Live Mesh Remote Desktop crashing my PC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have two PCs both running Vista Home Premium 32-bit using Live Mesh. Both are using the same Windows Live ID and synchronization of files works.

When I try to use Live Mesh Remote Desktop on PC A connecting to PC B (so I am sitting in front of PC A using PC B via Live Mesh Remote Desktop), PC B crashes after some time (a few minutes). PC B is set up to go into hibernation (S3) after 4 minutes of inactivity in order to save power because the unit is turned on more or less 24/7 because it records TV shows and stuff. Now I can use Live Mesh Remote Desktop fine for some time (sometimes over 5 minutes), but eventually I will be disconnected and get a error message (some numbers, most of them zeros).

When I go to PC B, the PC is not in hibernation, but there is a black screen with the mouse pointer visible somewhere. I am however not able to move the mouse nor can I do anything with the keyboard (Windows Logo key + L, CTRL + Alt+ DEL, nothing works) leaving me only to reset and to restart the PC. Then it will ask me to boot in safe mode, but it will just work fine in normal mode.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:58 PM

Answers

• I think that your issue is due to that aggressive hibernation setting. When you are connected via Remote Desktop through Live Mesh, the display driver in use is from Live Mesh. It seems as if the PC wants to hibernate, can't unload the Live Mesh curtain driver, and disconnects you, with the desktop being left in a corrupt state and the "normal" display driver not regaining control.
    That's all speculation on my part. I would try moving that S3 setting to a longer period of inactivity and see if the problem does not happen when you connect, use the remote connection and then disconnect the session gracefully.
    And, submitting a bug on Connect with logs from the machine exhibiting the problem would be great. Please post the bug ID and/or a link to the bug back to this thread (copy and paste the URL from the address bar while viewing the bug after submission).

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:04 PM

All replies

• I think that your issue is due to that aggressive hibernation setting. When you are connected via Remote Desktop through Live Mesh, the display driver in use is from Live Mesh. It seems as if the PC wants to hibernate, can't unload the Live Mesh curtain driver, and disconnects you, with the desktop being left in a corrupt state and the "normal" display driver not regaining control.
    That's all speculation on my part. I would try moving that S3 setting to a longer period of inactivity and see if the problem does not happen when you connect, use the remote connection and then disconnect the session gracefully.
    And, submitting a bug on Connect with logs from the machine exhibiting the problem would be great. Please post the bug ID and/or a link to the bug back to this thread (copy and paste the URL from the address bar while viewing the bug after submission).

-steve

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:04 PM
  • I'll be doing this the next time it happens.

The problem only occurs when I use it for some time, establishing the remote connection always works. If I only use the PC for a short time and then disconnect, everything is fine on both PCs.

By the way how do I create a log from the PC with the problem? I use a German Version of Windoes Vista and I know an application that shows me the events (it says "Management Console 3.0" under "?"). Do you have any link that shows me how to create a log containing the relevant information?

Thanks for your help.

-Philipp

EDIT: alright I found this: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/LiveMesh/thread/d52b350a-f3e0-41c6-8e78-d6378e566b9e

Do you mean the Live Mesh log (as described in the link) or a log from the Windows PC?
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:15 AM
  • I just found something out:

When I go to the Device manager, there is only one graphics card, which is my onboard ATI Radeon Xpress 1250. There is no Live Mesh device (but I think there used to be one).

I sync pars of my music library with Windows Live Mesh and these folders are present on both PCs and on the Live Mesh Desktop. Could I reinstall Live Mesh and start syncing these folders again or will this cause conflicts?

-Philipp
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:12 PM
  • I mean the Live Mesh logs described here:

-steve

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:57 PM
  • Don't reinstall until you file that bug report. :-)

If you reinstall, you will need to re-establish the sync pairs between the PCs, and it may result in an extensive list of "conflicts" needing resolution.

However, before reinstalling, I'm quite sure that the team would like to see what's up with your machine and why you don't see the Live Mesh display driver in Device Manager and why you are experiencing the problem when using the remote desktop feature.
    -steve
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:00 PM
  • Yeah sure but I think that the missing Live Mesh display driver micht be caused by me.

I will try to provocate this error again and file the bug report then.

-Philipp
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:43 PM
  • Yeah sure but I think that the missing Live Mesh display driver micht be caused by me.

I will try to provocate this error again and file the bug report then.

-Philipp

Did you remove the display driver? If so, then I'd go ahead and reinstall Live Mesh to correct that situation. Do capture the Live Mesh logs first, though.
    -steve
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:55 PM
  • First of all, sorry for not answering faster. Yesterday the error showed up again. I filed a bug report (https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=446095). However, everytime I try to upload the LiveMeshLog file, I get an error. ("Die folgenden Dateien konnten nicht angefügt werden." in German if that helps) I am using IE 7.

I will reinstall Live Mesh now and tell you about the results. Remote Desktop seems to work vice versa, though.

Thank you for your support.

-Philipp
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 3:48 PM
  • I tried to use the "repair" feature but that did not restore the driver. If I want to reinstall Live MEsh, is there anything I have to do before? I have 2 folders of about 20GB of files that are synched with another PC and I would like to be able to resume the synching as soon as possible.

-Philipp
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 5:12 PM
  • Hello Philipp, wait a day or so, then try uploading your Live Mesh logs again. If they fail to upload again please do not discard them. If the Live Mesh Team needs them they may contact you with an alternate method of sending the logs.

To reinstall Live Mesh uninstall the device from your Live Desktop, uninstall Live Mesh from your computer using add/remove programs ( programs and features in Vista ), restart your computer, go to your Live Desktop, select "add device". Select the path to the folders to be synchronized, select the sync options and sync should resume.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 6:28 PM
  • Alright I tried again and I could upload the file: https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=446095

EIDT: I did what you advised me to do but still, that driver does not show up. Is there any other way to force it's installation?
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 12:54 PM
  • Thanks for the update and the link. I don't know of a way to force the Mirror Driver to install and it might be best to wait for an official solution. Now that your logs have been submitted there might be some clues in the logs as to what is causing the driver installation to fail.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:55 PM
  • I just wanted to mention that the error still occurs after the reinstallation of Live Mesh, and as I said befor, the driver was not reinstalled. Is there anything I can do to manually install the driver?
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 4:10 PM
  • I'll have to defer to the Live Mesh team on that. Hopefully, you'll be getting a response to your bug report as to why the problem happened to begin with.
    -steve
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 4:14 PM
  • I guess the problem occured because I removed the driver by accident. The only problem I have is that I cannot reinstall the driver.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:47 PM
  • I guess the problem occured because I removed the driver by accident. The only problem I have is that I cannot reinstall the driver.

True, but it should have reinstalled when you reinstalled Live Mesh....
    -steve
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Philipp, try uninstalling and reinstalling your graphics card driver before reinstalling Live Mesh.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:37 PM
  • I will try this. Do you mean in this order:

1. Remove PC from Live Mesh
    2. Uninstall Live Mesh on this PC
    3. Uninstall graphics card driver
    4. Reinstall graphics card driver
    5. Reinstall Live Mesh and add the PC to the Live Mesh.

Just to make sure I get you right.

-Philipp
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 7:25 PM
  • Yes, exactly that order. It is only a guess but I think the Live Mesh Mirror driver hooks into the graphics driver and having removed the Live Mesh Mirror Driver manually may cause the Mesh installer to see the Mirror driver as already installed.
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Jim is right.  I believe Evan sent you the same steps in the bug report as well. 

-ken
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:18 PM
  • Jim is right.  I believe Evan sent you the same steps in the bug report as well. 

-ken

Alright I will try this as soon as the ongoing sync is done because I'll rather wait to have those files on boths PC before removing Live Mesh.

Thanks you for your help and support, I really appreciate that.

-Philipp
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:48 PM
  • I tried this (withour restarting the maching and without really deleting the driver files, just uninstalling and direct reinstall of the graphics card) but this did not help.

Then I tried again, removed my PC from Live Mesh, deleted the Program Files\Live Mesh Folder, restarted my PC, uninstalled the graphics card and deleted the driver, restarted, reinstalled the graphics card by downloading the drivers from the manufactor's website becuase Windows Update could not find them, restarted, installed Live Mesh and Live Mesh Desktop enhancements and the driver was finally back.

Another thing I noticed: prior to this, my graphics card was listed as "ATI Radeon Xpress 1250", while now with the downloaded driver it is listed as "ATI Radeon X1200 Series".

It's functionality and Windows Rating does not seem to have changed.

I am using Remote Desktop right now and it has not crashed for about 15 minutes, so I assume it is fixed. If it will crash again I will report this.

Shall I add these steps to my bug report?

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate your support.

-Philipp

Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:53 PM
  • Yes, please do update the bug report. Thanks for documenting the steps. Glad that it appears to be resolved for you.
    -steve
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Unfortunately, I experienced another error. After I was able to use the remote connection for about 20 minutes, I decided to disconnect by closing the window. When I went to the other PC, I had a black screen and I was unable to do anything except for moving the mouse. CTRL ALT DEL had no effect either.

Could this be due to my standby settings or is this unrelated?

-Philipp
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:14 PM
  • Unfortunately, I experienced another error. After I was able to use the remote connection for about 20 minutes, I decided to disconnect by closing the window. When I went to the other PC, I had a black screen and I was unable to do anything except for moving the mouse. CTRL ALT DEL had no effect either.

Could this be due to my standby settings or is this unrelated?

-Philipp

That's a painful problem that I experience on one machine regularly. It is apparently caused by the Live Mesh display driver not relinquishing control after disconnecting. How I resolve it is to reconnected via Live mesh remote to that machine and then reboot it, which allows me to then physically log in at the machine with a normal display. Yes, that would be a bug- not likely due to standby settings.
    -steve
    Friday, May 22, 2009 3:08 PM
  • Alright I will try this in the future. Shall I also report this as a bug or has it already been reported before?

-Philipp
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 3:27 PM
  • There are several bug submissions with symptoms similar to yours - https://connect.microsoft.com/LiveMesh/feedback/SearchResults.aspx?SearchQuery=black+screen You may want to browse through them and validate and/or add comments to any that duplicate your issue. If none match your issue exactly I would submit a new bug report with Live Mesh logs.
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 3:48 PM