XP crashes with Mozilla and Onecare RRS feed

• Question

• I have a similar problem to one posted recently. It only happens with Mozilla. The system is running Mozilla v5, fresh install of XP Pro with all the updates, and was running with Onecare. I can consistantly repro the issue by loading Google maps and zooming in and out. The system would freeze and require a hard reboot. Disabling Onecare would improve the problem slightly - I could zoom in and out for a while longer before a system freeze. Uninstalling Onecare completely solved the issue.

IE did not have any problems with Google maps when Onecare was installed.

There is an open bug on the Mozilla site related to this issue. Their suggestion was to uninstall Onecare.
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 4:03 AM

Answers

All replies

• I have never heard of this issue and recommend that you contact OneCare support to report it.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, March 8, 2008 3:05 AM
  • Sorry to say but I can confirm that OneCare seems to be responsible for stabilty issues.

Using a browser based on Gecko (Firefox, Seamonkey, Mozilla) and working on a website that uses extensive Javascript quite often leads to a system freeze - unfortunately not directly reproducable, but it seems to have to do with the number of downstreams one has open (like several xhttp-objects transferring data).
    Deactivating OneCare dramatically improves the situation (and comes with the plus that the overall system performance increases, no more noticable glitches when a network transfer is initiated).

Since several users on one of my customer's sites (pure Intranet, no "phishing" or "hacking" sites involved, only Intranet-applications based on XHTML, DHTML and massive Javascript) experienced the same problem the customer has deinstalled OneCare from the users' systems - resulting in stable working environments.
    And no, I was not responsible for the Javascript development there, so it's no MS-bashing from my site. I am a paying OneCare customer (still, but sending off the cancelation right now due to massive workflow problems).
    Friday, March 21, 2008 10:09 AM
  • PS: Activating "MS Alerts" does not work on Seamonkey. I had to start IE just to activate the alerts - not helping :-)
    PPS: Contacting support does not help much since my experience so far with MS support was that it's more than unlikely to get a response. The solution to the problem described is easy: Deactivating or uninstalling the product that interferes. It's not the best solution I could think of (solving the original problem would be) but it works instantly without the massive problems of getting to speak to someone at MS who "knows what he's doing".
    Friday, March 21, 2008 10:16 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback based on your experiences. I can't refute that OneCare is not a participant in the problem, so it is at least good to be aware of the possibility. And, I fully understand your hesitation in going the support route, sorry to say.

-steve

Friday, March 21, 2008 4:19 PM
  • Unfortunately Microsoft seems to have a problem cancelling an abo of "Live One Care". My written request for cancellation has been responded with a "call us under an expensive phone number or use the online cancellation" (which does not fully work in non-IE browsers, at least I was unable to reach parts of the "help" department using a gecko based browser), but they ignored the clearly stated "please cancel my subscription immediately". So I sent off a fax repeating my request and insisting in a written confirmation. I am looking forward to cancelling a subscription the easiest and most natural way: By sending a letter to the company selling the product. Seems this way is "outdated" with MS.

Yesterday evening I had a telephone chat with a developer experiencing the "famous" network delays with One Care being active. He confirmed that with One Care fully active time critical applications will fail in many cases when a new network stream is being opened (that is exactly what I felt). Seemingly One Care hacks itself into socket- or other stream-supporting methods of the system analizing blocks of the data to be transferred. Now if One Care hands back the streams to the application opening them it seems possible that "too many" streams are handed over at the same time (I wonder why that could happen, though).
    Now funnily he said that deactivating the firewall and virus-sniffer functions in One Care doesn't seem to reduce the problem (although in my experience deactivating those functions led to a remarkable increase in overall performance), but deinstalling One Care completely does. I find that strange. Maybe the hacks are still there but return faster than when the functions are active? Granted, his system may be not the average customer's setup and it is quite possible that the multi-core CPU technique is something Windows XP does have its problems with. So it is not easy to just stick out a finger and point at One Care alone, it's possible that the way One Care hacks itself into the system somewhat interfers with the hacks needed for multi-core CPU handling or stream-handling in such a system or what-the-hell.
    Anyway the point stands that uninstalling OneCare solves the mystery of a system experiencing "shaggy" performance when opening network streams.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:04 PM