none
Forum - Redirected to sign in page problem

Answers

All replies

•  Yes, there is definitely a problem with something to do with the sign in for sure. I already explained the problem in the thread dbasnett has posted a link to but will put it here too so other will see it.

For the last week or so i have noticed that after i sign in to the forum and then try to go to another Msdn link to research a Class, Method, or something else i get redirected to the sign in page. If i click the (Go Back) button on the browser and hit the link again it takes me to the link i wanted to go to.

It seems that a lot of people seem to be having the same or very similar problem too.

If you say it can`t be done then i`ll try it

• Edited by IronRazerz Tuesday, January 27, 2015 3:27 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 3:27 PM
  • I also have experienced the same thing. It also works for me on the second try.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 3:49 PM
  • I've noticed this for a few months now. This service might minimize it for you.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28177

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 12:58 AM
  • Got the same problem.

When I click any link to a MSDN page,    either I have to sign in each time   or    I have to click the link, then back and click the link again

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 1:57 AM
  • Got the same problem.

When I click any link to a MSDN page,    either I have to sign in each time   or    I have to click the link, then back and click the link again

I haven't tried click, back, click but I will.

Where is Microsoft?  Do they use this forum?  Do they have the problem?

'Those who use Application.DoEvents() have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it.'  JohnWein

Multics

My Serial Port Answer

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 12:46 PM
  • Where is Microsoft?  Do they use this forum?  Do they have the problem?

'Those who use Application.DoEvents() have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it.'  JohnWein

Multics

My Serial Port Answer

I don`t know if that is suppose to be just a little bit of a jab or not but, after emailing fissues before i started the thread on the VB.Net forum, i was told that they could not reproduce the problem.

Hmmm... i don`t know how that can be when everyone else seems to have the problem without even trying to reproduce it. Apparently they don`t sign in and try clicking Msdn links very much.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 1:03 PM
  • Where is Microsoft?  Do they use this forum?  Do they have the problem?

Multics

My Serial Port Answer

I don`t know if that is suppose to be just a little bit of a jab or not but, after emailing fissues before i started the thread on the VB.Net forum, i was told that they could not reproduce the problem.

Hmmm... i don`t know how that can be when everyone else seems to have the problem without even trying to reproduce it. Apparently they don`t sign in and try clicking Msdn links very much.

Did you report this somewhere or just email?  I am still having the problem.

Multics

My Serial Port Answer

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 8:47 PM
  • Just trying to access the page for Integer.TryParse does it.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f02979c7(v=vs.110).aspx

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:14 PM
  • For some time now (few months) most KB links have ?wa=wsignin1.0 appended or inserted to URL

Also note the message presented Because you're accessing sensitive info, you need to verify your password. So I don't think anything is broken.

wsignin1.0 Request Message

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 1:15 AM
  • For some time now (few months) most KB links have ?wa=wsignin1.0 appended or inserted to URL

Also note the message presented Because you're accessing sensitive info, you need to verify your password. So I don't think anything is broken.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

It isn't having to sign in that is bothersome, that has always been the case.  It is having to do it ten or twenty times, instead of once or twice, a day that is. 

Multics

My Serial Port Answer

Thursday, January 29, 2015 12:56 PM
  • It isn't having to sign in that is bothersome, that has always been the case.  It is having to do it ten or twenty times, instead of once or twice, a day that is. 

Multics

My Serial Port Answer

This service might minimize it for you.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28177

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, January 29, 2015 2:35 PM
  • The truth is that the information is not sensitive, and you do not need to be signed in to view it. You do not even need a LiveID to view the pages. I can view the pages fine without being signed in. But when I click on a link in Microsoft search results, I often am asked to sign in, even though I am already authenticated with my LiveID. I must go back and click the link again. I can view the page on the second attempt. I am not sure what triggers this, but it happens to me many times per day, since I am researching information or testing links on Wiki pages.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 6:25 PM
  • @ dbasnett

Sorry for the delay, i got tied up in a few threads yesterday trying to help and never checked this thread.

I emailed fissues@microsoft.com. That is where i was told to report problems with the forums. Is there somewhere else that i should be sending things like this?

I am still having the problem too.

Friday, January 30, 2015 12:33 PM

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

As Richard and i have mentioned, it does not happen if you are not signed in. The msdn pages on the programming Classes, Methods, Properties, and Events are not classified as sensitive information, anyone is allowed to view them at any time.

That would be like Google asking you to sign in every time you want to do a search.

Besides that, if you just click the (Go Back) button on the browser and click the link again, it goes right to the page you wanted to see without signing in so, there is most definitely something broken and screwed up.

• Edited by IronRazerz Friday, January 30, 2015 1:00 PM
    Friday, January 30, 2015 12:58 PM
  • I don't think it is a forums issue. Its more an issue/feature with www.microsoft.com so you might try providing feedback on the pages you're presented with logon prompt.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, January 30, 2015 5:12 PM
  • I don't think it is a forums issue. Its more an issue/feature with www.microsoft.com so you might try providing feedback on the pages you're presented with logon prompt.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Hi Dave,

That would be one HUGE list of pages. It happens on about 6 or 7 out of 10 pages on my end and those other 3 or 4 that it does not happen on right now, will do it to me later. It happens randomly but, more times than not it happens.

Where on that page do i report this? I see the Support tab but, that looks like it might be for Software or Hardware Technical Support.

I`ll let them know that every page does it randomly.   8)

Friday, January 30, 2015 9:22 PM
  • It probably varies by page but maybe try them here.

https://support2.microsoft.com/contactus/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1539

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, January 30, 2015 10:52 PM
  • Thanks Dave.   8)

Friday, January 30, 2015 11:28 PM
  •  Alright, i have filed a report to them too. Hopefully with some luck between people seeing the two threads about this plus having several people email fissues and filing a report there too, it will get resolved soon. Hopefully that is. Thanks again Dave.  

Saturday, January 31, 2015 12:25 AM
  • @ Everyone,

I have received a reply back from the new report that i filed at the link provided by Dave. They nicely replied that, that is not the correct place to file a complaint like this and suggested to contact the Msdn Support Group. I was given this contact information for them. I will try to call today sometime and if not i will try it Monday. Feel free to do this yourselves too.  8)

"Please contact our MSDN Support Group at 1-800-936-5700. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM Saturday: 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM."

Saturday, January 31, 2015 6:37 PM
  • Any updates? I'm experiencing this problem too.
    Tuesday, February 3, 2015 12:50 PM
  • I am getting the same problem :( Quite often when I just want to read MSDN documentation I am getting a prompt about accessing sensitive info and have to sign it. Why do I need to sign in to access documentation?

Thanks in advance.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 4:15 PM
  • getting a prompt about accessing sensitive info and have to sign it.

That was worst for me in November after Surface Support made me change my Language Preference from EN-US (only) to EN-CA (only).  I had to stop using Microsoft Search as my preferred Search Provider because every time I tried to use it I would get that obnoxious absurd prompt AND then get redirected inappropriately.  Since then I compromised by putting EN-US first.  I still get it but less often. I'm not really sure what the circumstances are which cause it but it does happen often enough to make me think about reducing the strength of my password, which surely would not be one of the objectives of this thing?

BTW coincidentally this week I became aware of ETW tracing for diagnosing all kinds of things.  Perhaps we could find something useful for understanding this one that way?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ntdebugging/archive/2009/09/08/exploring-and-decoding-etw-providers-using-event-log-channels.aspx 

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 6:07 PM
  • I guess that nobody is monitoring this forum at Microsoft.

Since no one posted "We are looking at this" or "We cant reproduce the problem" or "This is not a forum issue" or anything else

So, there is an issue with the Forum Issues forum

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 6:16 PM
  • This is definitely a bug. No one should be required to authenticate to open the pages. I personally never enter my credentials, but fortunately the page always opens after I back out and click the link a second time.

However, the response from fissues is correct, it is not a forums issue. The same thing happens whether you click on a link in a forums post, in a TechNet Wiki, or in Microsoft search results. It probably can happen no matter where the link is located. As such, I guess it is a Microsoft site problem, whenever you open any Microsoft documentation. Even the phone number for MSDN support will probably not be of help, as it is not just MSDN that has the problem. I have no idea how we contact anyone that would be able to help.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 8:46 PM
  • Agreed to all that Richard. It is not a forums issue but instead a www.microsoft.com issue. I got the same sort of response from them to either post on Microsoft answers or call msdn / TechNet phone numbers which I have not done.

I get the same; second-attempt-it-works effect. I also get the same sort of thing at answers.microsoft.com except it reports something similar to "something went wrong and we cannot sign you in right now" but second attempt always works.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 2:51 AM
  • This is definitely a bug. No one should be required to authenticate to open the pages. I personally never enter my credentials, but fortunately the page always opens after I back out and click the link a second time.

However, the response from fissues is correct, it is not a forums issue. The same thing happens whether you click on a link in a forums post, in a TechNet Wiki, or in Microsoft search results. It probably can happen no matter where the link is located. As such, I guess it is a Microsoft site problem, whenever you open any Microsoft documentation. Even the phone number for MSDN support will probably not be of help, as it is not just MSDN that has the problem. I have no idea how we contact anyone that would be able to help.

I am really not sure it is a Microsoft problem.

Regardless of where the link you click is, it is the server reached that ask for for the "Sign-in". When accessing the Dev Center / MSDN it is that server that do the attempt.

There are several Microsoft sites that require to be signed in to be accessed that works with no problem. The problem always appears when accessing a server from Dev Center / MSDN.

Therefore the problem may very well be from the Dev Center / MSDN servers

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 12:49 PM
  • Agreed to all that Richard. It is not a forums issue but instead a www.microsoft.com issue. I got the same sort of response from them to either post on Microsoft answers or call msdn / TechNet phone numbers which I have not done.

I get the same; second-attempt-it-works effect. I also get the same sort of thing at answers.microsoft.com except it reports something similar to "something went wrong and we cannot sign you in right now" but second attempt always works.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

It does appear to be related to MSDN and I also am able to use the second attempt method successfully.

Multics

My Serial Port Answer

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 12:55 PM
  • I get the same; second-attempt-it-works effect.

One possibility then would be, instead of retrying with your current login, switch to a different account with less privileges associated with it.  E.g. in IE use New session to try to preserve both logins (Alt-F i).  That would be potentially useful for finding documentation that the general public could find accessible without being signed in too.

Otherwise I wonder if the message is just misleading and they are just trying to check who you are and where.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 3:25 PM
  • I also have the problem on TechNet articles, so it is not just MSDN. And none of the information is any way sensitive.

Edit: Plus, I think you are only asked to login if you are already authenticated with LiveID, perhaps on another window. I believe if you start over and never authenticate, then you are not prompted to login (although I've only tried this once or twice).

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 5:25 PM
  • I also have the problem on TechNet articles, so it is not just MSDN. And none of the information is any way sensitive.

Edit: Plus, I think you are only asked to login if you are already authenticated with LiveID, perhaps on another window. I believe if you start over and never authenticate, then you are not prompted to login (although I've only tried this once or twice).

It is my understanding that MS is not acknowledging this as a problem.  Any ideas on how to get this fixed?  I am going to try logging out to see if I have the issue.

Multics

My Serial Port Answer

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 7:07 PM
  • I'll try using the second attempt next time it happens. Normally I always complied and used my email and password even if I don't like it.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 7:37 PM
  • I use Google Chrome. I have 3 MSDN windows always opened (my activity page, forum's page) and quite often I use Google to search for some technical info. When I try to access search results, this is when I get that prompt.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 7:39 PM
  • I also have several pages open. I think that actually causes the problem, because you are authenticated on the other pages. I need to experiment again to verify that I am not prompted if I have not yet logged on.

Edit: Yep, I just signed out, closed IE and restarted. I then tried about a dozen links, both TechNet and MSDN. I was never prompted to login.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 8:18 PM

• It is my understanding that MS is not acknowledging this as a problem. 

I think it's about getting the right people involved. Since it is not a forums issue I'm guessing forums admins will likely not reply.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, February 5, 2015 1:47 AM
  • Otherwise I wonder if the message is just misleading and they are just trying to check who you are and where.

I think it is something along that line. They may be testing / debugging something authentication-wise.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, February 5, 2015 1:50 AM
  • Sign-in assistant does not work for me. I keep getting asked to authenticate.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Thursday, February 5, 2015 5:15 PM
  • Just trying to access the page for Integer.TryParse does it.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f02979c7(v=vs.110).aspx

I was also able to reproduce this by simply navigating to the url given above. (The Integer.TryParse documentation page).

Navigating a second time (without entering credentials) did provide a one-time fix in that it didn't ask me to sign in again the second time.  But the issue comes back much later (not sure what causes the sign-in to reappear.)

I'm using Google Chrome (40.0.2214.94 m) on Windows 7 at the moment.

This is an annoying bug for sure! :(

• Edited by Wyck Thursday, February 5, 2015 5:59 PM
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 5:58 PM
  • Navigating a second time (without entering credentials) did provide a one-time fix in that it didn't ask me to sign in again the second time.

My File, New session workaround for IE worked!  (Alt-F i)

Unfortunately I didn't think to try it without first getting the cursed prompt in a tab for the current session.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, February 5, 2015 11:27 PM
  • I guess that nobody is monitoring this forum at Microsoft.

Since no one posted "We are looking at this" or "We cant reproduce the problem" or "This is not a forum issue" or anything else

So, there is an issue with the Forum Issues forum

We do monitor, yes. If there's anything to add to the Moderators, we add it. We also answer other threads that the moderators haven't gotten to. We work together as a team.

Also, this forum is for submitting the feedback, which it was. Several teams have gotten this feedback.

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, February 9, 2015 8:09 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you very much ...

Hopefully it will make its way to the right team .. This gets really annoying after a while 

Monday, February 9, 2015 8:15 PM
  • Tuesday, February 17, 2015 6:18 PM
  • Seems some changes may have been made as I now need to logon to each new session I open with forums.

Also stumbled onto this status page.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/status/

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, February 20, 2015 5:04 PM
  • I don't recall experiencing this problem in at least several days. I just tested several links that caused the problem in the past (only if I was already authenticated), but I was able to view the pages no problem.

Has anyone experienced the problem recently? Has it been fixed?

Monday, February 23, 2015 6:20 PM
  • I haven't run into this recently either.

I'm cautiously hopeful that this has been resolved.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,225+ strong and growing)

Monday, February 23, 2015 6:28 PM
  • Yes, I have run in to it a few time. The difference now is the back-button trick no longer works. You actually have to logon to see the article or whatever.

It might have been this one was the recent change in functionality.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/status/archive/2015/02/09/issues-with-msdn-sign-in.aspx

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 1:15 AM