none
Replaced hard drives in a connected PC RRS feed

• Question

• I have removed 2 secondary hard drives in one of my connected computers and replaced with a single 750GB drive.

Windows Home Server tells me i have a new hard drive and that i need to configure backups. When I attempt to re-configure backups, I get the following error message:

"The computer is not online or Windows Home Server cannot access the computer's hard drive. Please make sure the computer is powered on and connected to your home network."

The computer is connected to the server, and the server sees it as such and it will still backup the primary drive.  I tried uninstalling the WHS Connector software from the computer and re-installing the Connector software, but the problem persists.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,
    • Edited by philip101 Friday, November 7, 2008 10:14 PM fix error
    Friday, November 7, 2008 10:13 PM

Answers

• Update: Problem now resolved.

After installing WHS Toolkit v1.1, I am now able to configure backups. Although the Connector Troubleshooter identified no issues, my next attempt to configure backups was successful. Who knows why. Thanks again to those who offered suggestions.

Cheers, Phil
    • Marked as answer by philip101 Monday, December 1, 2008 10:32 AM
    Monday, December 1, 2008 10:32 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    do you have a 3rd party firewall installed?
    Maybe this blocks one of the ports necessary for the Home Server to query the client configuration.
    Try to disable the clients firewall temporary to check, if this is the reason.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, November 8, 2008 3:15 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately disabling the firewall made no difference.

The problem i'm experiencing was reported during beta testing of WHS & it seems that it still exists in the production version. The fix back then involved removing the connected computer from WHS and deleting various registry keys to ensure it was completely removed. Then reconnecting the PC seemed to work for most users. The other fix was to rebuild the server.

Cheers, Phil
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 1:44 AM
  • Philip, how exactly did you migrate from a two drive configuration to a one drive configuration? Did you remove the two drives, then restore the backups of the drives onto the single drive? Or did you use disk imaging software such as Ghost or Acronis True Image?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 4:36 AM
  • Hi Ken,

I just removed the 2 drives and installed the new drive. The 2 removed drives were just for data storage. I did not restore any backups to the new single drive, either by WHS or via a 3rd party imaging software. The C: drive was not removed.

Thanks,
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 4:49 AM
  • Update: Problem now resolved.

After installing WHS Toolkit v1.1, I am now able to configure backups. Although the Connector Troubleshooter identified no issues, my next attempt to configure backups was successful. Who knows why. Thanks again to those who offered suggestions.

Cheers, Phil
    • Marked as answer by philip101 Monday, December 1, 2008 10:32 AM
    Monday, December 1, 2008 10:32 AM