Improve the upgrade process from the 120 Day Trial Version RRS feed

• Question

•  

I was really pleased with the 120 day trial version, but when it came time to actually upgrade the system today I was required to do a reinstallation. While I didn't lose the backup files I already had, everything else was gone. I had to spend time downloading new drivers again, installing and rebooting, as well as getting my network connection back up and running.

Microsoft needs to look into a system like so many other software trial versions use where when the customer purchases the full verson, all that's required is to enter the Product Key and the software is unlocked. A server is a complex beast and it's really time consuming to have to set it up a 2nd time from scratch again. It only took me 2-3 hours but had I been able to just type in the Product Key, it would probably have been 2-3 minutes tops.

And BTW, Microsoft, please start printing the Product Key in a larger font! I had to put on my glasses to read the microscopic font that was used. Even then, I almost had to dig out a magnifying glass as a "B" looked like an "8" even with the glasses on. I spent 15 minutes retyping the Product Key, only to get an error message that I'd typed an incorrect PK.

Other than that rant, the system is back up and running smoothly and I'm a happy camper

Friday, February 8, 2008 8:29 AM

All replies

• The upgrade process from the 120 day eval is exactly the same as the process if you needed to perform a server reinstallation in the event of a problem or failure.

One of the reasons we believe Microsoft didnt include a simple key entry system into WHS for "upgrading" from the trial was because of potential software piracy (this has been covered on the forums a few times, do a search if you want to read more).

You should really keep a backup of any drivers you need regardlesss anyway, becuase if you ever need to do a server reinstallation (for whatever reason) you will need them, that way the installation process should be quicker and smoother.

Andrew

Friday, February 8, 2008 11:14 AM