Can't start OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• All of the sudden, my windows live one care comes up with: "Windows Live OneCare has encountered a problem, and needs to close"

I have went into DOS, and ran the command in the other threads, that ends with the "net stop winss" and "net start winss". I have downloaded the boot fix, and it gets the same error, as well as the malware fix.  I have even gone so far as to uninstall and reinstall OneCare, to no avail.  I have not installed anything new on my computer, nor has anything changed in my home network or firewall.  What do I do?

Sunday, April 6, 2008 12:01 AM

Answers

• Red OneCare system tray icon and error:

"OneCare has encountered a problem and might not be protecting this PC"

Check the date and time on your PC. If it is incorrect, the problem you encountered could happen.

If the date and time are accurate, the permissions on the OneCare folder may need to be reset by using the following steps

1. Click Start->Run->Type “CMD(In Vista, type cmd in the search box, but don't hit enter and then right click command.exe and select and “Run as Administrator”)
    2. Type    CACLS "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live" /t /g administrators:f
    3. Type “Y” when prompted.
    4. Restart the machine

If this doesn't help - please contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Sunday, April 6, 2008 1:53 PM

All replies

• Red OneCare system tray icon and error:

"OneCare has encountered a problem and might not be protecting this PC"

Check the date and time on your PC. If it is incorrect, the problem you encountered could happen.

If the date and time are accurate, the permissions on the OneCare folder may need to be reset by using the following steps

1. Click Start->Run->Type “CMD(In Vista, type cmd in the search box, but don't hit enter and then right click command.exe and select and “Run as Administrator”)
    2. Type    CACLS "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live" /t /g administrators:f
    3. Type “Y” when prompted.
    4. Restart the machine

If this doesn't help - please contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Sunday, April 6, 2008 1:53 PM
  • I have done all this before.  It does not help.  On the link provided, it says "inside One Care click on...."   I can't even get into OneCare to do this...
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 2:12 PM
  • From the FAQ for how to reach support:

<snip>

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2

You can also click the link above to start the support flow directly if OneCare cannot start or if you are at a PC where OneCare is not installed.

If you click on "get more help" in the lower right and then "Get support", you will be brought to a page where you will be able to select Billing Support or Technical Support and be walked through a wizard that requires you to log in with your LiveID and will attempt to validate your subscription if you select that the problem is on "this computer."

This allows the system to provide you with access to email, chat or phone support information , depending on your subscription status. If you are a trial user, you will only have access to email support and should select that option during the flow.

-----------------------------------------

<snip>

To open an email support case without validation:

• Open OneCare
    • Click on Help
    • Click "Windows Live OneCare Help"
    • In the window that opens, click "Show me more topics"

<added> Since you can't open OneCare, use the link above to get to the Instant Support page, or start at http://onecare.live.com and select Help Center and then click on the button to launch Instant Support.

• In the browser window that opens, click "Get More Help" in the lower right hand corner
    • Click "Get Support"
    • Select "Billing Support" or "Technical Support"
    • Select "No. This is a new issue"
    • Select "on a different computer"
    • Click Continue
    • Select "I have a trial/beta version of OneCare"
    • Click Continue
    • Sign in with your LiveID
    • Fill in the form with as much detail as possible and click continue
    • Make a note of the Case ID
    • You will typically receive a response within 24 hours, but it may be longer on weekend and holidays or periods of high volume.
    • Be sure to check your Junk Mail folders for the support response when checking your email and insure that you are not automatically deleting mail from unknown senders.
    Monday, April 7, 2008 4:30 PM