Install a backup hard drive to back up WHS drives RRS feed

• Question

• I have two 500GB drives that are back up drives for my home computers. I have a spot where I can install another drive in a bay.
    What I was wondering was can I add a 1.5TB drive but not make it part of the RAID system and use it to back up my two 500GB drives. I know that you can format a drive to back up the server but can it be driven by the WHS OS or does it need to be an external drive. I am just looking for redundancy in the back up system in case one or more of the back up drives crash. The secondary question is if I can do it can I configure WHS to automatically back up the raid drives to the larger backup system drive.

Thanks
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 4:16 AM

All replies

• I have two 500GB drives that are back up drives for my home computers. I have a spot where I can install another drive in a bay.
    What I was wondering was can I add a 1.5TB drive but not make it part of the RAID system and use it to back up my two 500GB drives.

First, RAID is not supported on WHS.

If this is in regards to using the 1.5 TB drive to backup your shared folders on your WHS, yes.  You use the server backup tool included in the Console for that.  You can find details of how to do that in the help section of the Console.  (If you mean something else, please clarify.)

I know that you can format a drive to back up the server but can it be driven by the WHS OS or does it need to be an external drive.

In order to backup the shared folders, you use the Console (which uses the WHS OS obviously).  As for an external drive, It doesn't "have" to be, but it really should be (as there is no real value to having a backup sitting right next to your server because fire, theft, flood, etc. wipes out your server and your backup at the same time).

I am just looking for redundancy in the back up system in case one or more of the back up drives crash. The secondary question is if I can do it can I configure WHS to automatically back up the raid drives to the larger backup system drive.

First, to clarify: there is no backup of the "system drive" (meaning the OS partition).  The server backup function backs up only the shared folders.  As for automatically backup your shared folders through the Console, no.  That is a manual process.  If you want something automatic, you'll have to come up with your own solution (i.e. RoboCopy or SyncToy).

Thanks

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 6:41 AM