Shared Folders not Refreshing after PP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all, sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't find anything about it when searching...

I've had my WHS running for a little over a week. I just installed PP1 a couple days ago, and since then I've noticed some weirdness in browsing the Shared Folders: if I move or rename files, it works correctly, but the change doesn't show up until I hit F5 (refresh). For instance, I moved some Service Pack files between a couple shared folders, and after the transfer completed, they still appeared to be in the old folder, and the new folder appeared to be empty. I hit F5 in both windows, and everything looks right again.

I can reproduce this consistently by simply changing the name of a file or folder. Under Vista, this results in the file/folder disappearing from the list (until you hit F5). Under XP, it results in no change ... that is, it still shows the old file/folder name until you hit F5 (this is even true if I connect to it as a mapped drive in XP).  Rebooting WHS and the client doesn't change anything.

I swear that I never saw this behavior until I installed PP1, and I was moving/deleting/renaming a lot of files and folders when I first installed the server...

Can you all confirm this behavior, and/or know how it can be put back to normal?

Thanks,
    -Bob_2k

P.S. Installed Add-ins include MS Toolkit, Event Viewer, and Advanced Admin Console. I've also tried Disk Management and Duplication Info (the former I don't need regularly; the latter doesn't work in PP1 yet). These were all installed after PP1 and could also potentially be the cause, I suppose.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:14 AM

All replies

•  Bob_2k wrote:
    Hello all, sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't find anything about it when searching...

I've had my WHS running for a little over a week. I just installed PP1 a couple days ago, and since then I've noticed some weirdness in browsing the Shared Folders: if I move or rename files, it works correctly, but the change doesn't show up until I hit F5 (refresh). For instance, I moved some Service Pack files between a couple shared folders, and after the transfer completed, they still appeared to be in the old folder, and the new folder appeared to be empty. I hit F5 in both windows, and everything looks right again.

I can reproduce this consistently by simply changing the name of a file or folder. Under Vista, this results in the file/folder disappearing from the list (until you hit F5). Under XP, it results in no change ... that is, it still shows the old file/folder name until you hit F5 (this is even true if I connect to it as a mapped drive in XP).  Rebooting WHS and the client doesn't change anything.

I swear that I never saw this behavior until I installed PP1, and I was moving/deleting/renaming a lot of files and folders when I first installed the server...

Can you all confirm this behavior, and/or know how it can be put back to normal?

Thanks,
    -Bob_2k

P.S. Installed Add-ins include MS Toolkit, Event Viewer, and Advanced Admin Console. I've also tried Disk Management and Duplication Info (the former I don't need regularly; the latter doesn't work in PP1 yet). These were all installed after PP1 and could also potentially be the cause, I suppose.

I've seen that happen once in a while before installing PP1, I haven't seen it at all since installing PP1.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:22 AM
  •  

Hmm, well like I said, I never saw it before PP1.  Maybe it's just a coincidence and something else triggered it.  Whatever the case, it's been like this consistently for several days now, through reboots and everything.  Does anyone know how to fix it?
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 11:50 AM
  • Same problem for me !
    I can't say if it is from PP1 or not, because it is a new install, directly with PP1.

I uninstalled all add-ons : No changes after reboot...

Any idea ?
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 2:05 PM
  • Found something : I'm really not sure because my "workaround" seems very strange.... :

On my WHS console in my preferences, I disabled "Partage de fichiers multimedia" (="Multimedia files sharing" ?) for "Musique, "Photos" ans "Vidéos".

Now the refresh (for example when rotating an image file) works fine, on XP or Vista clients.....

Can anybody confirm that ?....
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 4:01 PM
  • FWIW, I already had Media file sharing disabled on my system when the problem occurred.

It seems to just be some random issue.  One month (and a set of windows updates, a RAM upgrade (640MB->1664MB), and related reboots) later, the issue seems to have simply disappeared for me (on both XP and Vista clients).  No idea what caused it (I just noticed it after the PP1 upgrade) or what fixed it, but it's gone now.

-Bob_2k
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 4:43 PM