I need to update the fields in the existing records in CRM 2011 conline

Is this can be done?

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Pradnya07

• Edited by Simran08 Friday, January 18, 2013 3:38 PM 1
    Friday, January 18, 2013 3:37 PM

Answers

• Really your best option is to first export the records from CRM that you want to edit - look for the Excel icon on view or the Advanced Find window.

At the bottom of the resulting window with the export options, there will be a check box to make the data available for re-importing.

Export with this option.

Make your data edits in this file - unique identifiers for the records are embedded in the file.

Re-import by navigating to Settings -> Data Management -> Imports -> Import Data (top) and chose the same file.

There really isn't OOB functionality to just import and update data without using this method short of creating a custom application using the SDK or using a third party tool.

Jason Lattimer
    My Blog -  Follow me on Twitter -  LinkedIn

Friday, January 18, 2013 4:21 PM

All replies

• Can you elaborate a bit more on the specifics of what you want to update? I'm assuming you are looking to do something more than editing a record through the standard interface.

If you are looking to update multiple records in bulk you can select multiple records from a view and chose the Edit option from the ribbon and update a fields across multiple records in one shot - this does have some limitations though.

You can also use the Export option from a View or Advanced find - it will give the results in Excel - while specifying the export, you will have the option to make the data available to re-import - if you do this, you can modify the data in Excel and then re-import it back and update the existing records. 

Jason Lattimer

Friday, January 18, 2013 3:45 PM
  • Hi Jason;

Thanks for your reply

I need to update bulk records with differrent data

I have my csv file ready

Your  3rd option is near to my answer but i need to update the existing records

how do i re-import it back and update the existing records.  ?

Pradnya07

Friday, January 18, 2013 3:53 PM
  • Really your best option is to first export the records from CRM that you want to edit - look for the Excel icon on view or the Advanced Find window.

At the bottom of the resulting window with the export options, there will be a check box to make the data available for re-importing.

Export with this option.

Make your data edits in this file - unique identifiers for the records are embedded in the file.

Re-import by navigating to Settings -> Data Management -> Imports -> Import Data (top) and chose the same file.

There really isn't OOB functionality to just import and update data without using this method short of creating a custom application using the SDK or using a third party tool.

Jason Lattimer

Friday, January 18, 2013 4:21 PM
  • Thanks a load

Pradnya07

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:09 AM