Windows 7 Ultimate now saying that it is not genuine 'Windows 7, Build 7600, This copy of windows is not genuine' RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I see that my problem has come up with other people before. However, with me my laptop previously got a virus about March time and this virus somehow got rid of windows. So, when I took it to a computer repairs shop, they had to reinstall the windows 7. Since then everything has been working fine until about a week ago when it suddenly said that it was not genuine and the desktop went black. For the product key though, I was thinking that the one that I have on the sticker at the bottom of the laptop wont actually be the right one because the computer shop installed windows again and when I have tried to use this product key with one of the fixes Ive read about it said that it wasn't valid

Any help would be great thanks,

Alison

Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:28 PM

Answers

• "AlisonSinc" wrote in message news:56f521b6-acc6-4ebf-b25b-ef0dcda7dacf...

Hello,

I see that my problem has come up with other people before. However, with me my laptop previously got a virus about March time and this virus somehow got rid of windows. So, when I took it to a computer repairs shop, they had to reinstall the windows 7. Since then everything has been working fine until about a week ago when it suddenly said that it was not genuine and the desktop went black. For the product key though, I was thinking that the one that I have on the sticker at the bottom of the laptop wont actually be the right one because the computer shop installed windows again and when I have tried to use this product key with one of the fixes Ive read about it said that it wasn't valid

Alison

What edition of Windows does the COA Sticker on the case quote as being licensed?
    It’s unusual for a machine to ship with Ultimate installed (but not /that/ unusual) – so the probability is that the shop installed using their own copy of Windows, rather than the proper copy.
    If the COA sticker says anything other than Windows 7 Ultimate, then you should complain to the shop and demand that they correct the problem without further charge  - or at the very least refund the cost of acquiring the Recovery disks for your PC from the manufacturer.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Ah, never thought to check that...the sticker says Home Premium. Looks like I'll be going back to the shop then!

Thank You

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:06 PM

All replies

• In order for us to analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool.

After running the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button, then Paste the report into your post. Also, please include a brief question or pertinent background information that would be helpful in our endeavor to assist you.

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:44 PM
  • "AlisonSinc" wrote in message news:56f521b6-acc6-4ebf-b25b-ef0dcda7dacf...

Hello,

Alison

What edition of Windows does the COA Sticker on the case quote as being licensed?
    It’s unusual for a machine to ship with Ultimate installed (but not /that/ unusual) – so the probability is that the shop installed using their own copy of Windows, rather than the proper copy.
    If the COA sticker says anything other than Windows 7 Ultimate, then you should complain to the shop and demand that they correct the problem without further charge  - or at the very least refund the cost of acquiring the Recovery disks for your PC from the manufacturer.

Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:25 PM
  • Ah, never thought to check that...the sticker says Home Premium. Looks like I'll be going back to the shop then!

Thank You

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:06 PM
  • "AlisonSinc" wrote in message news:0cf04350-e9a1-4f59-8ce1-2cdbb9c1318d...

Ah, never thought to check that...the sticker says Home Premium. Looks like I'll be going back to the shop then!

Thank You

You’re welcome – depending on where you live, a threat to inform law enforcement about counterfeiting can reap considerable rewards, in terms of getting the right attitude from the shop :)
    If you’re in the US, it comes under the jurisdiction of the FBI, rather than the local cops.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:21 PM