none
confusion about certifications RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a legacy MCSD certification, and I'm trying to decide what certification to pursue now.

On the Microsoft Certifications by Technology web site, the available certifications appear to include certifications which are also listed on the Legacy Certifications web page as being no longer available (MCPD, MCTS) as of September 2012.

Can this be explained?

What is a reliable site that discusses the current certification options?

Thanks!

Bill

certifications by technology

legacy certifications

bill

Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Bill,

Since you last certified Microsoft has changed the program significantly on two occasions. The first change involved the MCPD and MCTS certifications.  The MCTS exams focused on the implementation details of features while the MCPD exams asked you to choose the correct technologies based upon a business scenario. You can still take the exams for the Visual Studio 2010 products through next July.

The most recent change just recently took effect. For developers, you can earn a Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD) certification for the Windows track (in either C# of HTML5/JavaScript, no VB.NET) or the Web track. This is not the "same" MCSD as before. The certification requires some knowledge of related technologies (basic SQL queries, Azure, WCF, Skydrive, etc.) It also will require re-certification because technologies in use will change. For example, you can expect SkyDrive and Azure to gain importance over the next few years.

The new exams are outlined here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx.

www.Microsoft.com/Learning is the official channel to learn about Microsoft certifications. Plese let me know if you have additonal questions, and welcome back!

Mike

Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

• Proposed as answer by Mr. WhartyModerator Friday, October 26, 2012 11:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by belgie Friday, October 26, 2012 2:38 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Bill,

Since you last certified Microsoft has changed the program significantly on two occasions. The first change involved the MCPD and MCTS certifications.  The MCTS exams focused on the implementation details of features while the MCPD exams asked you to choose the correct technologies based upon a business scenario. You can still take the exams for the Visual Studio 2010 products through next July.

The most recent change just recently took effect. For developers, you can earn a Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD) certification for the Windows track (in either C# of HTML5/JavaScript, no VB.NET) or the Web track. This is not the "same" MCSD as before. The certification requires some knowledge of related technologies (basic SQL queries, Azure, WCF, Skydrive, etc.) It also will require re-certification because technologies in use will change. For example, you can expect SkyDrive and Azure to gain importance over the next few years.

The new exams are outlined here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx.

www.Microsoft.com/Learning is the official channel to learn about Microsoft certifications. Plese let me know if you have additonal questions, and welcome back!

Mike

Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

• Proposed as answer by Mr. WhartyModerator Friday, October 26, 2012 11:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by belgie Friday, October 26, 2012 2:38 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 5:13 PM
  • Hi Mike -

Thanks a lot for the input.

Do you think my efforts would be well spent in getting up to speed in such topics as WPF, Model-View-Controller, Entity Framework, LINQ, etc. and preparing for the VS 2010 exams prior to the expiration in July? (I have not stayed current with these technologies.)

Or would I be better off in preparing immediately for the VS 2012 exams?

Thanks again.

Bill

bill

Friday, October 26, 2012 2:45 PM
  • I have the same question. I am now ready, after two years of work experience in VS 2010, to take the VS 2010 tests and it is too late already.

Dan

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 2:03 AM
  • I have the same question. I am now ready, after two years of work experience in VS 2010, to take the VS 2010 tests and it is too late already.

Dan

It's not too late to get certified in VS 2010 as the exams don't retire until 31st July 2013.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 2:31 AM