none
Can I add a hard drive and read any files already on it? RRS feed

• Question

• Have just suffered a PC failure - power supply let the smoke out - but its hard drives are OK.

I have four files on one of the hard drives that have been altered since the last back up the evening before that i would really like to access and rescue.

Can I add the hard drive to my homeserver in a spare bay and then read the files off that hard drive as its the only way i can power the drive up [i am reading and writing this on my laptop].

Rather than risk the data i want to save i have just plugged an external USB hard drive in that has nothing of consequence on it to see if I can view it but it doesnt appear to have been added to the shared folders or be accessible from the network storage window. It did ask me if i wanted to preserve any files on the disk. I said i did but i dont see a way to view them now

Thanks in anticipation

Paul

Monday, December 19, 2011 7:22 PM

All replies

• Check the FAQ section of this forum which should tell you all you need to know.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, December 19, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Sorry but i'll need a better clue than that as i don't see an FAQ that answers my question.

Could simply be that i am asking the wrong question or a case of knowing what i want to do but not speaking computerese

Monday, December 19, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Windows Home Server V1 will not let you share files from a disk that already has data on it. Windows Home Server 2011 will, but rather than go through all that trouble, why not just connect the disk to a home computer other than your server, using a USB bridge device, and just copy off those 4 essential files that way?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:19 AM