internet explorer has stopped working RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have been using IE for a week now and all of the sudden I get a error messege stating "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."  It hasn't notified me of anything.  I can send and receive email, but can't get online.  I have tried to "repair" the problem using the help center.  The computer said it fixed the problem, but it didn't.  What can I do?
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 2:00 AM

Answers

• Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories and right-click
    on the Command Prompt and choose "Run as administrator".

Type in:  SFC /SCANNOW  and press your Enter key.

This procedure will scan Vista's protected system files
    and attempt to repair or replace missing or corrupt files.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 3:13 AM
  • It's important to indicate which version of IE and the operating system you are using so you get the most specific help possible.  These instructions should work if you are using XP or Vista.

I frequently see IE7 crashes caused by third-party add-ons that get installed "automatically" with certain free downloads.  They are usually in the form of unnecessary Search toolbars.  You can tell at a glance if you have more than one Search toolbar installed in IE. 

To troubleshoot, try launching Internet Explorer with add-ons turned off:

Open a Command Prompt.
    Change to the Internet Explorer Program folder by typing: cd c:\program files\internet explorer
    Launch Internet Explorer with Add-ons disabled by typing: iexplore.exe -extoff

Internet Explorer should launch with the message "
    Internet Explorer is currently running without add-ons".
    If IE runs more reliably when started this way, this is a strong indicator the problem is caused by an add-on.  You can narrow down which one with a little experimentation:

Restart IE normally if you can.  Then click Tools, Manage Add-ons, Enable or Disable Add-ons.  (This option may be disabled if you are runing in -extoff mode).

From the list of Add-ons currently loaded, highlight a suspicious entry, then click the Disable radio button. Click OK and restart IE to see if the situation has improved.  Be particularly suspicious of third party Search toolbars.  You really don't need more than one (and IE7 already has a very flexible one built in), but I've seen systems with many.  In my experience,  one called "Web Search" has frequently been the culprit.  Add-ons that have no entry in the "Publisher" column of the list are good choices to disable as well.

Once you think you know which add-on is causing the problem, you can uninstall it from your computer by going to the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs (in Vista, it's called Programs and Features).  Find an entry there that corresponds to the name of the add-on you want to remove, and Uninstall it.

I have repaired systems by repeating this for as many as four extra add-ons, so don't give up.  If you've looked carefully, but can't find a program to uninstall an add-on that seems
    suspicious, you probably need to run an anti-spyware or anti-virus program.  If you don't have one already, I recommend the free version of Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.com, Spybot Search and Destroy from www.spybot.com, or Trend Micro's free online scanner: housecall.trendmicro.com.

Good luck.
    Mat Arnold
    Automation Consultant
    www.expyram.com
    Monday, December 31, 2007 5:36 PM

All replies

• Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories and right-click
    on the Command Prompt and choose "Run as administrator".

Type in:  SFC /SCANNOW  and press your Enter key.

This procedure will scan Vista's protected system files
    and attempt to repair or replace missing or corrupt files.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 3:13 AM
  • I tried this option. The program reported file corruption but it could not repair the damage.  I looked at the log file and it is very complex. Any thoughts if there is a program to read these files.  Any thoughts?

Thursday, November 22, 2007 5:08 PM
  • I had the same problem and went through the vista system scan SFC /SCANNOW  and got the following message. Windows resource protection found corrupt files was was unable to fix some of them.  Details are included in the CBS.log windir\logs\CBS\CBS.log.  for example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.  What can I do to resolve this problem with IE?

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 9:23 PM
  • I had the same problem and went through the vista system scan SFC /SCANNOW  and got the following message. Windows resource protection found corrupt files was was unable to fix some of them.  Details are included in the CBS.log windir\logs\CBS\CBS.log.  for example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.  What can I do to resolve this problem with IE?

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 9:38 PM
  • I'm having thesame problem with Internet Explorer I use Vista System Scan SFC /SCANNOW and got the following message.  Windows resource protection found corrupt files was was unable to fix some of them. Details are Included in the CBS.LOG Windir\logs\CBS\CBS.log. for example C:\Windows\logs\CBS\CBS.log. Please what can I do to resolve this problem with Internet Explorer 7

Thank You Hector Torres 12/25/07 8:38 PM.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 1:38 AM
  • I'm having the exact same problem. The same log file from system scan as above. Windows explorer keeps stopping and restarting and it preventing me from using any programs. Is their any known solutions? Please I am in desperate need.
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 1:39 AM
  • It's important to indicate which version of IE and the operating system you are using so you get the most specific help possible.  These instructions should work if you are using XP or Vista.

I frequently see IE7 crashes caused by third-party add-ons that get installed "automatically" with certain free downloads.  They are usually in the form of unnecessary Search toolbars.  You can tell at a glance if you have more than one Search toolbar installed in IE. 

To troubleshoot, try launching Internet Explorer with add-ons turned off:

Open a Command Prompt.
    Change to the Internet Explorer Program folder by typing: cd c:\program files\internet explorer
    Launch Internet Explorer with Add-ons disabled by typing: iexplore.exe -extoff

Internet Explorer should launch with the message "
    Internet Explorer is currently running without add-ons".
    If IE runs more reliably when started this way, this is a strong indicator the problem is caused by an add-on.  You can narrow down which one with a little experimentation:

Restart IE normally if you can.  Then click Tools, Manage Add-ons, Enable or Disable Add-ons.  (This option may be disabled if you are runing in -extoff mode).

From the list of Add-ons currently loaded, highlight a suspicious entry, then click the Disable radio button. Click OK and restart IE to see if the situation has improved.  Be particularly suspicious of third party Search toolbars.  You really don't need more than one (and IE7 already has a very flexible one built in), but I've seen systems with many.  In my experience,  one called "Web Search" has frequently been the culprit.  Add-ons that have no entry in the "Publisher" column of the list are good choices to disable as well.

Once you think you know which add-on is causing the problem, you can uninstall it from your computer by going to the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs (in Vista, it's called Programs and Features).  Find an entry there that corresponds to the name of the add-on you want to remove, and Uninstall it.

I have repaired systems by repeating this for as many as four extra add-ons, so don't give up.  If you've looked carefully, but can't find a program to uninstall an add-on that seems
    suspicious, you probably need to run an anti-spyware or anti-virus program.  If you don't have one already, I recommend the free version of Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.com, Spybot Search and Destroy from www.spybot.com, or Trend Micro's free online scanner: housecall.trendmicro.com.

Good luck.
    Mat Arnold
    Automation Consultant
    www.expyram.com
    Monday, December 31, 2007 5:36 PM
  • I had the same result as DPharr. I have been looking for a fix to this for weeks with no success.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 1:56 AM
  •  Hector Torres wrote:

I'm having thesame problem with Internet Explorer I use Vista System Scan SFC /SCANNOW and got the following message.  Windows resource protection found corrupt files was was unable to fix some of them. Details are Included in the CBS.LOG Windir\logs\CBS\CBS.log. for example C:\Windows\logs\CBS\CBS.log. Please what can I do to resolve this problem with Internet Explorer 7

Thank You Hector Torres 12/25/07 8:38 PM.

Thursday, January 3, 2008 1:00 PM
  • Locking Thread.

This issue does not appear to be WGA related and as such is off topic for this forum.

If you need additional assistance with your Internet Explorer issue, please refer to the Internet Explorer Newgroup http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx or go to http://support.microsoft.com for further support options.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, January 3, 2008 5:10 PM