Security in Live Mesh and all Sync services for that matter? RRS feed

• Question

• So with the recent roll out of MS live mesh (www.mesh.com) and other sync services like Sync Toy and other web based services that employ the "cloud" how does security work with scanning content from synced machines?

I can see some pretty horrific situations happen - I just want to find out what or how most security aps (Including MS aps) scan the files that are transfered to the machine even if that transfer is over an SSL connection let's say like a transfer while using the Remote desktop features in Live Mesh?

This entire cloud / mesh / sync world is new and I am sure many have not really thought about how an infection could spread out of control to machines....

My bigger worry would be now with services like live mesh - I could have an employee that set it up to link to their home machine and could sync gb's of data in some kind of unprotected direct connection to the system. Then with them inside the company firewall infecting all the other machines on the local network..

The hairs on my neck stand up a bit thinking about this.......would love some answers to be thrown down about it....

Monday, September 1, 2008 3:00 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I'll see if one of the security experts on the Live Mesh team can reply to some of the specific questions you ask, but as a starting place you may wish to look at our blog post on Authorization and Encryption.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 7:01 PM
  • Hi,

adding antivirus to autoscan synchronized files is in our plans. You are right that any file synchronization system may bring interesting threats. For now, your local antivirus may help in checking/healing synchronized files.

Thanks
    Nikolai
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'll see if one of the security experts on the Live Mesh team can reply to some of the specific questions you ask, but as a starting place you may wish to look at our blog post on Authorization and Encryption.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 7:01 PM
  • That would be great...... thanks and I will take a look...

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 2:59 AM
  • Hi,

adding antivirus to autoscan synchronized files is in our plans. You are right that any file synchronization system may bring interesting threats. For now, your local antivirus may help in checking/healing synchronized files.

Thanks
    Nikolai
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 6:58 PM