none
Relevance of the first edition of the Server 2008 core requirements book set. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

A couple of years ago I bought the initial boxed set for the MCITP Windows Server 2008 EA Core requirements but I just never had both the time and motivation to do get into study mode.

Today, I have even less time - though I've finally found the motivation, but I see there's a second edition of these core requirements released. So, what I'm wondering is to what degree the initial boxed set is going to vary from the second edition when it comes to taking these core exams? (Such as 70-640, which is scheduled for this week)

We actually use R2 at work, but I'm a nervous taker of exams. Even if I see an option that relates to R2 (which if I understand correctly is what the second edition caters for), if it comes down to choosing something I know to be correct over something I've read, I'll likely choose the latter since I treat the self-paced literature as gospel (more of an issue where multiple items can be correct, but there is a "best" option).

The details of the set are:

• ISBN-13: 978-0-7356-252-3
    • ISBN-10: 0-7356-2572-7
    • Part No: X14-71536

Cheers,
    Lain

Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:44 AM

Answers

All replies

• Perhaps just to use an example as a basis for why I'm uncertain. In Server 2008 you can't use a UNC when specifying a command line backup. In R2 you can. Which should I consider correct from the 70-640 examination perspective?

Cheers,
    Lain

Sunday, April 17, 2011 12:02 PM
  • No takers? Nobody can clarify if 70-640, 70-642, 70-643 and 70-647 have been reviewed to be based upon Server 2008 R2 rather than just Server 2008?

Cheers,
    Lain

Monday, April 18, 2011 11:25 PM
  • Hi,

I cannot answer question about the second edition of the books but you are right the exams now include R2.

See exam requirements

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-640&locale=en-us

Notice refers to R2

Ozzy Geoff

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:19 PM
  • Hi Ozzy,

I had read that, yes, but in reading the "Skills Measured" tab, I didn't get the confirmation that I really would have liked, so I'm not convinced that the updating of the overview blurb translates to the actual examinable content having been changed - and this is what worries me a little.

What I might do - just out of prudence, it not mark you answer as correct just yet. I've got the exam tomorrow, meaning I'll have the opportunity to possibly give some feedback here as to whether the exam itself reflects R2 or just vanilla 2008. I would have like to have known myself in advance, but that's clearly not going to be the case.

I don't see a profound amount of examinable differences within the scope of 70-640, but then you don't need to get many questions wrong to fail either, so I'm just hoping I either come across no ambiguous questions, or that if I do, that whichever way I decide to answer I pick the right edition.

I must say I'm a little surprised no MCTs have piped up, as I've have expected them to be able to answer this without hesitation.

Cheers,
    Lain

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:48 PM
  • Hi Lain,

I would expect the question to state at the beginning that the 'customer' is running 2008 R2 or 2008.

There are plenty of people on forums who were surprised by R2 questions so I am sure you can expect them, unless you are doing the 73- version (academic).

Good luck in your exam.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Hi Lain,

I dont know whether the books have come with a code to get a copy of the ebook online it might be worth redeeming this and you may be able to download the revised edition. Doubt it but certanily worth a try.

It sounds like you have a good solid background with Server 2008 including R2 so I would suggest brushing up with all the changes that came in R2 should be enough to pass.

This is my plan anyway as I am in a simlar boat as I am taking 70-648 which is an upgrade exam that combines 70-640 and 70-642 to go towards MCITP EA but my book is for plain Server 2008 before R2. 

Hope that has helped a little and good luck

Kevin

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Hi Lain,

A little more info, you probably already have this covered, but

70-642 Version 2 due this month

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780735651609/

70-747 Version 2 due June

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780735656659/

No sign of 70-640 or 70-643 this may reflect the amount they have changed.

Good Luck again

Ozzy Geoff

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:49 PM
  • It sounds like you have a good solid background with Server 2008 including R2 so I would suggest brushing up with all the changes that came in R2 should be enough to pass.

Warning: most training material out there currently has NOT caught up with the latest exams.  A college of mine recently attempted an upgrade exam and failed miserably.  He was able to get 90+ % on all the practice tests, and used current MS press books.  I know this is "word of mouth" advice, and probably not the answer you wanted, but I would get the latest materials
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:16 AM
  • Thanks for the updates, folks.

I did find two questions where the answer would have been different between 2008 and 2008 R2, but out of fifty questions it didn't have a profound impact (they were quite obvious though, so there was no drama answering them). The others were still labelled as pertaining to R2 despite the fact that they were no different fundamentally to the 2008 variants.

Ozzy, thanks for those pointers. I can actually see a bit of scope for change with the examination on Hyper-V and Remote Desktop services for 643. 642 I can't see as much scope for change on. I don't know quite what to think about 647 as I haven't really read the Skills Measured section fully yet.

Joseph, the self-paced material has never really been all-encompassing, to be honest. I remember what you're mentioning above being the case back in 98/99 when I was completing my NT4 MCSE, and it's no different today. I think the general rule of thumb is to take the course material as a starting guide and focus more on playing with the technology - if your environment (home or work) permits. I still managed to get a couple of suprprises in today's exam, but that was to be expected - it was just a question of how many surprises.

Anyway, in summary for anyone else wondering as I had, 70-640 is now based around 2008 R2, not 2008, and there are noticable changes.

Good luck to any other folks beating this path, and again, thanks to those above who took the time to research and respond.

Cheers,
    Lain

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:03 AM