Save CSV file onto another machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I need my website to be able to save a .csv file onto another networked machine (our SQL box) in order for it to be processed by SQL. I keep getting the error 'Bad logon or password'. I've double and triple checked the permissions on the folder I'm trying to save to but to no avail.

Is there an easy work around for this issue?

Thanks in advance,
    Brett
    • Moved by jack 321 Thursday, June 5, 2008 3:30 AM off topic for C# language
    Monday, June 2, 2008 3:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

When you want to save a file into a directory which is not on the workstation where the program is executing , you must have permissions to do that.
    When you save a file on your workstation, the program has no problem to verify whether you have the permission as it's on the machine and Windows can verify easily.
    When you want to save a file on a remote machine, you should connect to that machine with a logon and password which must be recognized on this remote machine
    If i'm not making an error, that is called the impersonation ( i'm not sure about the spelling )

This problem is easy to solve on a domain network ( with a controller Windows Server ), it's more difficult when you are on a workgroup network ( without a controller Windows Server ). That's the case when you put in a network machinex with Windows 98 or XP Home ( these OS forbid to join a domain ).

Could you precise the type of network and give more explanations about what you want to do ?

We are waiting for your feedback

Have a nice day
    Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helped you. Unmark if it provides no help
    Monday, June 2, 2008 9:02 PM
  • Hi,

What I want is for a user to upload a CSV and save it on a remote machine so SQL can do a Bulk Upload. At the minute I'm running the website locally but once live, this will be published on our webserver. There's not a lot to the architecture. 2 webservers with a load balancer and a SQL machine. The live webservers will not be on the same domain.

Thanks,
    Brett

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 8:32 AM
  • This was moved out of the C# forum.

You can ask this in another MSDN forum, or I can move it into a specific forum if you'd like.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Monday, February 20, 2012 6:45 AM