View in CRM / View Regarding not working anymore RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks, all of a sudden I cannot "View in CRM" or "View Regarding" anymore from my Outlook client. No configuration or activity has taken place recently on the system. I have IE8 (had it for some time) and all I get now when I click on those buttons is a blank page pointing to https://<myserver>/_root/stage.aspx. I've rebooted my client, cleared the IE cache, nothing. Any suggestion would be appreciated, thank you!

PS: I have rollup 4 on both the client and the server.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:01 PM

Answers

• Ok, let's run the Outlook Client diagnostics from Programs/Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0.  When you open the diag tool, select support mode, and then select the Advanced Troubleshooting tab, Delete the Temporary files, enable tracing and re-create the error.  Let's see what you receive in the trace logs.

You can also select the Run Diagnostics before you perform the above and see if that returns any information you can use.
    Best Regards, Donna

Damn, I was so desperate that I did something stupid: I installed rollup 5 and the problem went away. However now I'm pissed because I don't know way it was doing that. However I did not know that you could enable tracing from the Diagnostic tool, that was brilliant. I have no idea where the trace files get created though, would you happen to know?
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 10:56 PM

All replies

• Update: it looks like when I click on those buttons (or properly some time later, i.e. when I close the e-mail) the CRM Host Process dies, and the CRM toolbar gets grayed out.

I really would like to enable tracing, but I don't seem to make it working. I run Windows 7 and the standard tracing settings:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRMClient]
    "TraceCategories"="*:*"
    "TraceEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "TraceDirectory"="C:\\tmp"
    "TraceRefresh"=dword:00000001
    "TraceCallStack"=dword:00000001
    "TraceFileSizeLimit"=dword:00000001

Do not seem to generate any trace file, either in the specified directory or anywhere in the users directory. Being Windows 7 (or Vista for what matters) I don't have a Document & Settings directory, or better: I do but it's locked. So the supposedly default path "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\MSCRM\Traces" does not apply.

Anyone knows how to enable tracing in Windows 7 or Vista and where are the files actually created?
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Did you try running the CRM Outlook Client configuration wizard again?
    Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 11:50 PM
  • Did you try running the CRM Outlook Client configuration wizard again?
    Best Regards, Donna

Hi Donna, I just tried. No gain. This is maddening...
    Friday, July 10, 2009 8:26 PM
  • Ok, let's run the Outlook Client diagnostics from Programs/Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0.  When you open the diag tool, select support mode, and then select the Advanced Troubleshooting tab, Delete the Temporary files, enable tracing and re-create the error.  Let's see what you receive in the trace logs.

You can also select the Run Diagnostics before you perform the above and see if that returns any information you can use.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Friday, July 10, 2009 9:20 PM

Best Regards, Donna

Damn, I was so desperate that I did something stupid: I installed rollup 5 and the problem went away. However now I'm pissed because I don't know way it was doing that. However I did not know that you could enable tracing from the Diagnostic tool, that was brilliant. I have no idea where the trace files get created though, would you happen to know?
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 10:56 PM
  • Well, I am glad it is working.  I don't recall from memory where those logs are saved, but you could run a search on .log files created today and you should find them.  Have a good week.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Monday, July 13, 2009 12:45 AM