Public Network Message on Installation Inaccurate at Best RRS feed

• General discussion

• On the original installation on Vista Ultimate 64-Bit, after rebooting, a bubble message was displayed several times that informed me that I was connected to a "Public Network" and all file and printer sharing had been turned off. To re-enforce the fact it specifically told me that no one could access my computer and I couldn't access any others on the network. Given I have 5 on my home LAN, this cause a bit of panic.

A couple of notes... this computer has no wireless card, so its not the same issue as noted earlier with a flaky connection. Also, it appears everything is working correctly without human intervention and somehow it set itself up fine because in the adanced settings it now says Network:Network - Status:Connected - Zone: Home or Work.

I'm assuming the messages were only displayed as it was self-configuring on the initial reboot, however, the users can do without the large warning on set-up. It obviously caused more panic than good.

Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:29 AM

All replies

• Hi MadDiggity,

Thanks for your feedback. I am the Microsoft Program Manager responsible for firewall. As a safety precaution, while we identify that network is the same, we put the firewall in secure mode, this results in the warning. I agree that this causes alarm and are looking at alternatives.

Please confirm that after a few seconds you got the second balloon confirming that you are connected to a home or work zone network.

Thanks

Neeraj

Sunday, July 15, 2007 7:38 AM
  • Neeraj

After installing 2.0 I got the same message and indeed it was gone in a few seconds

chuck

Sunday, July 15, 2007 9:50 PM
  • Thanks Chuck.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:37 AM