Can a Windows Home Server machine Double as a HTPC? RRS feed

• Question

• Building another PC tenatively. I need a windows home server machine for backup of all my pcs. But I would like to kill 2 birds and replace my HTPC with the same device. Can U use an OS with WHS on the same machine? Can it be used to install programs or run programs. Can it be dual booted with Vista 64 bit.
    My favorite feature on WHS is that it can create backups from all PC's on the network in my case 5, and it can be remotely accessedMy other alternative is to just install Vista Ultimate 64 bit and Use acronis on each pc and set it to backup 1 Full backup and then incremental backups weekly.
    Doesnt windows 7 have WHS type features as well? Cause I could just install that beta right (Which I already have)

HTPC case,
    AMD board with 6 Sata supporting Raid 0/1/ +5 /JBOD
    Built in VGA/DVI/HDMI
    4gb DDR2 1066 mhz
    ESATA
    4 x 1tb Storage drives
    2x 500gb Storage drives
    Amd Phenom x4
    Monday, March 30, 2009 8:34 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server isn't designed to be used as a HTPC. You can install software on it that will allow you to use it that way, but such use is "unsupported". And yes, the recommended configuration is a "two box" system, with Windows Home Server being used to supply extra storage to your HTPC.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 30, 2009 9:03 PM

All replies

• WHS is suppose to be "always on" so in case of dual booting it with another operating system is not recommended.  I have installed Media Player 11 on my WHS and it streams stuff to my playstation 3 flawlessly.  I believe others use WHS as an HTPC.
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Well I want to hook it up to my Tv through HDMI, The only realy program I would have to install is VLC player as most of my stuff is AVI, DIVX ,OGG
    Could I do that? I've never seen it, the way I understand you connect to it via software on another pc. Is there a GUI or explorer to use for installations? Would I be better off just using a WHS and a HTPC seperatly? I mean I could do it but its not nearly as fun :P
    Monday, March 30, 2009 8:46 PM
  • Windows Home Server isn't designed to be used as a HTPC. You can install software on it that will allow you to use it that way, but such use is "unsupported". And yes, the recommended configuration is a "two box" system, with Windows Home Server being used to supply extra storage to your HTPC.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 30, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Well I gues I could start out on a bux I have now with the trial and just use the PS3 as the HTPC .

Ill play with it and figure it out. Thanks guys
    Monday, March 30, 2009 9:06 PM
  • You could also install WHS in a virtualized environment on top of the client OS of your HTPC but this is definitely not a supported scenario. There are several threads on this subject if you are interested in trying this.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 10:20 PM
  • I have seen some efforts in this area. WHS with ATI cards and bluray players, sanctioned by MS. Fine, I suppose. WHS as a media server can do much better than an imitation of a HTPC. HTPC is a generation behind WHS and NMT's.

Ben
    Ben Ogilvie
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:02 AM