Server failure - how do set my old drives in a new server ? RRS feed

• Question

• The motherboard of my WHS is now defective. The OS was installed on a IDE drive, and all the data was on sata drives.

I then got another PC, and installed a new installation of WHS on it (the new computer did not have any IDE connectors, so I could not use the old IDE disk).

Now I have put one of the SATA drives into the the new server. However, I would like to keep my shares as they were. (So that Videos goes onto my 1.5 TB sata disk, and pictures still remain on the 500 GB disk). However, I can't find any way to make WHS recognice the disks, and use the existing shares. The only way I find is that I can import the disks, and then reformat the disks.

Is it not possible to import the disks, without deleteing all the contents ?

Friday, August 12, 2011 5:38 PM

All replies

• This is the procedure I used moving from WHS2011 RC to the production version - it should work for your situation also:

In Vail, moved all shared folders to my main 2TB data drive
        Shut down Vail and removed connections to 2TB drive and did a fresh WHS2011 install on the 500GB boot disk on which Server Folders were created.
        Shut down server and reconnect 2TB drive. Booted and renamed all Server Folders on 2TB drive as NameOld (e.g. MusicOld)
        Ran the Move Folder wizard from the Dashboard to move Shared folders from D: to E: (2TB drive).
        Logged in locally and moved files from MusicOld to Music (both on same 2TB disk) and deleted the NameOld folders.

This worked for all my data and took no time at all as there was no copying from disk to disk.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, August 12, 2011 6:53 PM