none
wga hangs RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a new key and made the mistake of upgrading xp pro to service pack 2 without turning off my firewall.  when I realized my mistake it had been blocked and was deleting files.  I oops again and stopped it.  My computer would only loop to the startup screen and then restart.  I talked to a Microsoft tech to no avail.  He said it was a hardware problem.  I used the recovery console to do the full uninstall of service pack 2.  Now I get to the login screen (with the validation warning at the bottom)  If I choose resolve now it just gives me a blank screen with the curser still active.  If I choose resolve later I get a message that it cannot check the status of the liscense.  Got any ideas other than waiting 2 weeks to get my new copy of xp pro?
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 1:01 AM

Answers

• Red671,

Please check at the support pages for your exact make and model of computer or your exact make and model and revision number of motherboard to see if the motherboard requires a BIOS update to be compatible with XP SP2 or SP3.

If it does (very likely given the looping symptoms after installation of SP2 that you reported) and you apply the BIOS update, after restarting you should then be able to successfully install SP2 and SP3.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:15 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:35 AM