Restore issue with RC1 RRS feed

• Question

• After backing up one of my PC's I  went to view backups, details, open, to see the results of the backup.

While the backup is opening, a small dialog near the bottom right of the console opens up and says restoring to (my PC name). the dialog goes from 0 to 100% as the backup is opening, giving me the impression that all files are being restored to my PC.

It seems a bit too quick to restore my complete hard drive, just what is going on here? This could be a problem, as it could restore older files over newer ones eh? It this just a bug?

Monday, June 25, 2007 4:48 AM

Answers

• When you open a backup, a window should appear on your home computer showing the the backup files on the Z: drive. Are you not seeing this?

The console shows a restore operation happening, because essentially that is what is happening from the server point of view, but it is restoring to the Z: drive in this case. Once the Z: drive window is open, you can selectively drag and drop any file or folder to your home computer.

Monday, June 25, 2007 3:52 PM

All replies

• When you open a backup, a window should appear on your home computer showing the the backup files on the Z: drive. Are you not seeing this?

The console shows a restore operation happening, because essentially that is what is happening from the server point of view, but it is restoring to the Z: drive in this case. Once the Z: drive window is open, you can selectively drag and drop any file or folder to your home computer.

Monday, June 25, 2007 3:52 PM
  • Doc,

Thank you for the explanation, that is exactly what is happening.

Upon further examination, another related issue has come up. I have a client machine that has several partitions on the physical drive. I chose the machine from the backup server console, open the details view, then open the G: partition. The process begins, then at about 88% a dialog window pops up from the system tray on the client that says new hardware hs been instaled, would you like to restart system now? 

I decline to restart, and the proocess continues for a bit longer then a dialog pops up that says "cannot connect to the backup service on the server. Verify that all services are running"

I have been able to open backups from a different client that only has a single partition on the physical drive without this problem.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:04 PM
  • I seem to be having the same problem.

"cannot connect to the backup service on the server. Verify that all services are running"

Now my WHS console icon has gone RED, saying "Backup Database Error/Problem"

Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:15 PM