0xc004f050 error now an activation issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP laptop that has been running fine for the last eight months.
    Running Vista Home Prem. SP1
    Just the other day it decided that I did not have a valid key.
    Upon starting the machine I got three choices:
    1) Start reduce functionality which would just open a ie browser to tell me that I needed to activate windows.
    2) Type in different key
    3) Call HP

I typed in the key from the COA and I got 0xc004f050 error
    I called HP and they told me to call Microsoft... Microsoft gets me to call HP

HP gives me some, 5, different keys and then I would get an error message that the keys were not valid Vista Keys, but not the 0xc004f050 error.
    HP asked me to do a restore to 1 week before when it was working and that did not help
    I had to boot into safe mode to do the restore.

I then took a look at
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/95cf88d0-451a-44a3-b6d9-6245f0961d0b

and followed those instructions

I now have a major issue
    When I boot in normal mode I just get a pop up window that's telling me to Reinstall windows "Windows must be reinstalled to activate. Insert the windows installations dvd to begin the reinstallation process." Close is my option which the take me to my login icon, click on it and I get the same thing.
    When I boot in safe mode I get a desktop.
    When I boot into safe mode with networking I get Windows Activation pop up "restart your computer in normal mode to activate Windows Your activation period has expired. Restart your computer computer in normal mode to activate Windows" Close is my option taking me to my login icon.

I have noticed that a diag report is wanted but I can not get to the internet now.

Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:43 PM

Answers

• Hey Tony,

We may have to resolve to the reformatting option Tony :(. We are seeing more of the "The Software Licensing Service has stopped (and won't restart)" issue recently. Although the Software Licensing Service, itself, is part of the WGA sub-system, the process for starting and stopping services is a Core Vista system and would normally be supported by Vista Support. However this issue is affecting the Genuine status of our users, I would be nice to get to the bottom of why this is happening.

We have found that we can categorize this into sub-issues by the error message the user gets when he/she tries to restart the Service. We currently know the reason (and the fix) for the "System Error 3" and "System Error 2" types, but we do not have much information on your "System Error 5" type.

This brings me to the options I mentioned.

1) You can create a (no cost) Service Request http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 , and work (by email) with a WGA Support Engineer to troubleshoot the issue. The goals of this option would be to first, find out as much information on this variation of the issue, and then, try to fix the issue on your computer.

Pro: You would be helping us understand and develop a fix for this issue.

Con: It will, most likely, take longer to finally resolve you issue, then the other options.

2) You can go to http://support.microsoft.com  and contact Vista support for assistance. The goal of this option would be solely to resolve your issue.

Pro: Probably faster resolution then option 1). Hopefully resolution would not involve reinstalling Vista.

Con: Since you are using a Retail copy of Vista, you may still be under the Free Support period, but if the no-cost support period has expired, any support they provided would, most likely, be paid support.

3) You could reinstall Vista. The goal of this option is to get you resolved as quickly as possible.

Pro: Fastest resolution

Con: Having to backup all your important files, reinstalling all your applications, resetting all your setting back to the way you want them and so on.

If you decide on Option 1, thank you for assisting us in getting an understanding of this issue.

If you decide on one of the other options, good luck and please accept my apologies for me not being able to resolve the issue for you.

Thank you Tony and sorry I don't have any further guidance :( 

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:08 AM
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:08 AM

All replies

• Morning Tony,

Thank you for visiting our Vista Forum today. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1.      Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.

2.      Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

If you could also please follow the steps outlined below, the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Step 2 is to look on the computer itself, in the documentation you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Thanks for replying Stephen

I a little confused.

You ask to confirm GA by going to a webpage I can not since I can not use the internet.
    The only thing I can do is login using safe mode.

Here is MGA Diag (from safe mode)
    Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Validation Code: 50
    Online Validation Code: 0x80070426
    Cached Validation Code: N/A, hr = 0x80070426
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-27HYQ-XTKW2-WQD8Q
    Windows Product Key Hash: U8YEZzymoD4DMyaMb32rPrNIS90=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7332157-00061
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003
    ID: {35FF88B1-7160-4DA8-A464-DBAF39216543}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 6.0.6002.16398

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 103 Blocked VLK
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 103 Blocked VLK
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3_FCEE394C-2890-80004005_B4D0AA8B-941-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings:
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls:
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls:
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins:
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe:
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control:
    Active scripting:
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting:

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{35FF88B1-7160-4DA8-A464-DBAF39216543}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.1</Version><OS>6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-WQD8Q</PKey><PID>89578-OEM-7332157-00061</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-4018661912-2311704558-4192365010</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>Compaq Presario C700 Notebook PC</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>F.34</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080925000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>A7023007018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>1009</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>HPQOEM</OEMID><OEMTableID>SLIC-MPC</OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>103</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>103</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57281</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="103"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="103"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="103"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="103"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="103"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="103"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="103"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software Licensing service is not running.

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: LgAAAAEAAwABAAIAAQAAAAAAAAABAAEAJJTiwmDu8i7GyEaDghH8U8JQ8vQqhQ==

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20000
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:

(Step2)
    1. Windows Vista Home Premium

2. Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct
        HP
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 11:49 PM
  • Hello Tony,

The problem is that your Vista's Software Licensing Service has stopped. Vista uses this service to check itself and confirm it is Genuine. When the service is stopped, Vista is unable to confirm it's own Genuine status and may show Genuine or Non-Genuine. The fact that the Service has stopped is also, most likely, the cause of other issues you may be experiencing (such as not having access to the Control Panel).

Normally this is not a big problem, since you can just restart the Service. However, we have seen a number of users that receive an error when they attempt to restart the Service. This indicates a more serious 'root cause' to the service having stopped.

What I would like you to do is to try to restart the service using the 'Service Restart' steps, below. If the service won't restart, you will receive an error.

Service Restart steps:

(If you have access to the Start button):

1)    Click the Start button

2)    Type: cmd in the Start Search field

3)    At the top the Start window, you will see cmd.exe

4)    Right Click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5)    Type: net start slsvc

(If you do not have access to the Start button):

1)    Click the option that launches an Internet Browser

2)    A Browser will open, type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3)    Find the file cmd.exe

4)    Right Click on the cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5)    Type: net start slsvc

A)   If the error message is "System Error 3, The system cannot find the path specified." or "System Error 2, The system cannot find the file specified" then go to the main Vista Validation forum page http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/threads/, look in the announcement section and follow the steps found in thread "Fix for ‘Software Licensing service Has Stopped’ on some Vista 64bit systems"

B)    If you get any other error, please follow and answer the below steps and questions

What was the Full error message, you received, when you attempted to restart the Service?

Have you recently installed or replaced any Hardware or Software?

Do you have any Registry Cleaner software installed?  (include the name and version)

Do you have a Anti-Virus program that is up-to-date with all updates and signature files?

If so, run a complete scan. Did it find anything?

Also go to http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm and run a complete scan using the OneCare Safety Scan for Windows Vista. Did it find anything?

Stephen

Friday, May 15, 2009 12:12 AM
  • Hello Stephen

I logged in as admin in safe mode.
    Ran cdm as admin.

I get an error message "System error 1084 has occurred. This service cannot be started in safe mode"
    Back to the prompt.

No changes to the system
    No reg software.
    Using bit defender total security 2008
    The hard drive was scanned outside the system and nothing was found.
    I can not go to one care live or any other web page since I can not connect to the web.

Thanks again

ps.
    not to jump the gun but I'm I better off to just factory reformat the hard drive?
    I just do not want to go through the reloading and setting up of the machine.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 4:14 PM
  • Hey Tony,

Well I would like to use the factory reformat as the last resolution. Believe me I totally understand how much work is involved with reformatting. I reformate at least once a year myself just cause :-). Curious have you ever had a virus or has your computer ever gave potential signs of one? Also do you have any other anti-malware programs you could use to scan your system? Also does Bit Defender have different settings which you can use to scan with? Sometimes there are various scan settings which AV programs can perform. Check and run all of them. Usually if I think something may be wrong I will run the AV like three times. 

Try this and let us know.

Thank you Tony,

Stephen
    Friday, May 15, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Hello Stephen

Thanks for understanding.
    Nothing out of the ordinary.
    I have scan it with bit defender and Kaspersky they both came back as clean.
    I did a scan with the system a few days before the error, but again nothing.
    This is why I scan it outside.
    I'll try one more program outside and see what happens and get back to you.

Thanks
    Friday, May 15, 2009 5:02 PM
  • Well I tried a malware scan and found nothing
    Friday, May 15, 2009 11:30 PM
  • Hey Tony,

We may have to resolve to the reformatting option Tony :(. We are seeing more of the "The Software Licensing Service has stopped (and won't restart)" issue recently. Although the Software Licensing Service, itself, is part of the WGA sub-system, the process for starting and stopping services is a Core Vista system and would normally be supported by Vista Support. However this issue is affecting the Genuine status of our users, I would be nice to get to the bottom of why this is happening.

We have found that we can categorize this into sub-issues by the error message the user gets when he/she tries to restart the Service. We currently know the reason (and the fix) for the "System Error 3" and "System Error 2" types, but we do not have much information on your "System Error 5" type.

This brings me to the options I mentioned.

1) You can create a (no cost) Service Request http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 , and work (by email) with a WGA Support Engineer to troubleshoot the issue. The goals of this option would be to first, find out as much information on this variation of the issue, and then, try to fix the issue on your computer.

Pro: You would be helping us understand and develop a fix for this issue.

Con: It will, most likely, take longer to finally resolve you issue, then the other options.

2) You can go to http://support.microsoft.com  and contact Vista support for assistance. The goal of this option would be solely to resolve your issue.

Pro: Probably faster resolution then option 1). Hopefully resolution would not involve reinstalling Vista.

Con: Since you are using a Retail copy of Vista, you may still be under the Free Support period, but if the no-cost support period has expired, any support they provided would, most likely, be paid support.

3) You could reinstall Vista. The goal of this option is to get you resolved as quickly as possible.

Pro: Fastest resolution

Con: Having to backup all your important files, reinstalling all your applications, resetting all your setting back to the way you want them and so on.

If you decide on Option 1, thank you for assisting us in getting an understanding of this issue.

If you decide on one of the other options, good luck and please accept my apologies for me not being able to resolve the issue for you.

Thank you Tony and sorry I don't have any further guidance :( 

Stephen

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:08 AM
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:08 AM
  • Hi Stephen

Well I liked to thank you for taking the time out to help me.

I think I'm going to go with option 3, the reason for that is that I have been with out a computer for 2 weeks.
    I really need to get back on it.

Thanks again
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 3:20 PM