none
Edited Page Too Many Times and Got Marked As Spam

Question

• Hi,

I just attempted to post the following question, but I edited it too many times, and my message got marked as spam. Could someone please validate my original message and publish it in the Office 365 for Developers forum?

Thank you.

[Full disclosure - I posted this question earlier on Stack Overflow, and I thought that this forum would provide additional insights around what may have changed with Office 365. You can find that post at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41747717/install-ms-access-dao-primary-interop-assembly-for-use-with-powershell-script ]

I am trying to automate Microsoft Access 2016 with PowerShell, but I appear to be missing an Office Primary Interop Assembly called Microsoft.Office.Interop.Access.Dao. I've tried a few approaches in PowerShell, and these are the errors that I get:

PS > $app.Application.OpenCurrentDatabase()
    The following exception occurred while retrieving member "Application": "Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Access.Dao, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."
    At line:1 char:1
    + $app.Application.OpenCurrentDatabase()
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], ExtendedTypeSystemException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CatchFromBaseGetMember

PS > Add-Type -Assembly "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Access.Dao"
    Add-Type : Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Access.Dao, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    + Add-Type -Assembly "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Access.Dao"
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Add-Type], FileNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IO.FileNotFoundException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.AddTypeCommand
    Please note the difference in version (15.0.0.0 vs 12.0.0.0).

The only version of Office that I have installed on this machine is Office 2016 via Office 365 download. I have run gacutil /l from a Visual Studio Command Prompt, and I see that the other Office PIAs, version 15.0.0.0, are installed.

According to the NuGet Web site at https://www.nuget.org/packages/Microsoft.Office.Interop.Access.Dao/15.0.4420.1017, I could download the assembly via NuGet Package Manager Console, if I were working on a Visual Studio Solution, but I cannot install the assembly with PowerShell:

PS > Install-Package Microsoft.Office.Interop.Access.Dao
    Install-Package : No match was found for the specified search criteria and package name 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Access.Dao'. Try Get-PackageSource to see all available registered package sources.
    + Install-Package Microsoft.Office.Interop.Access.Dao
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Microsoft.Power....InstallPackage:InstallPackage) [Install-Package], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoMatchFoundForCriteria,Microsoft.PowerShell.PackageManagement.Cmdlets.InstallPackage
    My questions are:

How can I install Microsoft.Office.Interop.Access.Dao to the GAC so I can reference it in PowerShell scripts?
    If nuget.org is listed as a PackageSource in PowerShell, why can't I use the Install-Packagecommand to install this assembly?
    Why did this assembly not get installed with Office 2016/365?
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:01 PM

Answers

• My "question" is actually a request to remove the spam classification from my original post, per Microsoft's direction. Could someone please verify that this is the process and advise me on what needs to happen to clear the spam flag from my original post?

I'd send an email to fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com They will investigate and or correct the issue.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, January 23, 2017 4:49 PM
  • Several people have now posted in this forum with a similar story - their question was flagged as spam and deleted, and they were directed to this forum for resolution. I have emailed fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com for information about this new process, and how we should deal with these situations.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:10 PM

All replies

• I don't believe editing a post many times causes it to get flagged abusive.

Is this your post:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2c2f3777-fb1f-4e01-aea3-cbbf34d2804b/install-ms-access-dao-primary-interop-assembly-for-use-with-powershell-script?forum=Office365forDevelopers

It looks OK, but I am not a moderator there.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 9:09 PM
  • @Richard Mueller:

Yes, that is my post. I edited the post about half a dozen times, and on the 5th or 6th time, the forum displayed a message that my post had been marked as spam and that I should post in this forum.

Also to be precise, it said "spam" and not "abusive".

@Dave Patrick

Respectfully, @Richard Mueller's initial reply - that he doesn't believe editing the post can get it flagged as abusive - is not the answer to my question. You may want to verify that Microsoft has implemented this process by which they flag posts and ask users to appeal spam through a post to this forum. The instructions from MS when my post was flagged were very clear.

Maybe try to reply to this thread and try to edit your reply ~6+ times?

My "question" is actually a request to remove the spam classification from my original post, per Microsoft's direction. Could someone please verify that this is the process and advise me on what needs to happen to clear the spam flag from my original post?

Monday, January 23, 2017 4:43 PM
  • My "question" is actually a request to remove the spam classification from my original post, per Microsoft's direction. Could someone please verify that this is the process and advise me on what needs to happen to clear the spam flag from my original post?

I'd send an email to fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com They will investigate and or correct the issue.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, January 23, 2017 4:49 PM
  • Several people have now posted in this forum with a similar story - their question was flagged as spam and deleted, and they were directed to this forum for resolution. I have emailed fissues [at] microsoft [dot] com for information about this new process, and how we should deal with these situations.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:10 PM
  • I emailed fissues asking the forum admins to look into 3 cases (including this one) where users were warned that their post was flagged as spam and they were directed to this forum. I asked if there was a new process and how the moderators in this forum  should handle the situations.

fissues replied that there is no change in the process, but they cleared the abusive flags. The posts now appear.

This still does not explain why users are informed immediately that their post is flagged as spam, and then are directed here. The moderators here can not remove the abusive flag, unless we happen to also be moderators in the forum where the user posted. All we can do is direct the users to email fissues.

I suspect that the contractors in charge of the forum code, or the Microsoft people directing them, modified the auto spam filter in an attempt to improve the process. I don't know if the process is to handle spam or new users that may need verification. I plan to investigate further.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 1:44 AM