Windows 7 Backup from WHS Share *to* Client RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the scenario.  HP EX475 WHS (500GB, 2X1.5TB, 2TB internal) + SansDigital TR4M Enclosure via eSATA (4X2TB).

For an approx. 4TB shared folder on WHS (v1), I would like to turn off file duplication to free space on the server and backup that share to a seperate TR4M (4X2TB) connected to a client using Windows 7 (Ultimate) Backup.

Question #1: Can Windows 7 backup be configured to do this?

In a perfect world, I'd like to connect 2 eSATA enclosures to the WHS to expand the capacity.  I am not comfortable with expanding the storage via USB 2.0 device because of reduced throughput.

Question #2: Would WHS then necessarily look to backup the client's eSATA enclosure as part of the regular PC backup?   (this would defeat the purpose)

Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:28 PM

All replies

• Here is the scenario.  HP EX475 WHS (500GB, 2X1.5TB, 2TB internal) + SansDigital TR4M Enclosure via eSATA (4X2TB).

For an approx. 4TB shared folder on WHS (v1), I would like to turn off file duplication to free space on the server and backup that share to a seperate TR4M (4X2TB) connected to a client using Windows 7 (Ultimate) Backup.

Question #1: Can Windows 7 backup be configured to do this?

In a perfect world, I'd like to connect 2 eSATA enclosures to the WHS to expand the capacity.  I am not comfortable with expanding the storage via USB 2.0 device because of reduced throughput.

Question #2: Would WHS then necessarily look to backup the client's eSATA enclosure as part of the regular PC backup?   (this would defeat the purpose)

Question 1:  You should ask that in the Win7 forum.

Question 2:  Yes, it would backup any hard drives connected to your client (although you should be able to exclude them from the backup by running through the backup configuration).

Saturday, April 30, 2011 8:14 PM
  • thank you.

The win 7 forum moderator sent me here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/4faaf736-d337-4d2f-9e27-6caea48fdaab

I would guess that this this question is one of those 1 in a million that actually involves more than one Microsoft product at a time---hence the confusion.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 1:31 AM