WHS 120 Day Free Trial RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded WHS for the 120 Day free trial, created the install CD and installed on my own purpose built box. After less than  a fortnight the system started warning me that I had 10 days to activate this software. 9, 8, ....0. After I went over the 21 day limit it would keep warning me and as I wasn't and still can't find any info on the 120 posted free trial period, I assumed it would just continue to annoy me for the remainder of the 120 days. Then the fan on the box started making a noise so I shut down the system and now it won't start unless I Activate it. How on earth does one actually get to benefit from the claimed 120 Day Free Trial and why is it so hard to find information about it.
    Further, even though I am still evaluating it, I am pretty sure that eventually I will purchase this product. It's a Microsoft product but they don't sell it. The only link they provide is a link to the HP page where I have to buy the complete box and dice.
    Can someone please put me out of my misery?

Sunday, May 3, 2009 3:09 AM

Answers

• I downloaded WHS for the 120 Day free trial, created the install CD and installed on my own purpose built box. After less than  a fortnight the system started warning me that I had 10 days to activate this software. 9, 8, ....0. After I went over the 21 day limit it

Actually it's 30 days without activation.

would keep warning me and as I wasn't and still can't find any info on the 120 posted free trial period, I assumed it would just continue to annoy me for the remainder of the 120 days.

You need to request a key through Connect in order to get the full 120 day trial.

Then the fan on the box started making a noise so I shut down the system and now it won't start unless I Activate it. How on earth does one actually get to benefit from the claimed 120 Day Free Trial and why is it so hard to find information about it.

Straight from the download web page:

5. You may now use the Evaluation Edition for 30 days. To use the Evaluation Edition for the full 120-day period, you need to register at the Windows Home Server Connect site and acquire a product key for the Windows Home Server Evaluation Edition software.

Further, even though I am still evaluating it, I am pretty sure that eventually I will purchase this product. It's a Microsoft product but they don't sell it. The only link they provide is a link to the HP page where I have to buy the complete box and dice.
    WHS is only available as an OEM product (not retail unless you purchase a pre-built system).  You can buy the OEM license online from places such as newegg.com and amazon.com.
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 3:27 AM

All replies

• I downloaded WHS for the 120 Day free trial, created the install CD and installed on my own purpose built box. After less than  a fortnight the system started warning me that I had 10 days to activate this software. 9, 8, ....0. After I went over the 21 day limit it

Actually it's 30 days without activation.

would keep warning me and as I wasn't and still can't find any info on the 120 posted free trial period, I assumed it would just continue to annoy me for the remainder of the 120 days.

You need to request a key through Connect in order to get the full 120 day trial.

Then the fan on the box started making a noise so I shut down the system and now it won't start unless I Activate it. How on earth does one actually get to benefit from the claimed 120 Day Free Trial and why is it so hard to find information about it.

Straight from the download web page:

5. You may now use the Evaluation Edition for 30 days. To use the Evaluation Edition for the full 120-day period, you need to register at the Windows Home Server Connect site and acquire a product key for the Windows Home Server Evaluation Edition software.

Further, even though I am still evaluating it, I am pretty sure that eventually I will purchase this product. It's a Microsoft product but they don't sell it. The only link they provide is a link to the HP page where I have to buy the complete box and dice.
    WHS is only available as an OEM product (not retail unless you purchase a pre-built system).  You can buy the OEM license online from places such as newegg.com and amazon.com.
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 3:27 AM
  • Thanks kariya21,
    I did actually try the activate by phone here in AUSTRALIA but the installation key that WHS generated, was invalid (per the recorded voice). I spoke to an operator who gave me a link www.microsoft.com/trysoftware which was no help at all. I'll try you advice and see how I go.
    Thanks again and Cheers
    DW
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 3:46 AM