How Home server manage disks RRS feed

• Question

• sorry for my bad English.

I have 3 disks of data, 2 X 1T Hitachi 7200 and 1 X WD green Power 5400
    By means of miscellaneous add-on, I have to notice that HS puts files firstly on a hitachi and WD 
    Hitachi 1 = 2 % to use
     WD = 29 % to use
     Hitachi 2 = 29 % to use

When I reads remote videos, it is the WD which goes(takes) up in bandwidth and not Hitachi
    In brief HS use firstly the WD and a hitachi and seems to read that on the WD which is only one 5400 while the others are 7200 and of better thus performances
    It does not arrange(settle) me.

How HS decide on the use of such or such disk and how modify these parameters?
    Monday, August 31, 2009 7:00 PM

All replies

• First, your last question: it's not possible to modify the way Windows Home Server chooses which disk to place a file on. There are some (unsupported) ways to get Windows Home Server to move data around, but even then you can't target specific disks for where a particular piece of data goes. You can only force your server to move data off of a particular disk. In any case, other latencies and bottlenecks in your server, network, and client computer are likely to dwarf the performance impact of using a slower disk vs. a faster one.

As for how disks are managed, the information that Microsoft publishes is contained in the Drive Extender technical brief.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 31, 2009 7:21 PM