How many times can I use a Vista SP2 replacement disc? RRS feed

• Question

• My computer crashed and Microsoft sent me a Vista SP 2 replacement disc. I had to use it twice on the same computer to restore my computer. How many more times can I use it? I don't know if this might be illegal, but say if I get another computer, can I use the same disc on a different computer?
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:04 AM

Answers

• Hello SephirothXR,

When it comes to Licensing, the software is not as importent as the Product Key being used. 
    >Retail Product Keys are licensed to be used in One computer at a time.
    >OEM Product Keys (one that come with a computer that has Windows Pre-installed) are only licensed for the First computer it was used in. It can not be used in any other computers. 

That being said, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that Microsoft sent you a Replacment Vista SP2 disc. 

>If you mean that they sent you the Disc and a Product key, then the Key they sent you would be a Retail key and (as mentioned above) Retail Keys can only be used in One computer at a time. If you use the key in a new computer, then the old computer is no longer licensed to run Vista using that same Product Key.

>If you mean they sent you just the Replacment disc (no product key) then the software can be used any amount of times as long as the Retail and/or OEM Product Key(s) being used in the Vista software follow the rules that I described above.

I hope my explanation helped,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 4:52 PM

All replies

• Hello SephirothXR,

When it comes to Licensing, the software is not as importent as the Product Key being used. 
    >OEM Product Keys (one that come with a computer that has Windows Pre-installed) are only licensed for the First computer it was used in. It can not be used in any other computers. 

That being said, I'm not sure what you mean when you say that Microsoft sent you a Replacment Vista SP2 disc. 

>If you mean that they sent you the Disc and a Product key, then the Key they sent you would be a Retail key and (as mentioned above) Retail Keys can only be used in One computer at a time. If you use the key in a new computer, then the old computer is no longer licensed to run Vista using that same Product Key.

>If you mean they sent you just the Replacment disc (no product key) then the software can be used any amount of times as long as the Retail and/or OEM Product Key(s) being used in the Vista software follow the rules that I described above.

Darin MS
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Hello SephirothXR,

Darin MS
    It is a disc with a product key. But if I put this on a computer, will Microsoft's servers immediately flag me and tell me that I'm not allowed to do this or something? If I put it into a new one, will the old one keep getting messages from Microsoft?
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:09 AM