Virtual server 2005 on Vail Beta RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to install Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 (32 and 64 bit) on WHS Vail, It comes up with the program compatibility assistant saying that setup.exe is incompatible. I have tried to disable the assistant, however it still comes up every time I try to install. Is this an actual incompatibility, or does the installer have strict installation requirements? Has anyone found a way around this? I was able to install an older version of Virtual Server but halfway through, a compatibility assistant popped up saying that vssrvc is incompatible. The installation finishes, but the admin website does not work (vssrvc is incompatible and does not start I guess). The program compatibility assistant pops up when I try to manually start vssrvc. I do not see it in the list of services.

Also, another thing I have noticed is that the system information shows that i have 4.00 GB (3.25 GB usable). Is there any reason why windows knows about the extra .75 GB and is not using it? The video card has it's own 128 mb ram onboard, and to my knowledge does not take more from the system.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Friday, July 2, 2010 2:09 AM

Answers

• Thanks for everyone's input. I've found both of the answers. Neither of them were problems with WHS Vail.

Inside the group policy editor, there are more items that need to be enabled/disabled.

bring up the local Group Policy editor and Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Application Compatibility\ and enable ***ALL*** of the “Turn off” entries.

Then go to the Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Troubleshooting and Diagnostics\Application Compatibility Diagnostics\ folder and disable ***ALL*** of the entries there.

Reboot the computer. Once that is done, install virtual server 2005. There shouldnt be any notifications. From there, configure the IIS role to also handle CGI (or else the server page wont load). Then, add a windows firewall entry for vssrvc.exe (will need to manually find). Once that is all done, virtual server 2005 works PERFECTLY. I guess it would never install because it didnt recognize the OS, and microsoft doesnt want it to be installed on un-tested OS'es

As far as the memory issue, the BIOS was taking away 768 megs from the total memory, but it wasnt being mapped specificially for video. I have an ASUS board, and instead of calling it "memory remap", it was called "Memory Hole". Once I enabled this feature, all of the memory was availible. This board had windows 7 x64, and I had never noticed this problem before, so I thought it was a vail issue.

• Marked as answer by Chris Dietz Sunday, July 4, 2010 7:07 AM
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 7:07 AM

All replies

• When I try to install Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 (32 and 64 bit) on WHS Vail, It comes up with the program compatibility assistant saying that setup.exe is incompatible. I have tried to disable the assistant, however it still comes up every time I try to install. Is this an actual incompatibility, or does the installer have strict installation requirements? Has anyone found a way around this? I was able to install an older version of Virtual Server but halfway through, a compatibility assistant popped up saying that vssrvc is incompatible. The installation finishes, but the admin website does not work (vssrvc is incompatible and does not start I guess). The program compatibility assistant pops up when I try to manually start vssrvc. I do not see it in the list of services.

Also, another thing I have noticed is that the system information shows that i have 4.00 GB (3.25 GB usable). Is there any reason why windows knows about the extra .75 GB and is not using it? The video card has it's own 128 mb ram onboard, and to my knowledge does not take more from the system.

I can only speculate on your first question (I haven't tried installing anything on Vail since it's unsupported).  But my guess is that since the underlying OS (Server 2008 R2) and Hyper-V can work "together" on full server installs, that it somehow blocks VS2005 installs (but since I haven't tinkered with 2008 R2, I'm just guessing  :)  ).

As for the other part, that definitely sounds like your mobo is taking 768 MB of RAM for video (that's typically how it's displayed in Win7).  You should check your BIOS to make sure it's not taking any portion of RAM for video.

Friday, July 2, 2010 4:57 AM
  • When I try to install Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 (32 and 64 bit) on WHS Vail, It comes up with the program compatibility assistant saying that setup.exe is incompatible.

Please see the list of Supported Operating Systems for Virtual Server 2005 R2.
    You can not install Virtual Server 2005 R2 on VAIL as the underlying OS (wich is Windows Server 2008) is not supported.

I think that even if you could work around the setup failing to install, VS2005 will not work as it is incompatible.
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Friday, July 2, 2010 10:20 PM
  • It isn't that the motherboard is taking 768 Mb of RAM for video. It is that a the motherboard, video card and attached peripherals are taking 768 Mb of virtual memory address space for themselves, and this blocks access to some of the RAM on the motherboard, since it doesn't have an address. The workaround is to change the BIOS to use virtual address space above the 4 GB limit. The phrasing is a bit different on each BIOS, but look for something about memory remap and enable the setting. This is only possible because VAIL is a 64-bit operating system. On WHS v1 you couldn't do it.

Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
      "kariya21 [MVP]" wrote in message news:ad79bbc1-d17d-472b-8335-a564e1632f91@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

When I try to install Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 (32 and 64 bit) on WHS Vail, It comes up with the program compatibility assistant saying that setup.exe is incompatible. I have tried to disable the assistant, however it still comes up every time I try to install. Is this an actual incompatibility, or does the installer have strict installation requirements? Has anyone found a way around this? I was able to install an older version of Virtual Server but halfway through, a compatibility assistant popped up saying that vssrvc is incompatible. The installation finishes, but the admin website does not work (vssrvc is incompatible and does not start I guess). The program compatibility assistant pops up when I try to manually start vssrvc. I do not see it in the list of services.

Also, another thing I have noticed is that the system information shows that i have 4.00 GB (3.25 GB usable). Is there any reason why windows knows about the extra .75 GB and is not using it? The video card has it's own 128 mb ram onboard, and to my knowledge does not take more from the system.

I can only speculate on your first question (I haven't tried installing anything on Vail since it's unsupported). But my guess is that since the underlying OS (Server 2008 R2) and Hyper-V can work "together" on full server installs, that it somehow blocks VS2005 installs (but since I haven't tinkered with 2008 R2, I'm just guessing :) ).

As for the other part, that definitely sounds like your mobo is taking 768 MB of RAM for video (that's typically how it's displayed in Win7). You should check your BIOS to make sure it's not taking any portion of RAM for video.

Charlie. http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 1:25 PM
  • Thanks for everyone's input. I've found both of the answers. Neither of them were problems with WHS Vail.

Inside the group policy editor, there are more items that need to be enabled/disabled.

bring up the local Group Policy editor and Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Application Compatibility\ and enable ***ALL*** of the “Turn off” entries.

Then go to the Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Troubleshooting and Diagnostics\Application Compatibility Diagnostics\ folder and disable ***ALL*** of the entries there.

Reboot the computer. Once that is done, install virtual server 2005. There shouldnt be any notifications. From there, configure the IIS role to also handle CGI (or else the server page wont load). Then, add a windows firewall entry for vssrvc.exe (will need to manually find). Once that is all done, virtual server 2005 works PERFECTLY. I guess it would never install because it didnt recognize the OS, and microsoft doesnt want it to be installed on un-tested OS'es

As far as the memory issue, the BIOS was taking away 768 megs from the total memory, but it wasnt being mapped specificially for video. I have an ASUS board, and instead of calling it "memory remap", it was called "Memory Hole". Once I enabled this feature, all of the memory was availible. This board had windows 7 x64, and I had never noticed this problem before, so I thought it was a vail issue.

• Marked as answer by Chris Dietz Sunday, July 4, 2010 7:07 AM
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 7:07 AM