Duplicated file lost after drive failure RRS feed

• Question

• My home-built WHS uses 4 drives, 2 internal and 2 external USB, of various sizes.  Recently one of the external USB drives, a WD My Book, failed.  I got the typical file conflict errors and access to my files was hit or miss even in the duplicated shares.  I followed the typical procedure: added a new replacement drive and then removed the failed drive using the console.  After crunching through the process WHS showed all shares healthy again and all of my duplicated shares successfully recreated all my files EXCEPT ONE!  I had a 1.4Gb Outlook PST file on the duplicated documents share along with several archive PST files.  The archive PST files are there and intact but the outlook.pst file is GONE!  The only thing I can think is that it may have been open on my client computer at the instant the drive failed and got corrupted somehow but I would still expect the shadow copy to be intact and would have been recreated. Any ideas as to why this single file was not recreated even though it was in a directory in a duplicated share?  I'd really like to get it back since the only other backup I have of that file is more than two weeks old.
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    Microsoft does not support PST Files on network drives.
    If you kept it always open on the client, the duplication may have always failed for this file.

In each other case you can check the hidden folder DE\shares (see the Folder options in Windows Explorer to see it) on the removed disk - maybe you find the file still there in the appropriate subfolder.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by bimmerjoe Sunday, May 9, 2010 12:05 PM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 8:52 PM
  • As Olaf says, storing your PST file on a network drive isn't supported . And it's not a question of if corruption/data loss will occur, but when. A supported solution would be to install the Personal Folders Backup Outlook add-in, which will ask to copy the file to another location on a schedule you can set.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Microsoft does not support PST Files on network drives.
    If you kept it always open on the client, the duplication may have always failed for this file.

In each other case you can check the hidden folder DE\shares (see the Folder options in Windows Explorer to see it) on the removed disk - maybe you find the file still there in the appropriate subfolder.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, May 6, 2010 8:52 PM
  • As Olaf says, storing your PST file on a network drive isn't supported . And it's not a question of if corruption/data loss will occur, but when. A supported solution would be to install the Personal Folders Backup Outlook add-in, which will ask to copy the file to another location on a schedule you can set.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 8, 2010 3:43 PM
  • Danke, Olaf.  Die Drive ist ganz tot.  Warum Deutsch?  Ich lebte in Deutschland für ein paar Jahre. Ich vermisse Bundesliga. :)

Tschüss!

Sunday, May 9, 2010 12:12 PM
  • Thanks, Ken.  Running my pst file off the network has worked flawlessly for months.  I guess I pushed my luck.  I can understand the file got corrupted.  I just don't understand why it was totally missing.  Anyway, I guess I'll go back to running the pst file on the client and setting up a backup utility for it.

Best regards.

Sunday, May 9, 2010 12:15 PM