WHS repairing of a hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS reported an issue with the system drive on the server and offered to repair it. The repair is taking place as I write this. What I wanted to know was approximately how long the repair process should take before it resolves the issue or reports the drive as being dead. I have a 500GB system drive so I expected it would take a while but it has been going for more than 15 hours now with no end in sight. Does this make sense?
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 8:33 PM

Answers

• I think the answer is along the lines of "how long is a piece of string". Without knowing specificaly whats wrong with the drive, and various other contributing factors I dont think you could really say.

Having said that, 15 hours seems a really long time to me, unless your drive was really hosed!

Andrew

Saturday, February 16, 2008 10:14 PM

All replies

• I think the answer is along the lines of "how long is a piece of string". Without knowing specificaly whats wrong with the drive, and various other contributing factors I dont think you could really say.

Having said that, 15 hours seems a really long time to me, unless your drive was really hosed!

Andrew

Saturday, February 16, 2008 10:14 PM
  • My WHS has done it twice.  It asks me if I want it repaired, then it takes about 15 minutes to repair itself.  It then prompts me to restart the server.  I also have the 500 GB system, but I have an external 500 GB to mirror the internal disk.

The fact that this has happened twice makes me nervous, but both times it has fixed itself without much difficulty.

15 hours does sound too long.  What has happened since then?

Monday, March 24, 2008 3:20 AM
  • It turned out to be a false alarm. I terminated the repair and opened up the box. I checked all of the connections and reseated them. When I started up again everything was fine. The same thing just happened yesterday. This time instead of running the repair I checked all the connections first. Same result, everything was fine.
    Monday, March 24, 2008 11:04 AM
  • how did you go about terminating the repair?
    mine has been running for 26 hours and the progress bar is at about 20%
    i am afraid i will lose data if i turn it off
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:53 AM
  • I can't remember, that was a long time ago. I think I just clicked on cancel or something like that.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 1:59 AM
  • Does anyone know what WHS is actually doing during a hard drive "repair"?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:49 PM
  • Speaking to the earlier issue of primary drive issue and repair, I've been dealing with the same issue for a couple of months.  WHS Server Console incates the drive status as "Unhealthy" and the system drags extremely slow.  I've attempted server repairs and 99% of them never complete.  Only once did it complete the process and the console still indicates the drive is unhealthy and the system still drags painfully slow.  I'm also unable to remove any drives from the combined storage.  I have a total of 8.14 TB of storage with 3.2 TB of space remaining.  Every attempt to remove a drive never completes - we're talking 24 - 48 hours and no completion.

Anyhow, hopefully sometime, somewhere there will be some more information and solutions to these issues.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:59 PM
  • I am also interested to learn what the repair is repairing. I assume it's not just a chkdsk. What tests does whs do to determine there is a problem?

Saturday, June 14, 2008 10:52 AM