HP MSS and iTunes RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but here it goes.

I am a little confused about how to setup my music and where to place it.  I've got several client PCs and an HP MSS.  Do I copy all my music and rip all my CDs directly to the "Music" share folder on my server, or do I leave it on the client PCs and the iTunes feature of the MSS will keep track of it on each client PC?  I believe when I first got my server, I copied all the music over to the Music share.  But now, the only thing there is an iTunes library file.

What's the best suggested setup?

Thanks,

SilkRod 

Monday, June 30, 2008 7:07 AM

All replies

• It really depends on how you use your PC(s) and server. The content aggregator that HP supplies is rather simple-minded, so it may not be suitable for your use. For example, all the music files in my house originate from my desktop machine, and are played (streamed) off the server. So rather than using the HP aggregator tool to collect music from all the computers in the house, I simply use a third party tool to copy my library to the server when changes are made. I do this because I want to keep the library backed up on different physical hardware, and it's large enough (many thousands of Apple Lossless tracks) that I don't want to turn on duplication.

If you have a great deal of duplication from library to library, the aggregator will duplicate those tracks in your central library, which is probably not what you really want. In that case, you may prefer to manually build your library on the server. If there's little duplication, the aggregator will "do the right thing."

Finally, you can point iTunes at a library that's stored on the server. However, you need to be careful, because iTunes doesn't like to "share" it's library. So I think some method of aggregating all the media onto the server is the best bet. You should experiment a bit, because what's best for me may not be best for you.
    Monday, June 30, 2008 7:18 PM