new pci-e sata controller RRS feed

• Question

• I plan to buy a new fast pci-e sata controller since my other 3 ones (all of them pci) are rather slow.
    I am currently running 13 hard drives (7 on mainboard and the rest 6 on the abovementioned controllers).
    After physically installing the add-on card (controller) and probably if it isn't recognised adding the drivers, should I attach any hard drives beforehand?
    Or should I keep my old ones on until I am able to attach them to the new controller properly?
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 2:11 PM

All replies

• I plan to buy a new fast pci-e sata controller since my other 3 ones (all of them pci) are rather slow.
    I am currently running 13 hard drives (7 on mainboard and the rest 6 on the abovementioned controllers).
    After physically installing the add-on card (controller) and probably if it isn't recognised adding the drivers, should I attach any hard drives beforehand?
    Or should I keep my old ones on until I am able to attach them to the new controller properly?
    I would get the controller card up and running first, then reboot the server, then shut down the server (yes, I would do both, just to make sure the card is still functioning after the reboot), then connect the drives, then turn the server back on.  Having said all of that, I'm not sure replacing your controller is going to help much.  Usually the real bottleneck is the network.  What speed is your local network set up for (100 Mb or 1 Gb)?  When you copy files to/from your server, what speeds do you typically get?
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 3:40 PM
  • all of my pc's, network switch, server are 1gb.
    Copying large files around ~10mb/s.
    I am mainly interested in streaming video files to my HTPC.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 4:31 PM
  • all of my pc's, network switch, server are 1gb.
    Copying large files around ~10mb/s.
    I am mainly interested in streaming video files to my HTPC.
    That's about the speed I get and my LAN is only 100 Mb/s and I am able to stream video (including 720p HD files) to my XBox wirelessly (802.11g, which is 54 Mb/s max) without any issues.  (I can even stream 1080p videos on some occasions through wireless, although that is not 100% of the time.)

In any event, I don't think upgrading your controller card is going to get you much (if any) benefit.  My suggestion would be to try streaming videos with what you have first.  If it works, leave it alone.  :)  If not, then start investigating what might be causing it.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 8:02 PM
  • Can you login to the server desktop and check, if the network adapter is really connected with 1 GBit connection? Windows Server 2003 does a quality check of the connection, and if the quality is not sufficient, it will degrade the connection speed.
    That would explain the slow speed.
    All PCs and the server are connected to a switch and not eventually directly to the router (which may have a lower speed connection)?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 16, 2009 10:29 AM
  • Server's net adapter is connected with 1 Gbit connection.
    The router is 100 Mbps, that's why I am using the switch.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:16 AM
  • It shows this speed also in Control Panel/Network Connections/Local Area Connection on the General tab in the Speed line?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:48 PM
  • Sorry for the delayed answer, I've been away.
    yes, it does.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 10:06 AM