OneCare won't start? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed Windows Live OneCare Beta 2.0, it seemed to install ok but when I restart my computer, OneCare does not appear. It appears in the start menu but if I try to start it I get the error

"The Windows Live OneCare service is not working or has been stopped. To correct this problem, try restarting your computer. If the problem persists, sontact support."

I have gone into services.msc and found that Windows Live OneCare service is started, as is the OneCare Antispyware and AntiVirus service. But the OneCare Firewall service is not started and when I try to start it I get the error

"Could not start the OneCare Firewall service on Local Computer.
    Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

Does anybody know what's happening here?
    Friday, September 21, 2007 2:12 AM

Answers

All replies

• You can troubleshoot the One Care firewall service using this guide - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910659/

If you are unable to resolve the issue please contact support - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-US

Friday, September 21, 2007 3:20 AM
  • Thank you for your advice. I tried http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910659/ and here is how it went

Method 1: Restart the Windows Live OneCare firewall service

Microsoft Protection Service was not in my list of services but the other dependent services were set to automatic and had started.

Method 2: Remove third-party antivirus programs and third-party firewall programs on the computer

I already removed all third-party antivirus programs during the install.

Method 3: Stop and then restart firewall-related services and drivers

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Marcus>Net stop MSFWSVC
    The OneCare Firewall service is not started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521.

C:\Documents and Settings\Marcus>Net stop MSFWDRV
    The MSFWDrv service is not started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521.

C:\Documents and Settings\Marcus>Net stop MSFWHLPR
    The requested pause or stop is not valid for this service.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2191.

C:\Documents and Settings\Marcus>Net start MSFWHLPR
    The requested service has already been started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

C:\Documents and Settings\Marcus>Net start MSFWDRV
    System error 2 has occurred.

The system cannot find the file specified.

C:\Documents and Settings\Marcus>Net start MSFWSVC
    System error 1068 has occurred.

The dependency service or group failed to start.

Method 4: Verify the PATH environment Variable

Followed instructions - nothing.

Method 5: Reinstall MSXML

Method 6: Restart the computer by using a clean boot procedure

Friday, September 21, 2007 4:32 AM
  • Sorry that didn't help. You could try uninstalling and reinstalling One Care or contact support.

Friday, September 21, 2007 4:37 AM
  • Hi, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times. I just can't get the OneCare Firewall service started. I followed the link to contact support, but it just contained a link back to this forum!

Welcome to Windows Live OneCare Help

OneCare is an easy-to-use, computer health service that helps protect and maintain your computer.

This is your gateway to help with OneCare. Use the FAQ list or the Search for box to find answers to your questions. To search more effectively:

• Limit the number of words in your query. Search tries to match all the words you type.
    • Make sure your search terms are spelled correctly.

For more help, Chat with experts in a discussion forum.

Note

To tell us what you think about a particular Help topic, at the bottom of the topic next to Is this topic helpful?, click one of the emoticons . Type your feedback, and then click Submit.

Monday, September 24, 2007 6:23 AM
  • In the lower right hand corner of the page (the link Jim provided opens in two panes - the FAQ on the left and instant support on the right), is a link for "Get More Help." Click through that link.

-steve

Monday, September 24, 2007 3:45 PM
  • I encountered the same problem with OneCare, and this is what I did to get it going:

1. Go to the command console: "RUN", type "services.msc", press enter.

2. Locate and start "telephony" and "terminal services".

Monday, December 3, 2007 2:33 PM
  • Yeah I tried that, but I can't get Terminal Services to start. There must be something wrong with my Windows installation that it doesn't want to co-operate with OneCare, so I think I'll just use Eset Smart Security instead.
    Tuesday, December 4, 2007 1:07 AM
  • I have a problem similar to the one described in "OneCare won't start". I followed the recommended steps as far as running services.msc. The variation I discovered is both OneCare firewall and antispyware/antivirus have started but Windows Live OneCare has not. When I try to start OneCare from the program list in START, I get the "Windows Live OneStart cannot continue.....etc." error message. When I try to start Windows Live OneCare in services.msc, I get the Error 1068 message. I have removed all previously installed spyware and virus protection but in looking at startup files and currently running programs, I found one called symlcsvc.exe (Symantec Core LC) which was identified as some sort of shared file. Any idea what it does and whether it is safe to delete? The OneCare container is marked version 1.5 but I assume the latest version (2.0 or better) was downloaded during the installation attempt. I am running XP. In this unknown state, do I currently have any firewall or virus/spyware protection?

Toucan331

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 7:06 PM
  •  Toucan331 wrote:

I have a problem similar to the one described in "OneCare won't start". I followed the recommended steps as far as running services.msc. The variation I discovered is both OneCare firewall and antispyware/antivirus have started but Windows Live OneCare has not. When I try to start OneCare from the program list in START, I get the "Windows Live OneStart cannot continue.....etc." error message. When I try to start Windows Live OneCare in services.msc, I get the Error 1068 message. I have removed all previously installed spyware and virus protection but in looking at startup files and currently running programs, I found one called symlcsvc.exe (Symantec Core LC) which was identified as some sort of shared file. Any idea what it does and whether it is safe to delete? The OneCare container is marked version 1.5 but I assume the latest version (2.0 or better) was downloaded during the installation attempt. I am running XP. In this unknown state, do I currently have any firewall or virus/spyware protection?

Toucan331

I recommend running the Norton?Symantec removal tool - 

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Then uninstall OneCare and use the cleanup tool - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

Finally reinstall OneCare. If you continue to encounter problems, contact support.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 1:36 AM
  • I ran the Symantec removal tool but it had no effect on the symlcsvc.exe file so I just deleted it with no ill effects. I then uninstalled OneCare and ran the cleanup tool. I have reinstalled OneCare and see no change in the situation. Firewall and Antispyware/virus are running but OneCare has failed to start. I get the "Windows Live OneCare cannot continue ... etc. error a short time after restarting my computer.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:00 PM
  • I went to the OneCare blogsite per your recommendation. It looks like it is primarily for people who actually have got OneCare to install successfully. What really amazed me were the 30-40 comments at the end of the page. Most were extremely negative about OneCare....lots of profanity. Maybe I'm lucky my copy never installed completely. So I plan to end this frustration by smashing my disk with a hammer. It will make me feel good for a few minutes. Can you recommend a product with similar features to OneCare that actually works?

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:17 PM
  •  Toucan331 wrote:

I went to the OneCare blogsite per your recommendation. It looks like it is primarily for people who actually have got OneCare to install successfully. What really amazed me were the 30-40 comments at the end of the page. Most were extremely negative about OneCare....lots of profanity. Maybe I'm lucky my copy never installed completely. So I plan to end this frustration by smashing my disk with a hammer. It will make me feel good for a few minutes. Can you recommend a product with similar features to OneCare that actually works?

My recommendation was to contact support, not to go to the OneCare team blog site. The link in the FAQ post is there to show you the process flow for opening a support case. I personally don't care for the support flow in that it makes it particularly difficult to access support when you have an install problem and you have paid for OneCare. There used to be a web site I could send you to where a subscriber, signed in with a LiveID that is associated with a subscription, could see their support options based on locale and subscription status. That URL now redirects you back into the regular support flow where you subscription is validated before you can proceed. If your subscription can't be validated, you need to actually go back and select the option explicitly that you are a trial or beta user in order to get to the email support form.

I'm very sorry that your installation of OneCare is not starting. I'd like to recommend that you contact support per my original recommendation. However, if you wish to be done with it, some people have reported that they like Norton 360 as it offers similar features to OneCare. I never liked Norton products, but your mileage may vary, particularly after the troubles you've had with OneCare.

Rather than smashing the CD, I suggest obtaining a refund - 

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.asp Hopefully, that process won't be as painful.

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:48 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  No matter what I try it wont start at all!  I have uninstalled and reinstalled it so many times and nothing!  Is this a sign of whats to come?

Friday, December 7, 2007 3:04 AM
  • Yeah OneCare is too much trouble and the support sucks. Trying to find an e-mail address for support is hard enough, and then when you get in touch with someone they just keep giving you the same steps to follow. SO ANNOYING.

I did enjoy OneCare when I got it to work on my other PC, but now I've given up on it.

You could get Norton 360 or McAfee Total protection, but I prefer something simpler like ESET Smart Security or Kaspersky Internet Security. They don't have all the extra features like backup/defrag/cleanup etc but I use CCleaner for that kind of stuff anyway. Enjoy!
    Friday, December 7, 2007 5:47 AM
  •  

On September 21, 2007, Marcus L posted the following problem he had with WLOC, and I quote:

"Recently installed Windows Live OneCare Beta 2.0, it seemed to install ok but when I restart my computer,

OneCare does not appear. It appears in the start menu but if I try to start it I get the error

"The Windows Live OneCare service is not working or has been stopped. To correct this problem, try restarting

your computer. If the problem persists, contact support."

I have gone into services.msc and found that Windows Live OneCare service is started, as is the OneCare

Antispyware and AntiVirus service. But the OneCare Firewall service is not started and when I try to start it I get

the error

"Could not start the OneCare Firewall service on Local Computer.
    Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

Does anybody know what's happening here?" End of quote

On 12/06/2007 post (3 months after) with the same ongoing problem Toucan331 will, and I quote "I plan to end

this frustration by smashing my disk with a hammer. It will make me feel good for a few minutes" End of quote.

The MarcusL farewell to WLOC is as follows, and I quote:

"Yeah OneCare is too much trouble and the support sucks. Trying to find an e-mail address for support is hard

enough, and then when you get in touch with someone they just keep giving you the same steps to follow. SO

ANNOYING.

I did enjoy OneCare when I got it to work on my other PC, but now I've given up on it.

You could get Norton 360 or McAfee Total protection, but I prefer something simpler like ESET Smart Security

or Kaspersky Internet Security. They don't have all the extra features like backup/defrag/cleanup etc but I use

CCleaner for that kind of stuff anyway. Enjoy!" End of quote.

Two weeks ago, when the new final 2.0 version of WLOC came out I removed my 1.6 for 2.0. Sorry I did that,

for the WLOC startup bug hit my 2 PCs. Is a problem with Services > WLOC where Service status does not

stay as Started, it changes to no selection when the PC is shutdown and does not run again automatically at

startup. The Started command does not "stick". I switch to Norton Internet Security 2008, and another 10 family

computers will also be migrating to Norton if the problem persist by April 1, 2008, when my subscriptions

expire. Fix the issue and you will keep all 12.

Advise to Microsoft WLOC group: Move your behind and start a crash program to fix all remaining bugs you still

have in the Version 2.0 Beta, and I mean BETA. Please don't call this a final product. And as I requested you

people 2 years ago, ANSWER QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM, GET YOURSELF INVOLVED. WLOC is a

good product, but only because of it's complete, full compatibility with Windows, not for its fragmenter nor

backup, not because it is a complete maintenance product. Just because of its stability with Windows, AND

YOU ARE LETTING THAT ASSET BE DILUDED BY YOUR INACTION ON SIMPLE ISSUES.

Efrain Morales

Friday, December 7, 2007 5:02 PM
  • Good to see you here, Efrain. And thank you for your comments. Yes, these problems need to be fixed ASAP. I know that the OneCare team is scrambling to fix them, but I'm anxious to see some fixes, too.

I'm sorry that you've been hit with the problems, too. I've been fortunate on my systems as none have encountered these problems during the beta or with the update from 1.6, but they are very real for those that have encountered them.

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 5:18 PM
  • Hi all, after a week of no WLOC since the 2.0 upgrade on my XP laptop I finally got it to start and run properly. I had done everything stated above and more with no results until today. I found Terminal Services was turned off in Services. Set it to Automatic and Started it up and WLOC is running again. Sounds too simple but that is what did it for me. Now to get my WLOC firewall to run on my Vista desktop! Hope this helps someone else? Randy

Sunday, December 9, 2007 7:54 PM
  • My husband's laptop, the client PC to my desktop hub, was getting the Live OneCare stopped error at startup. I did Start, Run and typed services.msc in the command bar. I located Windows Live OneCare at the bottom of the list of services. I right clicked on that item, clicked on Properties, and found that the status was listed as Stopped. I clicked on Start Service, and the system proceeded to start and set up OneCare. All is somewhat well, at least with this issue.

Sunday, December 9, 2007 9:09 PM
  •  SavedOne wrote:

My husband's laptop, the client PC to my desktop hub, was getting the Live OneCare stopped error at startup. I did Start, Run and typed services.msc in the command bar. I located Windows Live OneCare at the bottom of the list of services. I right clicked on that item, clicked on Properties, and found that the status was listed as Stopped. I clicked on Start Service, and the system proceeded to start and set up OneCare. All is somewhat well, at least with this issue.

I too had the exact same error message keep coming up after my WLOC install. I did the steps in this quote here and the program started immediately. No further issues.

Seems almost too simple of a fix... wonder why that is not listed in the support/faq pages.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:41 PM
  •  i fixed my problem too by setting the "base filtering engine" to start manually after i over tweaked vista and had it turned off disabled.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2008 3:07 AM
  • Stephen, sorry this is off topic, but I can't find any other way to reach you.  I was a Windows One beta user, and correponded with you many times.  My desktop unit has now crashed, and I won't be able to access its files any more.  I was a member of your blog site, but I can't find the url for it now on this machine.  This page seems to come from that blog.  Please tell me how to get back into that site.  I have some questions I need answers for. 

Monday, March 17, 2008 6:36 PM
  • Hello, Thuse, you can email me at sboots@mvps.org - to get it past the spam filtering, use a subject line of "OneCare"

-steve

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 12:48 AM
  • I have spent days trying to get my trial version of onecare to work. It got me to remove my AVG anti virus and turn off all my firewalls. I have downloaded and used the cleaning tool and reinstalled it all again and again. The online support then said stop and start the winss,which I did,then the malware tool,then the reg' cleanup. Still the stupid thing doesn't work. I then rang the support line,which bye the way was in India,to be told to remove it and start again. This I have done for the last time and now I will use "their removal tool" to get rid of it altogether. The only thing I am glad of is I never spent good  money on the full version.People like AVG and Kaspersky have got microsoft beat when it comes to antivirus.

Microsoft,read these blogs and learn that ordinary people do not want to delve into the working of Dos to fix your problems. We just want buy it and it works,the idea of a trial version is to impress people so they will buy it.

WELL I WON'T BE ONE OF THEM.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:38 PM
  • "Turn off all my firewalls" suggests to me that you might have a third party firewall installed. If so, that might be causing the issue. If you do have a third party firewall installed you might try uninstalling it rather than disabling it before you install One Care.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:06 PM
  • ok,I'm willing to have another go,but please come up with some fresh ideas please.

when it starts up we get two red banners at the top

they say. Urgent. turn on virus and spyware monitor,when you click on it,it says"connot alter virus settings at this time"

try later or restart computer.

The second banner says, contact help centre,which I'm sick of doing,because it says the same things I've already done.

I would be glad of some help before I bin it altogether.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:32 PM
  • You might try the repair tool in this post - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1695761&SiteID=2

Additionally these Microsoft Knowledge Base articles may help - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910656/en-us  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943769/en-us

Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:51 PM
  • Nice try mate but that didn't work.

I already had all those cleaners already, but I ran them again.

I have also tried the dos imputs,but they did nothing.

The only antivirus I had was AVG and now that's gone.

The only firewall is Microsoft's own and that was turned off to install it.

The only thing left is CCcleaner and System Mechanic and I'm not removing them to install this thing.

If they can't live together,then onecare goes.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:19 PM
  • I don't believe that System Mechanic or CCleaner are an issue wit OneCare, however, I suspect that your problem is caused by requires services being set to disabled that OneCare needs to have active in order to run.

Before you give up, read this post - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523777&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:50 PM
  • CCleaner is not a problem but any of the newer versions of System Mechanic may cause issues since they contain spyware protection and block certain system configuration changes.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:56 PM
  •  JimR1 wrote:
    CCleaner is not a problem but any of the newer versions of System Mechanic may cause issues since they contain spyware protection and block certain system configuration changes.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out, JimR1. I haven't used that program, so I wasn't aware. Yes, that could be an issue.

-steve

Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Thank you for all the help you have tried to give me,but I can't sit around with no antivirus while Microsoft try to fix their own problems. As I said before, people try or buy a program presuming it will work,not spend days ironing out the problems with the software. I may try it again in a years time when when they have cured all the bugs,but for now I have put the full Zonealarm suite in. It loads,it updates and all is working fine,plus it only took 10 minutes to install.

Once again,thanks for trying.

Friday, March 21, 2008 9:01 PM
  •  jaffra wrote:

Thank you for all the help you have tried to give me,but I can't sit around with no antivirus while Microsoft try to fix their own problems. As I said before, people try or buy a program presuming it will work,not spend days ironing out the problems with the software. I may try it again in a years time when when they have cured all the bugs,but for now I have put the full Zonealarm suite in. It loads,it updates and all is working fine,plus it only took 10 minutes to install.

Once again,thanks for trying.

Thanks for trying OneCare, but, as JimR pointed out, if you are using a new version of System Mechanic, the antispyware component may well be conflicting and causing your problem.

-steve

Monday, March 24, 2008 12:26 AM