Intermittent Disconnecting On LAN RRS feed

• Question

• I've been experiencing a frustrating intermittent disconnection from the WHS several times a day.  I typically notice this when a notification message pops up on my desktop saying I'm "No Longer Connected To Offline Files".  If I'm listening to music on my notebook while working it quits too.

Generally within moments - seconds to minutes - the Offline Files status changes and says that the server is once again available, and the music is available for reconnect.  So it doesn't appear that this is any type of major issue - it just seems that something cycles and the connection is momentarily lost.  However this momentary loss becomes problematic when streaming music, and even more problematic when running software accessing files that are designated as offline files and are constantly updating (db & accounting software) since when they go to make incremental updates the storage source is no longer available.

This happens both when I'm using wireless access and hard wired access.

When this happens, the WHS server icon in my tray still glows green and I can still connect to the WHS via the WHS Software.

Any thoughts on troubleshooting & solving this?
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:21 PM

Answers

• NIC's powersaving features have never been enabled - I made sure to turn them off when I installed the OS.

Turns out this was likely associated with the use of offline files.  I turned off the offline files feature, and bought a different sync solution to take it's place

Ever since things have been much better. 

I really wish offline files would work better since it's really nice when it works but not worth the continuous disconnect problems when on the network.
    Monday, March 31, 2008 3:47 PM

All replies

• I don't know about the connection issues. BUT DON"T WORK ON ACCOUNTING PROGRAMS WHERE THE DATA IS STORED ON THE SERVER. BOTH MONEY AND QUICKEN WARN AGAINST THIS AND WHS HAS A KNOWN ISSUE WITH CORRUPTION OF FILES THAT USE INCREMENTAL UPDATES.

That said check your network drivers on the pc in question for updates.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:32 PM
  • Interesting.  I had heard something about the issue that you mentioned, but I thought it was software specific.  I guess I'll need to find a solution that takes the data off the WHS - though ironically this sort of application is a major reason for having a server in the first place, so both my wife and I can work independently on the data, though not necessarily at the same time.  But I guess that's not a new observation.

Network drivers are up to date on the NIC on both the client and server.

Assuming that I discontinue the use of the incremental update applications, what are other ideas for solving the temporary disconnection issue when I'm just streaming files?
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:03 PM
  • Hi,

You could check the properties of the NIC to ensure that they don't have any powersaving options enabled.

The possible data corruption bug is in this KB article.

HTH,

Colin

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:46 PM
  • NIC's powersaving features have never been enabled - I made sure to turn them off when I installed the OS.

Turns out this was likely associated with the use of offline files.  I turned off the offline files feature, and bought a different sync solution to take it's place

Ever since things have been much better. 

I really wish offline files would work better since it's really nice when it works but not worth the continuous disconnect problems when on the network.
    Monday, March 31, 2008 3:47 PM