Is there a limit to the number of drives you can add to Windows Home Server or a storage space limit? RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have 11 hard drives attached to my hp windows home server and a total of 8.41 TB of storage.  I use this for a media server.  I attached a 12th drive and the computer itself sees the drive but when I go to the windows home server console the drive is not listed under storage drives tab.  Because of this I can not add it to the available storage.
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:06 PM

Answers

• I am sure, there is a limit, but this may not so much depend from the server than from the controllers and their drivers and maybe the WHS software.
    Seems people in the forums  had also trouble with certain drives with much less storage attached. Btw. I find it a little bit crazy how much more server storage seems to be needed in private home environment than in corporate environment.
    Is the drive you did attach now a duplicate from another one, which you already have? (Same model, same connector ...)
    You also did not say which kind - external, internal, controller type etc.
    Are there any errors or warnings listed in the event log of the server?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, September 22, 2008 7:03 AM

All replies

• I am sure, there is a limit, but this may not so much depend from the server than from the controllers and their drivers and maybe the WHS software.
    Seems people in the forums  had also trouble with certain drives with much less storage attached. Btw. I find it a little bit crazy how much more server storage seems to be needed in private home environment than in corporate environment.
    Is the drive you did attach now a duplicate from another one, which you already have? (Same model, same connector ...)
    You also did not say which kind - external, internal, controller type etc.
    Are there any errors or warnings listed in the event log of the server?
    Olaf
    Monday, September 22, 2008 7:03 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, I added a usb external Iomega 1TB drive.  This is the second usb external Iomega 1TB drive that I have added.  They are the same model number.  Windows Home Server say the first one just fine.  To trouble shoot I plugged in a extra 250GB drive that I had and Windows Home Server did not see that drive either.  In the past it had seen this drive but I have never actually used it in the Home Server.
    Monday, September 22, 2008 2:56 PM
  • You say, the computer sees the drive. Where? In disk management or in Windows Explorer?
    Can you regulary access it (create partition, format, open files), if it is attached to the server?
    If not, it could be, that your USB hardware is on the limit with the other drives already attached. So that the device manager or disk management still sees the drive, but there is not enough power or whatever remaining to spin it up or controll it (that would be the effect on a 2.5" disk without own power supply only supported via power from USB).
    But this is pure speculation.

For this amount of drives an external SATA storage unit holding multiple disks could make sense.
    Olaf
    Monday, September 22, 2008 8:20 PM
  •  All the hard drives are self powered.  Also I can see the drives in the disk management and windows explorer and can use the drives through there.  Just not seen through the home server software.

thanks,

Gregg
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:25 AM
  • Hi Gregg,
    it seems, if the second drive is an exact clone of the first one or already has been part of the WHS configuration before, you will run into the described difficulties.
    What you can do is the following:
    • Copy all data away from the disk, if necessary.
    • Open a command prompt on the machine, which has the drive connected (could be WHS or any machine with Vista or Windows XP).
    • Enter following commands:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x
    (replace the x with the number of that external drive, which was in the result list of the command before)
    clean (Attention! This will remove all partitions and rewrite the MBR on the disk, so be sure, you have selected the correct disk.)
    exit

• Try now again to spot the disk in the WHS console.

Olaf

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:42 AM