Upgrade to vista wont validate RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have Windows Xp Home installed on my laptop, the CD with the Xp Home is the System Restore CD, under my laptop is the product sticker and when I try to upgrade my machine to Vista it asks me to: "Type your product key for validation", I assume it means the product key under my laptop, but every time I type that key in it says: "Your product key cannot be validated. Review your product key and make sure that you have entered it correctly". I know I can read and I typed the key in correctly but it won't accept it. Any ideas?? Also it is the RC1 Vista
    Wednesday, October 25, 2006 1:22 AM

Answers

• The retail version of Windows Vista will become available on January 30, 2007.
    Tuesday, November 28, 2006 1:01 PM

All replies

• You need to obtain a valid Vista Product Key from the source where you obtained Vista RC1.
    Wednesday, October 25, 2006 1:30 AM
  • oh ok thx, I was given this link by a friend: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc1/en/download.htm so it didnt ask me to sign in and therefore I never got a key. can i install vista on another partition while still having xp home installed?

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 1:39 AM
  • Yes.
    Wednesday, October 25, 2006 1:52 AM
  • Cool, so do I need to burn it to a dvd and boot it from that? Or can I install it while windows is running? Also one last qs, sorry for all these qs, while i'm here I want to know everything before doing anything, if I want to install Vista on my computer as well should I create a new account and get a new product key?
    Wednesday, October 25, 2006 1:54 AM
  • I never saw any entry where you can get a VISTA product key.

Where would it be? I looked in the folder where I downloaded the file and I cannot locate. I didn't see anywhere on any screens either.

*Edit*

Never mind. I went through the screens again.

I have to check my e-mail. oops.

Tuesday, November 7, 2006 6:21 AM
  • when you go to the validation screen under vista, there is an option to call microsoft.  you can use that to get a key that works.
    Thursday, November 9, 2006 1:10 AM
  • need vista to my computer
    Tuesday, November 28, 2006 7:21 AM
  • The retail version of Windows Vista will become available on January 30, 2007.
    Tuesday, November 28, 2006 1:01 PM