Windows 7 Product Key Failure RRS feed

• Question

• My son just installed a new hard drive into his computer and bought a new Windows 7 OS and installed it, now it is saying that the product key is invalid and he has copied it correctlynseveral times and no other information is given - HELP!!!!! Please, my son has worked hard to pay for these things and the frustration is getting to him. He owns an HP Pavillion dv7-1245 dx Entertainment PC. The original  hard drive had Windows Vista but this new hard drive was completely clean.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 1:27 AM

Answers

• Look at the retail packaging, and the sticker that has the product key on it. Does it say upgrade? If so that is your problem, the upgrade key will not work on a clean install, if windows is allready installed simply put the windows dvd back in, wait for the menu to popup and then start the installation (installation must be started in windows) select upgrade or clean install and insert the key.

I know doing another install is not a lot of fun but upgrade installations must be started from within windows.

A clean install will replace your existing installation, the upgrade installation will keep all settings and programs from the first install.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 1:40 AM
  • Please contact Microsoft Support for assistance: 1-866-234-6020
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, March 15, 2010 1:42 AM

All replies

• Look at the retail packaging, and the sticker that has the product key on it. Does it say upgrade? If so that is your problem, the upgrade key will not work on a clean install, if windows is allready installed simply put the windows dvd back in, wait for the menu to popup and then start the installation (installation must be started in windows) select upgrade or clean install and insert the key.

I know doing another install is not a lot of fun but upgrade installations must be started from within windows.

A clean install will replace your existing installation, the upgrade installation will keep all settings and programs from the first install.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 1:40 AM
  • Please contact Microsoft Support for assistance: 1-866-234-6020
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, March 15, 2010 1:42 AM