Little help, recovering from server hardware failure. RRS feed

• Question

• So you see... I kind need some help.
    The primary/first hard disk in my home server died. It was a 200GB SATA drive, I had a secondary 200GB SATA and a 1TB Sata as well. All of my photos, ripped music, etc. are/were on the server. Ha, so yeah - kinda pretty critical. I remember seeing the same percent allocated to 'duplication' as was allocated to 'shared folders' (I think that's what it was), so am I right in thinking that there would be a duplicate copy of all my photos and stuff on one of the other harddisks? Maybe...? Hopefully...? Please...? :(
    If this is so, and I buy a replacement hard disk - how then do I go about restoring WHS to its former glory, so as to say...

Thanks guys,
    Nicko.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 11:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Nicko,
    please check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    In theory it should be enough to replace the failed disk and perform a server reinstallation. (If this get offered and runs, you may have to be patient, since the rebuilding of the tombstones stored on drive D: can take a long time without visible indicator.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, July 10, 2009 1:03 PM
  • Little question, does it matter if I get a larger HDD than the original - as they no longer seem to sell any that size :P

Thanks again.

No it doesn't matter.  Just make sure that select Server Reinstallation from the drop-down menu.  (Don't choose the other option, New Installation, as that will format all of your hard drives.)
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Nicko,
    please check the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    In theory it should be enough to replace the failed disk and perform a server reinstallation. (If this get offered and runs, you may have to be patient, since the rebuilding of the tombstones stored on drive D: can take a long time without visible indicator.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, July 10, 2009 1:03 PM
  • Ah, thank you very much!
    Fingers-crossed.
    :)
    Friday, July 10, 2009 1:04 PM
  • Little question, does it matter if I get a larger HDD than the original - as they no longer seem to sell any that size :P

Thanks again.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 1:14 PM

Thanks again.

No it doesn't matter.  Just make sure that select Server Reinstallation from the drop-down menu.  (Don't choose the other option, New Installation, as that will format all of your hard drives.)
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:09 PM
  • Will remember, thanks.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:30 PM