Product Key RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi there,

Please please help me, I have a windows Xp home edition CD and I have reinstalled it into my computer but when it asked for the Product key I placed it in but then it said that the product key is invalid.

Because I could'nt find the product key, i went into unattend.txt from the CD now it sayz its invalid. How can i solve this please. My computer currently has no Operating System please help?

Any help please??

Ben

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:30 AM

Answers

• Benedito,

Please tell me more about your Windows XP Home CD. Where was it purchased? What type of computer do you currently have: commercial or custom built system? If you have a commercially built computer you should have received the reinstallation software media with the system. Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and paste the results back in this same thread. The MGA results will allow us to analyze what you are experiencing so we may provide you with a resolution. Please follow the pinned article I previously wrote located here:  http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2170194&SiteID=25

Take care and we will await for your results.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:39 AM
  • Supermark,

No problem :-).  I just wanted to share with you how we provide support for our customers. Feel free to look around and I am sure you will see some great threads MVPs, visitors and our staff provide attempting to resolve everyone's concerns. 

Take care Supermark and I hope you have a wonderful weekend

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, July 18, 2008 8:05 PM
  • Benedito626,

Sounds like you are trying to install XP using a retail CD and the OEM Product Key on the computer's Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).

The Product Key algorithm that generates PKs for retail licenses of XP is different from the one that generates PKs for OEM licenses, so PKs for retail CDs won't work to install OEM CDs and vice versa.

In order to use the PK that is on the CoA affixed to the HP 6701 computer, you will have to use either the HP Recovery solution provided with the computer when purchased new, or contact HP to order a replacement recovery CD, or use a genuine hologrammed systembuilder/OEM CD.  If you use the systembuilder/OEM CD, you will have to do a telephonic activation, but that takes less than 7 minutes.

Monday, July 21, 2008 2:30 PM

All replies

• Benedito,

Please tell me more about your Windows XP Home CD. Where was it purchased? What type of computer do you currently have: commercial or custom built system? If you have a commercially built computer you should have received the reinstallation software media with the system. Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and paste the results back in this same thread. The MGA results will allow us to analyze what you are experiencing so we may provide you with a resolution. Please follow the pinned article I previously wrote located here:  http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2170194&SiteID=25

Take care and we will await for your results.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:39 AM
  • I am installing it on a HP 6701, the CD Part number is X08-33941 Version 2002 - The XP CD was purchased at *** Smith Electronic.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:39 AM
  • Benedito,

Honestly I need for you to please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool. Please reference my previous post containing the hyperlink. Here you will find very detailed instructions for running the Tool then posting the results back in this very same thread. Unfortunately without you providing me with these results I will not be able to provide you with assistance. The results of the MGA Diag will allow me to analyze what you are experiencing on your physical computer. 

Will you be willing to run the test and provid me with your results here in the forum?

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 6:16 AM
  • If its a hp product you can try to check for a Microsoft Product Key on a hologram sticker attached to your CPU, or if you bought your windows xp cd separately to a store try to visit this site http://howtotell.com .  

Friday, July 18, 2008 1:07 AM
  • Supermark,

Thank you for providing assistance. First we need our customers to run the MGA Diagnostic Tool. Next we provide them with detailed directions for posting the results back in their original thread. This allows our team to physically analyze what the Customer is actually experiencing. Next we provide them with guidance. How to Tell is just one form of guidance. 

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA and OGA Forum Managers

Friday, July 18, 2008 2:04 AM
  • I do apologize for that sir, dont worry i will do that same protocol next time. thanks for the advice

Friday, July 18, 2008 3:15 AM
  • Supermark,

No problem :-).  I just wanted to share with you how we provide support for our customers. Feel free to look around and I am sure you will see some great threads MVPs, visitors and our staff provide attempting to resolve everyone's concerns. 

Take care Supermark and I hope you have a wonderful weekend

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, July 18, 2008 8:05 PM
  • Benedito626,

Sounds like you are trying to install XP using a retail CD and the OEM Product Key on the computer's Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).

The Product Key algorithm that generates PKs for retail licenses of XP is different from the one that generates PKs for OEM licenses, so PKs for retail CDs won't work to install OEM CDs and vice versa.

In order to use the PK that is on the CoA affixed to the HP 6701 computer, you will have to use either the HP Recovery solution provided with the computer when purchased new, or contact HP to order a replacement recovery CD, or use a genuine hologrammed systembuilder/OEM CD.  If you use the systembuilder/OEM CD, you will have to do a telephonic activation, but that takes less than 7 minutes.

Monday, July 21, 2008 2:30 PM
  • This might find your product key:  http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 4:45 PM