none
how to change the default data hard drive? RRS feed

• Question

• hi,
    in this time i test WHS and i have 1 problem..
    I have 2 drivres 1*80Go and 1*500Go, i would like use the first drive (80)  only for the system and the second only for the data.
    how can i do?
    thank you for your help.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 8:38 AM

All replies

• You shouldn´t think like you do under Win XP, small disk for system and big disk for files. From what I've read in these forums it´s the other way around in WHS. 

As I understand WHS creates a partition on the system disk for your System (around 20 GB) and uses the rest of the disk for shuffling data around (?). Anyway, it uses partition 2 of the system disk for some temp-task, and if this partition is to small compared to the other disks in the system, it's either gonna slow your system down or lower the capacity of your server.

You should therefore use the biggest disk in the server for the system. So if you're doing a clean install, only insert the 500disk and set it upp. If you really want to use the 80 GB, insert it when you're done.

/b
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 11:03 AM
  • ok thank you for your answer.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 11:14 AM
  • You don't have any control over the size or location of the system partition. When WHS is installed, it will create a 20 GB system partition on the first disk presented to it which is at least 80 GB in size, and make the rest of the space on that disk the primary data partition. Your only control is in how your disks are connected and how your system BIOS is configured.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:26 PM