Departments RRS feed

• Question

• I created a new PWA instance. This has a number of predefined fields and lookup tables.
    There is a system lookup table "Departments". I created several values, one of wihch was "Sample". I applied this to the "Sample" enterprise project fields (I did not want these field in my EPT).
    This was fine except I could not do it for "Project Departments" field. Is this a "special" field?  Can I delete this field?
    If I define another field which uses the Department lookup I can set a department value for this field.

At the task level I can set a department value for "Flag Status" but not for "Health".

All seems a little confusing - is there a detailed discussion concerning use of Department attribute for enetrprise fields?

rgds

Mike
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:16 PM

Answers

• The OOB Project Department custom field which is based on the Departments lookup table is a project-level field. It is not intended to be populated at the task level. You can create Task CFs as you seem fit.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:43 PM

All replies

• The OOB Project Department custom field which is based on the Departments lookup table is a project-level field. It is not intended to be populated at the task level. You can create Task CFs as you seem fit.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:43 PM
  • in addition there are more details about Department in the Project 2010 Ignite deck - Administration: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff358349(office.14).aspx
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:06 PM
  • I understand the concept of Department and that it functions at the project level.
    i.e. Project level fields now have another piece of matadata "Department". which limits each fields scope to Projects associated with that department
    I am assuming this metadata is referencing a lookup table, called Department (and not a field)

There seems to be some inconsistency around the pre-defined fields - some have Department meta data enabled and some don't.  In the Beta demo compare "Project Department" with "Project Departments" - the latter is a predefined field which is there when you create a new PWA instance.

When you create a task field you see the same inconsistency.  Assigning a department value to a task does have an effect in the plan - the field is not available in the plan!

I assume these issues are related to Beta software.

rgds

Mike
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 10:13 AM
  • Yes again check out the deck I referenced above. Yes the demo contains test data that will need cleanup. If you provision a new PWA instance you will see the out of the box field only (2 custom field one for resources and one for projects, an a single lookup table that contains the department list).
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:29 PM
  • Hi Chris

I have looked at the deck but possibly not in the right place. I have the demo vm.  I have created a new PWA instance and I see the two fields you describe plus a bunch of others which presumably are there to support the "Sample" workflow project types, as well as the usual miscellaneous health, cost type, etc  and a new one "Flag Status", anyway a lot more than 2.

However I suppose the implicit question above was; are certain fields "system" fields with specific or different behaviour from user created fields, to which I guess you have said yes.

Thanks

Mike
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:30 PM
  • All other fields are related to the Sample Proposal Workflow that is in the product by default (check out the Ignite Demand Management deck for more info). There are only two custom fields that relate to departments.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 1:01 AM
  • All other fields are related to the Sample Proposal Workflow that is in the product by default (check out the Ignite Demand Management deck for more info). There are only two custom fields that relate to departments.

Thanks for your explanation! It's helpful to me, It's quite useful.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 12:21 AM