Live Onecare RRS feed

• Question

•  

I got one of those free 1 year subscriptions, but after I put it in, it said that it's going to cancel in June.  I only put on my computer about a month or two ago.  Why would it cancel if it was supposed to be a free YEAR?
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:32 AM

Answers

• If you are in possession of a 1 year gift subscription card, it has a key on the card that must be used to activate your subscription. The instructions are on the card. You must subscribe from within OneCare with a LiveID and provide the key/token from the card or activate on the web and then click the subscribe link in OneCare to associate the installed trial with your subscription. All installs of OneCare start out as a trial until you subscribe or activate.

-steve

Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:33 PM

All replies

• I'm just a regular user, not a moderator or Microsoft employee, but I have been using OneCare since its early beta stages in 2005, so I will try to answer.

As far as I know, there are no free one-year subscriptions currently. They had been offered if you were a beta tester for the original version (1.0, which I was), or the current version (2.0). The free trial currently offered by Microsoft is for 60 days after which, if you like it, you can subscribe for a year at $49.95 (you can install it on an additional 2 PC's with one subscription, for 3 total machines). Since you indicated that you put it on your machine a month or two ago, this seems likely.

When you open OneCare is there a notice to Activate or Subscribe? If so, click the button and follow the instructutions to subscribe when your trial expires (you can do this before than if you like). After you subscribe, you get a full one-year cycle starting on the day you activate and pay for your subscription.

Did someone you know with an exisiting subscription install OneCare on your machine? If so, you could be sharing a subscription (since it's tied to a Windows Live ID, not a name). That could also explain the short notice, but it is more likely a trial from your description.

Also, any version of OneCare installed on the machine will be the most recent, as OneCare is designed to update itself through automated delivery of updates, so there are no old and new versions co-existing. Whenever you decide to convert your trial, if you do, you will have the current version.

Hope this helps!

Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:09 AM
  • If you are in possession of a 1 year gift subscription card, it has a key on the card that must be used to activate your subscription. The instructions are on the card. You must subscribe from within OneCare with a LiveID and provide the key/token from the card or activate on the web and then click the subscribe link in OneCare to associate the installed trial with your subscription. All installs of OneCare start out as a trial until you subscribe or activate.

-steve

Thursday, May 29, 2008 1:33 PM
  • Thanks for adding that, Steve. I didn't realize there were such a thing as OneCare gift-card subscriptions. Nice idea, though

Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:47 PM
  • The gift cards are a promotional item. For example, last year at the Vista launch, I demonstrated Vista in a local Best Buy. Microsoft sent a large box of promotional items for me to give out to customers. Included in the box were gift cards for the store employees.

-steve

Thursday, May 29, 2008 7:08 PM