Cannot Repair or Remove Unhealthy Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed earlier in the week that it was taking 5 minutes or more for my laptop to boot up.  I would get the mouse arrow, but nothing but a black screen for a long time.  When Vista finally started, I got a critical health message from the WHS icon.  I was unable to connect through the console and not able to log on through the server itself.  I had to turn it off and back on again manually before I could access it. 

When it started again, I tried opening the console but first got the error message:

"The Windows Home Server Computer Backup service is not running.  Some Windows Home Server Console functions will not be available.  Please restart Windows Home Server.  If the problem persists contact Product Support."

I rebooted, tried to open the console, and got the same message so I proceeded through it.  When the console opened, it said my second drive (not the system drive) was unhealthy.  I have only two 320GB Seagate hard drives that are each about 4 months old. I tried the "Repair" option but got the following error at the end:

"An unexpected error has occurred in the Windows Home Server Storage Manager."

I turned off folder duplication, and now I have 63% free space, 30% used for Shared Folders, and the rest is System and PC Backups.  I clicked "Remove" to remove the drive but I get:

"Files and folders - Some files or folders will be permanently lost.
    "Computer Backups - All computer backups stored on your home server will be permanently lost."

All my important data is backed up elsewhere anyway so I just clicked "Finish" to try and remove the drive.  I then get:

"Files not moved - The wizard did not finish moving the files to the other server storage."

I tried clicking "Retry" but I get the same thing.  Ultimately I have to cancel and am left with an unhealthy drive.  I have rebooted several times and tried all the above steps but the problem exists each time.  I don't know if the drive is physically failing or if there are just disk errors.  I wanted to "Remove" it, reformat it, and then add it again but I can't actually get the system to let it go.

CAB Number from WHS: 352650945
    CAB Number from Vista Client PC: 352653839

The server is off right now, but I can turn it on for any additional information you might want.  If I can't remove the drive, I'll just do a clean install with reformatting of the drives.  I won't do that until I know that there is nothing else you need or want me to try.

Thanks,

John
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 9:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• I am now experiencing the same issue.  Did you end up fixing this or did you re-install?
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 3:17 AM
  • Some testers have reported success in removing a dying drive (usually with loss of any data still on that drive) by shutting down WHS and disconnecting the drive. WHS will complain when you restart, but apparently you can then remove the drive successfully.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 4:08 AM
  • I had to reinstall.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 11:39 AM
  • Hello, I am having the same issue. when you reinstalled did you end up losing the data?  Thanks.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 2:36 PM
  • The inability of WHS to deal with any type of disk errors seems to be a consistent theme. Backups fail if a drive is not in perfect condition, and now it seems removing drives won't work if they've got errors yet this seems to the time you would MOST want to remove a drive.

Plenty of other products can handle errors on disk drives. For example, Acronis Backup gives a warning when it finds a bad sector, but you can ignore it and do the backup anyway. Why doesn't WHS contain some provisions for dealing with damaged drives?
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 3:54 PM
  • I am having this problem as well... it's come down to either format and reinstall, which I am not very keen to do since otherwise, everything is running fine... or try something a little more drastic like just pulling the drive.

Here's a question:

When WHS reports a problem with a drive, is it smart enough to move all of the data off of it? Is that how this is supposed to work? I have a 500GB drive that is "failing" with over 900Gb of free space so all I'd really like to do is just remove it the bloody thing so the Console stops harassing me. *If* that's how WHS treats bad drives I will probably just yank it out and see what happens.

Thanks in advance,

Travis Bell
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 11:26 AM
  • Travis, you will want to remove the drive physically, boot your server, then use the console to remove the drive. Warning: if you have files in shares that are not duplicated, and those files reside on the failing drive, you will lose them. Also, if components of the backup database reside on the failing drive, you will lose your backup database. Finally, there was an update to Windows Home Server released recently that corrects an issue with this situation; you should make sure you install it before you remove the drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 11:52 AM
  • Ken Warren said:

Travis, you will want to remove the drive physically, boot your server, then use the console to remove the drive. Warning: if you have files in shares that are not duplicated, and those files reside on the failing drive, you will lose them. Also, if components of the backup database reside on the failing drive, you will lose your backup database. Finally, there was an update to Windows Home Server released recently that corrects an issue with this situation; you should make sure you install it before you remove the drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

One correction to Ken's post:  he linked to the MVP support site (which you probably don't have access to).  Here is the link for the general public.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 2:10 AM
  • Sounds good.

Could someone confirm for me whether WHS treats failing hard drives like I mentioned?

It would make sense that *if* there was enough free space to keep the drive empty, it should. I figured that since that is likely the case, it's a safe bet the drive is empty.

Oh, and to add to my suspicions, using 2 different tools in WHS results in 2 different answers which is why I ask.

Windows Disk Management

WHS Disk Management Add-in

Notice the difference in reported data... who do I trust!?

Thanks guys!
    Travis Bell
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:00 AM
  • travisbell said:

Sounds good.

Could someone confirm for me whether WHS treats failing hard drives like I mentioned?

No, it will not automatically move the data.  You need to go through the process of removing the drive through the Console in order for it to move the data.

travisbell said:

It would make sense that *if* there was enough free space to keep the drive empty, it should. I figured that since that is likely the case, it's a safe bet the drive is empty.

Oh, and to add to my suspicions, using 2 different tools in WHS results in 2 different answers which is why I ask.

Windows Disk Management

What version of the Disk Management add-in are you using?  Do you have Power Pack 1 installed?  Are you sure those are the same physical drives?  Can you please give details of each hard drive in your system?

travisbell said:

Thanks guys!

Travis Bell

• Proposed as answer by travisbell Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:14 AM
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:05 AM
  • Hey kariya,

First, I am surprised WHS wouldn't try to keep an "unhealthy" drive empty if it can (in my case, 900Gb free and only a 500GB drive). With all that balancing it does it wouldn't be hard.

Ya, it's definitely the right drive (I only have 1 500GB drive.)

I don't have PP1 installed because when installed it causes the duplication service to crash. I've been annoyed to say the least since every other part of my system is running fine. I think regardless what I am going to do is a re-install. I can make sure PP1 gets installed and remove this drive out of the mix. At that point. The hardest part is moving the 1.6TB to a temporary location but whatever, I'd prefer to sleep at night knowing my data is more reliable.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Travis Bell
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:14 AM
  • travisbell said:

Hey kariya,

First, I am surprised WHS wouldn't try to keep an "unhealthy" drive empty if it can (in my case, 900Gb free and only a 500GB drive). With all that balancing it does it wouldn't be hard.

Well, "balancing" is a terrible term that MS still needs to change.  It doesn't "balance" anything.  It migrates data (and after Power Pack 1 is installed, it doesn't even do that), duplicates data, runs checks on files (to see if they are locked), plus other functions.  Once data is on a drive (after PP1 is installed), DE doesn't move data anywhere unless you tell it to remove the drive that the data is on.

As for not storing data on an unhealthy drive... frankly, if a user knows a hard drive is unhealthy due to the warnings in the Console, the user should be pro-active and remove it, not leave it in there for days/weeks/months.  If they have problems leaving it as part of the pool after receiving the notifications and they ignore the warnings, they have no one to blame but themselves.

travisbell said:

Ya, it's definitely the right drive (I only have 1 500GB drive.)

I don't have PP1 installed because when installed it causes the duplication service to crash. I've been annoyed to say the least since every other part of my system is running fine. I think regardless what I am going to do is a re-install. I can make sure PP1 gets installed and remove this drive out of the mix. At that point. The hardest part is moving the 1.6TB to a temporary location but whatever, I'd prefer to sleep at night knowing my data is more reliable.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Travis Bell

I believe you should do a Server Reinstallation as well.  However, you don't have to move your data anywhere.  It will format the OS partition, but leave everything else alone.  Just make sure you select Server Reinstallation when you boot from the DVD (do not do New Installation as that will format everything).
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:26 AM
  • Fair enough. Although I am still a little worried about the reinstall vs. new install (guess years of working with computers will do that).

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

Travis Bell
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:31 AM
  • travisbell said:

Fair enough. Although I am still a little worried about the reinstall vs. new install (guess years of working with computers will do that).

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

Travis Bell

Well, I've tested the Server Reinstallation twice and everything worked fine for me.  I know others who post in this forum have had success as well.  Frankly, I always set up all my computers so that the OS is on it's own partition so if I ever need to reinstall, I wipe the OS partition and leave the rest where it belongs.  I've never had a problem once with those either.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:39 AM
  • Hey kariya,

Thought I would mention this, so I re-installed WHS last night... first thing I did upon getting in was install all updates including PP1 and it's doing the exact same fracking thing! I couldn't believe it. Sigh.

Upon WHS starting up demigrator.exe crashes and the the duplication service refuses to start.

On a side note, which is probably related... WHS Console thinks that 500GB drive I mentioned above is still part of the pool when I don't _really_ think it is since when I open up "My Computer" the 500GB is sitting  there with a drive letter.

If I copy the data from it, how can I "force" remove (I guess) the drive from the pool in the console so I can then try and re-add it?

-- OR --

Should I just copy all of my data and do a complete blank slate re-install?

Travis Bell
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:01 PM
  • travisbell said:

Hey kariya,

Thought I would mention this, so I re-installed WHS last night... first thing I did upon getting in was install all updates including PP1 and it's doing the exact same fracking thing! I couldn't believe it. Sigh.

Upon WHS starting up demigrator.exe crashes and the the duplication service refuses to start.

On a side note, which is probably related... WHS Console thinks that 500GB drive I mentioned above is still part of the pool when I don't _really_ think it is since when I open up "My Computer" the 500GB is sitting  there with a drive letter.

If I copy the data from it, how can I "force" remove (I guess) the drive from the pool in the console so I can then try and re-add it?

You should be able to remove the drive through the Console (whether it's connected or not).  The only difference between the 2 is if the drive isn't connected, it can't move the files from that drive somewhere else.

travisbell said:

-- OR --

Should I just copy all of my data and do a complete blank slate re-install?

Travis Bell

If you booted from the DVD and did Server Reinstallation, that should be enough to clear up any errors.  I suppose you could try a fresh New Installation, but I don't know if that will do much good either.

Can you please give details about your setup (specifically the hard drives)?  How many you have, the sizes, types (SATA or PATA), which one is the primary, etc?  Have you ran chkdsk /r on each drive to make sure they are all in good working order?
    Friday, October 17, 2008 2:43 AM
  • Ya, it was a server re-install with the OEM DVD... I couldn't believe that is still had the issue. It must have everything to do with this one drive that I just can't seem to get rid of. All I want to do is remove the bloody thing and everywhere I turn around I can't.

I have 6 drives, you can see them here.

4 SATA, 1 IDE and 1 USB. Pretty regular hardware, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM...

The only issues I have ever had is with this 1 drive which is fine, but I try to deal with it "pro actively" and can't ;) This is why I was wondering about the drive setup above.

Thanks man, I think I will copy all of my data off and just start from scratch... I need to get this damn 500GB drive out and as painful as it seems, the only way I can figure a way to do it is by starting from absolute scratch.

Thanks for all your help mate.

Travis Bell
    Friday, October 17, 2008 4:05 AM
  • travisbell said:

Ya, it was a server re-install with the OEM DVD... I couldn't believe that is still had the issue. It must have everything to do with this one drive that I just can't seem to get rid of. All I want to do is remove the bloody thing and everywhere I turn around I can't.

I have 6 drives, you can see them here.

4 SATA, 1 IDE and 1 USB. Pretty regular hardware, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM...

The only issues I have ever had is with this 1 drive which is fine, but I try to deal with it "pro actively" and can't ;) This is why I was wondering about the drive setup above.

Thanks man, I think I will copy all of my data off and just start from scratch... I need to get this damn 500GB drive out and as painful as it seems, the only way I can figure a way to do it is by starting from absolute scratch.

Thanks for all your help mate.

Travis Bell

Before you do that, I would suggest you follow Ken's earlier post (if you haven't done so yet):  Shut down the server, physically remove the drive from the server, power the server back up, then remove the drive through the Console (by selecting the drive in the Server Storage tab and clicking Remove on the menu options).  Have you tried that yet?  If so, what happened?

Friday, October 17, 2008 4:23 AM
  • travisbell said:

Sounds good.

Windows Disk Management

Thanks guys!

Travis Bell

Hi Travis

From WHS Disk Management Add-in, I can see that your disk have reached a temperature of 55 degrees Celsius. That is on the high side for your hard drive. You should consider some active cooling our put the HD elsewhere in the chassis. I have two WD GP750 drives which runs at around 30 degrees Celsius. It is pointless to replace your HD under such circumstances…

Regards,

Ole Martin

Friday, October 17, 2008 8:16 PM
  • Another update, if you're interested.

Pulled out the 500GB that was causing me trouble, rebooted and still couldn't remove it from the WHS console. It was complaining of file conflicts and wouldn't do it. I thought about it for a few and since this file conflict problem is new to PP1, uninstalled it, and attempted to remove it. Boom, it worked.

I then re-installed PP1 and to my surprise upon rebooting everything came back up like it should. demigrator is not crashing, and the backup service is working.

Now, it is complaining of missing files but that's no biggie cause' I got the hard drive right here and I'll just copy everything across.

RE: Ole's comment, I always thought that was hot too but it's bit like that for over a year and my case is wicked cool (current temps show around 24 degrees. Those drives just run hot for some reason... I will look at adding a fan or something to atleast help move any hot air around them.

Thanks to everyone for their help, I think I am finally on the way to getting everything sorted.

Travis Bell
    Friday, October 17, 2008 10:16 PM