Windows cannot start b/c of missing or corrupt file <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to use my other computer which has become inoperable due to the above referenced error message.  The computer has gradually slowed in operation to the point where it will now not operate at all.  I had run a diagnostic with my security company and there were no viruses found.  Possibly there was damage from travel being knocked around, but I can't say for sure.  Nevertheless, the error message popped up this morning and even with a reboot I am stuck.
    Windows is telling me to re-install a copy, so the dumb question is how do I go about doing this when I can't use the other computer.  Please help!
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:11 PM

Answers

• This is the Windows Home Server forum. If you have a Windows Home Server computer, you can restore your other computer using the Home Computer Restore CD.

If you don't have a Windows Home Server computer, then you should seek assistance in a forum for your operating system. You'll find forums for all Microsoft's desktop operating systems here .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:29 PM

All replies

• This is the Windows Home Server forum. If you have a Windows Home Server computer, you can restore your other computer using the Home Computer Restore CD.

If you don't have a Windows Home Server computer, then you should seek assistance in a forum for your operating system. You'll find forums for all Microsoft's desktop operating systems here .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:29 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.  My home computer runs on Office XP, so another dumb question.  Does this qualify as a Windows home server computer?  Sorry for my ignorance, just a lack of familiarity and it's the first time trying to make a repair myself.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:44 PM
  • No. "Windows Home Server" is the operating system. Office XP is an application.
    You should really go to the forum Ken pointed to
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:54 PM