffered from it.
    I guess one of the problems could be hardware combinations, which even Microsoft cannot test all possible ones, so that's the main reason they request the bug reports.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, October 20, 2008 5:28 PM
  • First thing first - it makes me angry that everybody (in charge) refuses to answer our questions. I've been asking about what WHS is trying to tell me. If there is an error message, there must be an underlying reason. Somebody has written the code that presents this error message to me. I don't want to see a stupid WHS color coded error telling me that "something" is wrong. I want to see a SMART error, a reference to file allocation tables being corrupt or anything else telling me how WHS has come to the conclusion that this HDD is unhealthy. Then, but only then, will I think it is reasonable to investigate why that happened. Remember that "you" (several MS representatives/moderators, superusers in this forum) told us to exchange hardware in the beginning! I don't know how to do what you ask about, and I don't want to install any toolkit to clutter this server. It isn't a beta test any longer!

Furthermore, this error is common as far as I can see. It's not just a few users. Among those are users running the HP Mediasmart. In my case, I have the same ML110 server with Seagate server grade disks as Tony.

If I hear even once more that this is a very strange error that just a few users have been experiencing, or I don't get the underlying errors that can lead to the unhealthy status, I'll go straight to PCWorld to report this. I'm not patient any longer!

Christen

Monday, October 20, 2008 6:28 PM
  • Someone never faces reality... This error is an error itself. Show me where it originates! When the GUI presents a message like this to the user, there should always be an underlying reason. Microsoft has got to tell exactly what subsystem or process that can trigger this error message. I want to know if it originates from a SMART error (unlikely), a chkdsk run or some special WHS process. It doesn't come from nowhere, that's for sure.

Christen
    Monday, October 20, 2008 7:19 PM
  • Has anybody investigated this idea any further?! Would have made perfect sense if it is in fact network (router) related. That could be why someone suffers from it even after exchanging all hardware! I've started using remote access, and I didn't reach the home server home page from the outside. Then this sys failing message re-appeared. Now the status is green again, and the remote access works again. I still think this problem would be solved much faster if someone would please tell us what code line can trigger this error message. There will always be some underlying reason. Disk related error messages shouldn't appear unless some underlying process or subsystem reports an error. What exact such underlying errors are allowed to trigger this message???

Christen
    Monday, October 20, 2008 7:33 PM
  • QUESTION - I installed the WHS Toolkit per the link earlier in this thread.  It is on my Vista Laptop, and the associated readme describes a Server Addin that is automatically installed....

>>>>I can find no trace of this WHS Server Addin - its not in the software/addins folder, and doesn't appear on the WHS anywhere.

- I have run the 2 tools (Connector Troubleshooter + Error Reporting) on my Laptop, but it is not obvious if this is collecting the full suite of WHS logs - my interpretation of the Toolkit doc is that the WHS addin does that job?

I'd like to get the bug report done once and fully if possible - as the sys failing error only happens every 10 days, and I can't always be around to capture the issue within 12 to 48 hrs hours of it's occurence.

Cheers,
    TonyT
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:17 AM
  • OK - apologies for replying to my own message :P

The instructions in the Toolkit user guide are apparently incorrect....!

Specifically, I found the following instructions contain a typo and an incorrect programme name:

1.      In Windows Vista, Click Start, run and then type cmd in the open text box. In Windows XP, Click Start, run and then type cmd in the open text box.
    A command-prompt window opens.

<<TonyT>> OK

2.      At the command prompt, type “cd –d %ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server\Toolkit” (without the quotation marks) to change the current directory.

<<TonyT>> ProgramFiles should read Program Files - stupid I know, but I actually copied this LITERALLY and got the "Directory does not exist" error twice before guessing that it was missing the space between Program & Files

3.      Type ClientTroubleShooter.exe –a to start the Troubleshooter.

<<TonyT>> - No such executable in the Toolkit folder - but I found and ran ConnectorTroubleShooter.exe, and could install the server add-in.

Just thought I'd pass on the feedback on the above "attention to detail" issues :)

Cheers,
    TonyT

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:45 AM
  • Hi Tony,
    the Toolkit has not been updated after the rollout of Power Pack 1, this may cause some of the instructions becoming obsolete or incorrect (besides of some mistakes contained from the beginning). Thanks for posting this.

The other problem I see here is attaching new problems to a thread, which is marked as resolved in the forum, instead of creating a new one for the now appearing problem. Makes it difficult to follow up (I even tend to leave such long threads alone).

About the statement, that this is a problem for many users,  made by somebody in one of the former postings I tend to disagree.
    Even if we see some postings about similar situations here, who comes to the forums? Usually people, who have already problems and need some help to solve them.
    And how many Windows Home Servers are doing their job without much trouble world wide?  If all these users would have similar severe problems, we would see the forum flooded.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 11:27 AM
  • So it looks like my problem has gone away, have not had the disk error problem in a month now.

The only change to my setup is new HW on my Vista computer, now i'm a happy camper :)
    Monday, November 10, 2008 1:58 PM
  • Tony,

I have added a comment to your bug report as my situation is exactly the same as yours. 2 or 3 minutes after midnight the checkdisk log is generated, 5 unindexed files. For ref my CAB # is 529752058
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:53 PM
  • Hi AtariJeff

Thanks for letting me know - nice to know its not just me... :)

I used that MB for my first WHS build and had this issue on a regular weekly basis - bought new HD's and nothing changed - bought a new MB and reinstalled WHS - no change - bought a new Power Supply - no change - bought new memory - no change...... bought a UPS, no change.  Changed storage drivers, etc etc

Bought a brand new HP W2003 SME server (Proliant ML110 G4) + new drives etc - added PP1.  Get the error every 14 days now - midnight checkdisk comes up with 5 unindexed files...

Freaky !!!

Boy I hope this is something simple I have overlooked, but I'm pretty much tapped out on ideas other than WHS being the common denominator in all 3 builds I have tried.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:23 AM
  • This error went away when I upgraded the memory in my MediaSmart server from the default 512mb it came with to 2 GB.
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:59 PM
  • Hi Boaster01

Good timing for your comments - I've just sourced some new memory to give it a try...

Cheers,
    TonyT
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 1:24 AM
  •  

Tenoq wrote:

The APC is about $500 to replace, and the Liebert is more like $800-$900 (we get stung on pricing of these locally).

No one locally has the batteries.

UPS refurbed with new batts:

It's important to get high quality UPS replacement batteries . If you get cheap ones they die too fast. Always look around online to make sure you get the best ones available. eBay can also be a good source for batteries. Just make sure you are getting ones with a long warranty from a reputable vendor. 

If you get an APC Battery. know the one you need and around the price it should cost. For example, if you're looking for a replacement battery for a smart-ups 1500 , you know it's around $100.00. If you find one for $10, it's obviously going to worthless.

It pays to do due diligence.

Tony

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 8:45 PM
  • This is a known issue and won't be fixed - please see Connect issue 522936.

"We are aware of the particular issue/feature request that you have reported. This issue was taken under consideration. At this time it is not addressable.

Best wishes,

Windows Home Server Team"

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer
    Friday, February 5, 2010 5:30 PM